Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I recently installed a stage 3 ots tune from stratified and I started hearing a loud whistle coming from the driver side of the hood. I cannot be certain where it is coming from because it does not happen at idle nor at low rpms. It starts at around 2.5k under load and continues all the way to redline. I have checked all the intercooler piping and tightened them down, I have also checked the intake and tightened everything but I can still hear it. Max psi remains unhindered and idle boost pressure is around -10. When I flash back to stock or stage 1 i cannot hear it. Anyone have any ideas? It's driving me insane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
So I recently installed a stage 3 ots tune from stratified and I started hearing a loud whistle coming from the driver side of the hood. I cannot be certain where it is coming from because it does not happen at idle nor at low rpms. It starts at around 2.5k under load and continues all the way to redline. I have checked all the intercooler piping and tightened them down, I have also checked the intake and tightened everything but I can still hear it. Max psi remains unhindered and idle boost pressure is around 10. When I flash back to stock or stage 1 i cannot hear it. Anyone have any ideas? It's driving me insane.

I assume you mean idle it is at -10 and not 10 lol

But it is DEFINITELY not just increased turbo noise, right? (Obviously not trying to insult your intelligence. A tune increased the noise a little for me.)

Is it more of a whine or like...a leak sounding noise? Seeing as how it is on the drivers side, triple check the intake elbow and that behind it there isn't any air getting out. That little sleeve could have a crease it is leaking from.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I assume you mean idle it is at -10 and not 10 lol

But it is DEFINITELY not just increased turbo noise, right? (Obviously not trying to insult your intelligence. A tune increased the noise a little for me.)

Is it more of a whine or like...a leak sounding noise? Seeing as how it is on the drivers side, triple check the intake elbow and that behind it there isn't any air getting out. That little sleeve could have a crease it is leaking from.
Whoops haha got me there, yes I meant -10 fixed the typo.

I honestly don't know this is my 1st turbo car so I don't have an idea if it's suppose to be normal.

It's more of a whine almost like a plane turbine, I was assuming it was just the increase in boost and that It was normal but I just wanted to hear feedback before I leave it alone. I gotcha I'll check that out too.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Whoops haha got me there, yes I meant -10 fixed the typo.

I honestly don't know this is my 1st turbo car so I don't have an idea if it's suppose to be normal.

It's more of a whine almost like a plane turbine, I was assuming it was just the increase in boost and that It was normal but I just wanted to hear feedback before I leave it alone. I gotcha I'll check that out too.

Well in my car I have several sounds that can be heard.

Intake noise is just a suction sound that happens right in front of me and is loud enough I do in face hear it over my exhaust.

Exhaust noise, well you aren't stupid you know what that is. It can however be making contact and making a vibration noise...most likely not what this is though.

Turbo noise, I have a catless downpipe so it is much more prominent, but it's loud and awesome. You can distinctly hear my turbo whistling a high pitch whistle at all times when I'm above -1.0 boost when it is really spinning in there. Once I get to like 15psi it isn't nearly as easily heard though because exhaust drowns it out. That is usually the first surprising noise to first time turbo car drivers. You learn to love it though :cool:

If it isn't that, and it isn't the whistling from a boost leak, check the intake at all spots where it could leak...which is basically the elbow, where it attaches to the airbox, and where it attaches in the back of the engine bay on the passenger side.

Does the sound get louder depending on speed? Or is it only when you are on the gas? Does it get louder when you are REALLY getting on it and quiet when idling or coasting?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well in my car I have several sounds that can be heard.

Intake noise is just a suction sound that happens right in front of me and is loud enough I do in face hear it over my exhaust.

Exhaust noise, well you aren't stupid you know what that is. It can however be making contact and making a vibration noise...most likely not what this is though.

Turbo noise, I have a catless downpipe so it is much more prominent, but it's loud and awesome. You can distinctly hear my turbo whistling a high pitch whistle at all times when I'm above -1.0 boost when it is really spinning in there. Once I get to like 15psi it isn't nearly as easily heard though because exhaust drowns it out. That is usually the first surprising noise to first time turbo car drivers. You learn to love it though :cool:

If it isn't that, and it isn't the whistling from a boost leak, check the intake at all spots where it could leak...which is basically the elbow, where it attaches to the airbox, and where it attaches in the back of the engine bay on the passenger side.

Does the sound get louder depending on speed? Or is it only when you are on the gas? Does it get louder when you are REALLY getting on it and quiet when idling or coasting?
Yea I don't think it's the intake nor exhaust noise.

Well from the sound of it, I think it's turbo noise then haha. Like you said it's my first turbo car so my first instinct was to worry, but that makes me feel a lot better about it.

Yea I already checked all that, basically removed and reinstalled the intake just to make sure I didn't leave anything loose or unplugged. Only thing I haven't checked is the elbow.

No, it doesn't matter if I'm in 1st going 10mph or 6th going 70 it sounds the same. Yea it's more of how hard I'm on the gas, usually shift earlier now to avoid hearing it haha. It definitely gets louder if I go wot and yup when idle or coasting no whistle noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Yea I don't think it's the intake nor exhaust noise.

Well from the sound of it, I think it's turbo noise then haha. Like you said it's my first turbo car so my first instinct was to worry, but that makes me feel a lot better about it.

Yea I already checked all that, basically removed and reinstalled the intake just to make sure I didn't leave anything loose or unplugged. Only thing I haven't checked is the elbow.

No, it doesn't matter if I'm in 1st going 10mph or 6th going 70 it sounds the same. Yea it's more of how hard I'm on the gas, usually shift earlier now to avoid hearing it haha. It definitely gets louder if I go wot and yup when idle or coasting no whistle noise.

Look at your boost gauge on your accessport, watch it and see if the sound responds with the gauge. Starting at around -1psi or so depending on your downpipe you'll start hearing it as it picks up speed whistling. As it gets going around 6psi it's definitely obvious to hear. Find someone who knows what turbo noise is if you know anyone and have them listen, they should be able to confirm it quickly if that's what it is. That's the noise that makes car guys jealous/happy when you drive past them on the street at like 3-4k rpm

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

Look at your boost gauge on your accessport, watch it and see if the sound responds with the gauge. Starting at around -1psi or so depending on your downpipe you'll start hearing it as it picks up speed whistling. As it gets going around 6psi it's definitely obvious to hear. Find someone who knows what turbo noise is if you know anyone and have them listen, they should be able to confirm it quickly if that's what it is. That's the noise that makes car guys jealous/happy when you drive past them on the street at like 3-4k rpm
Alright sounds good I'll check that out, I really appreciate the help and advice man!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Alright sounds good I'll check that out, I really appreciate the help and advice man!

Sure thing my man, this was my first turbo car too :cool: once you know what it is you learn to love it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sure thing my man, this was my first turbo car too :cool: once you know what it is you learn to love it.
Hey man I flashed it down to stage 1 and can still hear it. I build boost on low rpm just to test it and I don't hear it only when it gets to 2k rpm and around -4 boost psi and up is when I hear it. I'm assuming now it's a leak. It does sound like turbo noise but it's too high pitched. I'm really stumped on what it is or how to even figure it out.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Hey man I flashed it down to stage 1 and can still hear it. I build boost on low rpm just to test it and I don't hear it only when it gets to 2k rpm and around -4 boost psi and up is when I hear it. I'm assuming now it's a leak. It does sound like turbo noise but it's too high pitched. I'm really stumped on what it is or how to even figure it out.

What are you peaking at with boost?

If you have an aftermarket intake change the filter back to stock and see if that's is a difference in noise

1 - 10 of 10 Posts