Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recall reading a thread a while back about someone who ran into this after a BT install, but I can't find the thread any more. Let me start off by listing my mods before the BT swap: Green filter with cap, Symposer delete, Velosatec bigger mouth snorkel and Levels FMIC. At this state the car had no strange noises or sounds.

I then installed a BT kit and a catted downpipe. From then on I now hear a whistling or more of a whining sound, almost like a supercharger wine, when the engine is under partial load. So if I accelerate very very slowly, I don't hear the whine. If I give it a bit more gas, I hear the whine while I am still in vacuum. As I continue to accelerate and give it more gas and get into higher rpms the whine goes away.

Is this normal?

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
The turbo spooling is *very* audible with my GTX turbo and catless downpipe. Prominent enough to turn people's heads on sidewalks and have other drivers comment on it at stop lights. Like you said, almost reminiscent of a supercharger whine, different but similar.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like your turbo making turbo noises. My car sounds like a diesel truck on the stock turbo and a catless downpipe.
The turbo spooling is *very* audible with my GTX turbo and catless downpipe. Prominent enough to turn people's heads on sidewalks and have other drivers comment on it at stop lights. Like you said, almost reminiscent of a supercharger whine, different but similar.
Thanks guys, I appreciate the replies. That might be it, I thought with a catted downpipe I wouldn't really hear that noise, but perhaps I was wrong. Do your turbo spooling noises go away after you get into 6 or 7 psi and up? Or do they remain constant? It's the fact that they go away in higher rpms or once I'm into boost levels above 6 psi that has me puzzled.

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
Thanks guys, I appreciate the replies. That might be it, I thought with a catted downpipe I wouldn't really hear that noise, but perhaps I was wrong. Do your turbo spooling noises go away after you get into 6 or 7 psi and up? Or do they remain constant? It's the fact that they go away in higher rpms or once I'm into boost levels above 6 psi that has me puzzled.
Mine is less noticeable the higher I get into boost. My assumption for the reasoning is that it's a combination of engine noise drowning it out and the whine increasing in tone to the edge or past what the human ear can pick up on.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Mine goes away with higher boost also, but it think that it's just drowned out by the engine and exhaust at that point

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts