Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have this whining noise when I’m in boost with moderate to WOT. Only mods I have are green filter with air box cover removed. I first noticed it was after I put on the green filter which was a few thousand miles ago. I took it to the dealership who blamed the green filter because it was “loose”. Today I decided to try it with no filter on and the sound is still there. Do I have a boost leak or is this normal? Car is 2016 focus st1 with about 20k miles. Here’s a short video of the noise.

https://youtu.be/-twxZHprmSk

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
That does not sound like the normal turbo noise to me... When I put on my new charge pipes, I had a very similar sound only under half to full boost but the AP showed I was still getting full boost (23+ psi) turns out a had a slightly loose t-bolt clamp. I'd check all the clamps and make sure they are all tight.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yeah my ST definitely doesn't sound like that. Sounds similar to super charger whine. I don't think it's boost leak because that sounds more like a hissing or air rushing sound. I would pressure the dealership to check it further. IIRC there was a user a while back who had their turbo completely fail and the dealership blamed it on a loose aftermarket filter saying that dust got into the turbo and damaged it. Hope that's not the case here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.