Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently swapped my engine since mine had a nice view hole in cyl 1 in between the alt and A/C comp. The came out of a escape with 50k on it. I had to swap the oil filter housing. I installed new flywheel bolts and made sure the clutch was lined up. Trans went on the engine without a fight and everything tightened up good. I did have to replace the driver side CV axle as the threads got messed when fighting to remove it. Transmission was replaced by ford at 37k. I put in 2 qts of motul dctf. Car shifts great and drives extremely well. I spun the turbo by hand when I was swapping it and it spun freely as well as didn’t seemed to have excessive play. Took it to my buddies repair shop and got the A/C recharged. He drove it and said sounds like input shaft bearing. The sound only shows up under moderate throttle and it usually makes it between 2k-2500 the goes away. Does not make any noise if I rev it in neutral with clutch pedal in or out. It sound like a supercharger whine. I am thinking maybe passenger side CV axle carrier bearing ? Or alternator, idler pulley or tensioner maybe even a serpentine belt ? This one has me puzzled. Only thing I have not done yet is lift the car and let it accel of the ground. Any thoughts on what could be causing this noise. It didn’t do it prior to engine failure which is why I am puzzled with it

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have aftermarket RMM, Cobb catted dp ,MBRP exhaust, stock filter with RS airbox lid, turbosmart 50/50 BOV

·
Registered
2014 focus st
16 Posts
Did you change the carrier bearing support for the passenger side? The one from the Escape is significantly different than the focus st and needs to be swapped over to the “new” engine to line up properly.

·
Registered
2013 Focus ST moondust silver
154 Posts
I'm just guessing here with limited info but the sound you described does present as a bearing noise..... Where? No clue

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can give more info. So if I take off with very little throttle the noise doesn’t show up but if I am at partial throttle I hear the noise. I am thinking the passenger side CV axle bearing

·
Registered
154 Posts
Given you said there was some trouble at removal it's probably not a bad place to start ✌

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The driver side was the one that gave me a hard time to remove but I replaced the one. The passenger side is still original. But the bearing so look pretty spent. It is greasy on the outside. I am pretty knowledgeable in auto repair. Given that the sound only happens briefly and it appears to be load dependent makes me lean more toward that bearing. It sounds like the middle of the car or passenger side. I am going to replace the CV axle and see what happens. Just don’t like throwing money at it to figure out what it is.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you change the carrier bearing support for the passenger side? The one from the Escape is significantly different than the focus st and needs to be swapped over to the “new” engine to line up properly.
I did change the support

·
Registered
154 Posts
Absolutely hear that loud and clear, there's nothing worse than being $1000 deep on new parts and an issue isn't resolved.... Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt!

·
Super Moderator
9,352 Posts
Absolutely hear that loud and clear, there's nothing worse than being $1000 deep on new parts and an issue isn't resolved.... Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt!
Pics or it didn't happen!

I like the soviet approach. Scorched earth.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts