Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well something came to my attention. Will i be getting beat by a fiesta st? I shore hope not. If anyone knows anything about the little beast please post.

:tree:

·
Registered
149 Posts
well something came to my attention. Will i be getting beat by a fiesta st? I shore hope not. If anyone knows anything about the little beast please post.

I've been following this thing as much as possible. Not for myself, but to convince a friend who wants the Focus ST but may not have the cash for one. Anyways, the Fiesta ST will have the 1.6L Ecoboost producing between 177-180 hp and essentially the same torque figure. It will also have a 6 speed manual, albeit with different gearing most likely. It hasn't been confirmed for the US yet, but the Euro spec model has an estimated 0-62 time of 6.5 secs, which means it should be darn close to the Focus ST. My guess is it will end up being just a couple tenths slower to 60, as Ford is usually conservative with performance estimates. Further, they've confirmed the Fiesta will employ the same electronic wizardry up front to help mitigate torque steer and increase lateral cornering grip. With its shorter wheelbase, I wouldn't be surprised if it can keep up with the Focus (or even surpass it) in the corners. Hats off to Ford for what looks to be another winner! I really hope they bring it stateside.

Edit: Price estimates put it around $21k.

·
Super Moderator
10,066 Posts
Just checked the curb weight of the 2013 Fiesta...just a little over 2500 pounds. Could be close; that's 700 pounds lighter!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
If the stock Fiesta ST outruns a Stock Focus ST, Ford's got some 'splainin to do. I'd demand a refund and go by a MS3 :)

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
3250/252 = 12.9 lbs per hp

2550/177 = 14.4 lbs per hp

Focus will be slightly faster....Fiesta may be 1.4 times as fun though, depending on how much yo like go-karts! :D

·
Super Moderator
10,066 Posts
If the stock Fiesta ST outruns a Stock Focus ST, Ford's got some 'splainin to do. I'd demand a refund and go by a MS3 :)
By the time the Fiesta ST comes it, it won't be out running my ST!!!

Reactions: rsattler26

·
Registered
149 Posts
3250/252 = 12.9 lbs per hp

2550/177 = 14.4 lbs per hp

Focus will be slightly faster....Fiesta may be 1.4 times as fun though, depending on how much yo like go-karts! :D
Good observation, but power-weight ratios aren't the only consideration in performance metrics. Traction and gearing will play a big role here. With that said, I'd be willing to bet that Ford will make sure the Fiesta trails the Focus, if even slightly. Now, on the aftermarket scene, who knows.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts

Are you shore?

·
Super Moderator
10,066 Posts
Pretty

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think the Fiesta ST will be very comparable to the older Focus SVTs in terms of performance, and could easily be a rice eater with a few mods. Personally, I would still rather have the larger car

·
Super Moderator
10,066 Posts
I think the Fiesta ST will be very comparable to the older Focus SVTs in terms of performance, and could easily be a rice eater with a few mods. Personally, I would still rather have the larger car
For me it would be like trying to drive a roller skate...

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Something to consider: The euro spec Focus ST seems to be a bit down on power compared to the North-American version. I would surmise this is caused by much stricter local emissions standards, forcing Ford to alter the factory tuning to conform to those rules. I would transpose this to the Fiesta's specs and add a couple more HPs and up to 10 more lbs of torque to a future N-A version. This would certainly give the Focus a run for its money... and make the Fiat Abarth irrelevant overnight. It could also aggressively eat into Mini sales... (which I wouldn't mind one bit since they've partly abused their dominant market position in years gone by with overly-priced products... at least in Canada).

That being said, I chose the ST over the Abarth not only for the power difference but because of the practicality. We took the kids to the Fiat dealer, had them sit in the car with us... and there was hardly any place to put groceries in the practically non-existent boot afterwards. So this was clearly not an option for a family guy... even one with a second, much larger car in the driveway. So I don't think the Fiesta ST would cannibalize Focus ST sales as much as give Fiat and Mini execs some sleepless nights... at least while nobody dies in a horrible car crash while desperately trying to have its Fiesta's MyFord Touch radio working... :p

·
Registered
345 Posts
Good synopsis there. I agree with most...if my ST is slower, Ford has some explaining to do. However, that will not take away from the many many perks of the vehicle as it is. That would be unfair.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Something to consider: The euro spec Focus ST seems to be a bit down on power compared to the North-American version.
It MIGHT be, but it might NOT be. Ford has definitely underrated the HP in the Focus ST in the US version. We KNOW this to be true. Wouldn't be a surprise if they underrated the Euro version also - ad possibly by that 5HP claimed difference. Maybe there's a reason benefitial to Ford to keep the advertised/claimed HP under 250 for the Euro version. Maybe they have to give it the lower rating based on something in their lowest quality fuel keeping the potential HP low.

I dunno - just thinking out loud...
:nerd:

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
haha.. I don't think I want to hear these words... "dude, you just got spanked by a Fiesta" :)

I bet the Fiesta ST is going to be one fun car to drive though!

Shameless plug for our sister site @ http://www.FiestaST.org :big smile:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah, it even bothers me that the Focus ST engine is basically available in the Fusion, too. Somehow makes the Focus ST feel less special. Hell, I could see my Mother in a Fusion, and if she got the fast one, a little part of me might weep inside.

But Ford isn't thinking about how to make the Focus special and unique, it's thinking that it has an award-winning engine in the EcoBoost. And, that the more form factors Ford puts it in, presumably the more cars that it'll sell.

So, really, the only thing you can do is enjoy your particular car and not worry about it. (Or you could always mod it.)

·
Registered
674 Posts
I'm not planning to go crazy on mods, so the power/speed doesnt bug me. Besides, I won't fit in a Fiesta anyway.

It just better not have a factory Backup Camera option...I would think that by the time the Fiesta is available, the Focus will be the more upscale model with additional options and the Fiesta will be the little go-fast gocart. Mark me, price-points will shift. and eventually if the Fiesta hits the NA shores and both thrive they may bring the BIG-Guy over and do a beefy RS build over here...DROOL!

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I'm not planning to go crazy on mods, so the power/speed doesnt bug me. Besides, I won't fit in a Fiesta anyway.

It just better not have a factory Backup Camera option...I would think that by the time the Fiesta is available, the Focus will be the more upscale model with additional options and the Fiesta will be the little go-fast gocart. Mark me, price-points will shift. and eventually if the Fiesta hits the NA shores and both thrive they may bring the BIG-Guy over and do a beefy RS build over here...DROOL!
Or they will just think "this ST thing is working great! Let's just do more of these!"

·
Premium Member
10,731 Posts
WWTGD: What would Top Gear Do? Heck, I'd even settle on an evaluation from Fifth Gear or even Motorweek right about now.

If we're lucky the 1.6 Ecoboost with 178hp or 197hp will have a head gasket problem like what's been seen in the Escape.

The 1.0L Ecoboost is expected to be speed limited to 115mph with a 0-60 time just over 9 seconds.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts