Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm feeling so conflicted. I'm planning to buy a 2014 ST3, but a 2015 ST2(?) just became available. I am a fan of the refreshed interior/steering wheel on the 2015, but I like the exterior of the 2014 more. The 2015 also looks like it needs a little paint work on the hood, and I'd swap those wheels to the ones the 2014 has. The 2015 has 20k fewer miles but it's a 3 owner car vs the 2014 being a 1 owner car and it still has low miles at 46k.

Which ST would you choose?

2014: 2014 Ford Focus ST - Carvana
2015: 2015 Ford Focus ST - Carvana
I wanted an ST3, but I found a 2016 ST2 that was in too good a shape to pass up. Overall, very happy.
Not sure if I could have gone to an ST1. (My first ST was an 2014 ST3)

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm feeling so conflicted. I'm planning to buy a 2014 ST3, but a 2015 ST2(?) just became available. I am a fan of the refreshed interior/steering wheel on the 2015, but I like the exterior of the 2014 more. The 2015 also looks like it needs a little paint work on the hood, and I'd swap those wheels to the ones the 2014 has. The 2015 has 20k fewer miles but it's a 3 owner car vs the 2014 being a 1 owner car and it still has low miles at 46k.

Which ST would you choose?

2014: 2014 Ford Focus ST - Carvana
2015: 2015 Ford Focus ST - Carvana
I have a 2014 with about 61K miles and despite how careful I am, the hood and front need paint work from the stone chips. It seems inevitable on the car.

Assuming both cars are stock, the 2015 is arguably the better car, all else being equal. It only has 20K miles, it's a year newer. The flip side is the 2014 doesn't have a lot of miles based on its age, it's a few grand cheaper. I think everybody else has given you pretty good advice.

·
Registered
'14 ST3
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks y'all. I decided to go with the 2014 after all! It's in fantastic shape as far as I can tell aside from a little curb rash on the wheels and some flaws in the paintwork here and there. I'm taking it to the mechanic first thing tomorrow for an inspection, compression and leakdown tests. If all is well I'll be keeping it and will start ordering upgrades (starting with the intercooler!). I really appreciate everyone's advice in this tread, it was super helpful and I feel like I made the right decision. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,761 Posts
Thanks y'all. I decided to go with the 2014 after all! It's in fantastic shape as far as I can tell aside from a little curb rash on the wheels and some flaws in the paintwork here and there. I'm taking it to the mechanic first thing tomorrow for an inspection, compression and leakdown tests. If all is well I'll be keeping it and will start ordering upgrades (starting with the intercooler!). I really appreciate everyone's advice in this tread, it was super helpful and I feel like I made the right decision. :)
Pre face lift are much better looking; especially from the back. Good choice!

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST1
2,180 Posts
At the mechanic now and it turns out it has an oil leak from somewhere, not sure where yet. Fuel injectors are also "extremely dirty".
Steering wheel change to flat bottomed facelift wheel is possible (and well worth it IMO), but it's not a trivial swap. It is however pretty well documented on here by myself and others.......

Vehicle Speedometer Motor vehicle Car Trip computer

·
Super Moderator
11,761 Posts
The compression test results came back bad.

1. 154
2. 120
3. 134
4. 135
This is what I dislike about Carvana and the like; they don't do any type of inspection upon pick up from the seller. If it can make it around the block and to the flatbed you get a check. And it also seems they do very little to nothing as far as presale inspection/maintenance. Very sorry for your having to deal with this; hopefully the return policy works better. Good for you on doing your due diligence though.

·
Registered
'14 ST3
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Yeah, I really appreciate the warning about Carvana. I fully believe they don't actually do their "150 point inspection" on the cars. There's no way that the oil leak could have been missed. Here's a link to the inspection and pics: BYOP X-PRESS WELLNESS CHECK

I'm looking at a 2022 Hyundai Veloster N now instead. Got the return process started on the ST. Y'all are awesome though, I really enjoyed this community while I was here. Y'all are super helpful and chill. Thanks again to everyone who contributed to the thread. :)

·
Registered
2018 ST1, Monster Adapt-X e30, CVF fmic, Woosh rmm
277 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
7,518 Posts
I'm looking at a 2022 Hyundai Veloster N now instead. Got the return process started on the ST. Y'all are awesome though, I really enjoyed this community while I was here. Y'all are super helpful and chill. Thanks again to everyone who contributed to the thread. :)
Not sure what your budget is but that Elantra N is a pretty wicked machine too. As far as I know it's the same drivetrain as the Veloster N but a lot more roomy car.

You're more than welcome to stick around, there are a few people here who don't have STs anymore and still hang out!

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Who performed the compression check?
Kind of unfortunate with that low of mileage that there's not good compression.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Why well worth it? I peronally hate flat bottomed steering wheels

Personal opion the fog light on the 13-14 are better looking. 15+ bumper looks like a soggy wrinkly diaper. 13-14 isnt much better but is slightly better. Backup cameras are great but a pretty easy add to 13-14 with factory styling. Snow flakes look better then premiums for most colors. ST3 is pretty nice.

Steering wheel change to flat bottomed facelift wheel is possible (and well worth it IMO), but it's not a trivial swap. It is however pretty well documented on here by myself and others.......

21 - 40 of 43 Posts