Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a bunch of different kits with different accessories. Is the base model sufficient for the ST? Also, the tubes that go in the reservoir cap all seem to mount vertically. Does this bump into the cowl and cause a problem?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
552 Posts
The base model works fine... Here is how I did it last time:
21468166383_8b142e5928_b.jpg

Reactions: SteelGatorB8

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
552 Posts
so, recently my Motive power bleeder hose (the thick rubber hose that attaches to the main plastic container) burst while it had 1.25L of brake fluid and probably under 8psi. I sent an email to Motive Products and they graciously mentioned they would ship out a new hose to me at no cost. But, they did mention that they recommend replacing them every 3~4 years and that they should be cleaned properly after each use.

I dont think rubber gets affected when in touch with brake fluid, although i can understand if not stored correctly (hot cold variances) it will cripple over time, but never knew they only had a service span of 3~4 years, I guess Motive is just now being cautious. And how does one clean a brake fluid hose? I normally just store it away, as its SOLE purpose is for brake flushes, do you guys have a certain way to clean these hose?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
so, recently my Motive power bleeder hose (the thick rubber hose that attaches to the main plastic container) burst while it had 1.25L of brake fluid and probably under 8psi. I sent an email to Motive Products and they graciously mentioned they would ship out a new hose to me at no cost. But, they did mention that they recommend replacing them every 3~4 years and that they should be cleaned properly after each use.

I dont think rubber gets affected when in touch with brake fluid, although i can understand if not stored correctly (hot cold variances) it will cripple over time, but never knew they only had a service span of 3~4 years, I guess Motive is just now being cautious. And how does one clean a brake fluid hose? I normally just store it away, as its SOLE purpose is for brake flushes, do you guys have a certain way to clean these hose?
The manual says to run some denatured alcohol through the system to clean it. But, I think the hardware they use is what causes weakness over time. The cap and the fittings should spin freely of the hose to keep them from pinching and binding with each rotation. I'm going to try to source replacement hardware for mine.

It was nice of them to send you a new hose!

My power bleeding adventures were not as dramatic! Everything thing went really well. I even had enough fluid left over to bleed the soon-to-be-bought-back Jetta TDI. All I kept thinking about as I was using the thing was how I should have bought one years ago. I've bled my brakes so many time at the track that I swear I could do it blind folded. Heck, I think you helped me at least once @blanchimont.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The manual says to run some denatured alcohol through the system to clean it. But, I think the hardware they use is what causes weakness over time. The cap and the fittings should spin freely of the hose to keep them from pinching and binding with each rotation. I'm going to try to source replacement hardware for mine.

It was nice of them to send you a new hose!

My power bleeding adventures were not as dramatic! Everything thing went really well. I even had enough fluid left over to bleed the soon-to-be-bought-back Jetta TDI. All I kept thinking about as I was using the thing was how I should have bought one years ago. I've bled my brakes so many time at the track that I swear I could do it blind folded. Heck, I think you helped me at least once @blanchimont.
Manual says Denatured alcohol but will any rubbing alcohol do? And just swirl it around the bottle, run it through the tubes right.

·
Super Moderator
8,533 Posts
Manual says Denatured alcohol but will any rubbing alcohol do? And just swirl it around the bottle, run it through the tubes right.
Rubbing alcohol is a type of denatured alcohol; it is of surgical quality where as basic denatured is more of a cleaning solvent.

Reactions: okaythen
1 - 11 of 11 Posts