Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've got a few questions regarding the protection films.

I had the Headlight Armor blue film but even with stock fogs/bulbs they turned brown in short order and now after a couple of years they are scorched up and need replacement ... are Lamin-x any better?

Lamin-x seem to be cheaper and have a 5 year warranty so I'm leaning towards them...

is there much difference between 15ml on H.A. and 12 on Lamin-x as far as protection goes?

Also I've got a 2014 year ST and see 2 part numbers for lamin-x (a 100 series # and a 400 series #) is one better?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds fine by me... last time I did "headlight Armor" which degraded and burned off within the first year even with stock bulbs... and they are almost twice the price with no warranty... I think I'll risk the Lamin-X this time.. 5 year warranty and more or less the same.. I think H.A is maybe 2 or 3 mm thicker.. but with no warranty, much more expensive and degrading in 1 year.. screw them... 2 uses of them is the price of a new fog light anyway so to hell with that... mine browned up in the first 6 months and went worse from there... the only plus I can give to them is my fog light didn't crack last year.. so I guess that is a bonus... I'm pretty sure brand new lamin-x will be better than rotting headlight armor remnants anyway...

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Zokambaa, PM sent.

From time to time we have had reports of customers overheating the adhesive on small fog lights. Given how many fog light protection kits we sell the percentage is extremely low. As with anything it is possible to damage them. As far as burning the adhesive goes, if you burned the adhesive on ours, you will burn the adhesive on anything else you apply, no matter the source if the cause / use is not changed. I would suggest looking into led replacements as they tend to run cooler on the front side.

We have contacted several LED retrofit manufactures over the past few years. While none could quantify how hot the LED Blubs they offer ran, they did state that they run a lot cooler on the lens side than any type of halogen bulbs would. Might be something to look into.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
nope.. I have stock bulbs on a 2014 ST... everything on my car is stock except oil.. they put mobil 1 in mine the last couple oil changes...
plus I am in Alberta Canada... so way colder than any US state other than Alaska and I rarely am stuck in stop-and-go traffic...

no warranty and more expensive than Lamin-X kind of puts me off getting Headlight Armor again... I save 5-10 bucks getting Lamin-x and get a 5 year warranty with them.. please.. tell me why I should spend more and get less assurance buying headlight armour a 2nd time???

This link has some pix of my "protected" fog lights

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/zokambaa/library/Whats this?sort=3&page=1

Zokambaa, PM sent.

From time to time we have had reports of customers overheating the adhesive on small fog lights. Given how many fog light protection kits we sell the percentage is extremely low. As with anything it is possible to damage them. As far as burning the adhesive goes, if you burned the adhesive on ours, you will burn the adhesive on anything else you apply, no matter the source if the cause / use is not changed. I would suggest looking into led replacements as they tend to run cooler on the front side.

We have contacted several LED retrofit manufactures over the past few years. While none could quantify how hot the LED Blubs they offer ran, they did state that they run a lot cooler on the lens side than any type of halogen bulbs would. Might be something to look into.

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Tried to help via PM but,

Zokambaa said:
I don't really care do discuss this anymore
Will do. Sorry it did not work out for you. Good luck with your next solution, but I would suggest looking into a LED retrofit as if you managed to burn the adhesive on ours you will burn the adhesive on any other option you find if you don't change what was causing the issue in the first place.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, well with a fully stock vehicle and this issue happening without even offering to replace the defective parts didn't play well with me.. at least if I choose Lamin-x I can get a replacement within 5 years if it rots like the headlight armor did... I don't enjoy spending money on products that do not work as expected.. so even if lamin-x are garbage a 5 year warranty means I'll be replacing them often if they are garbage like the headlight armor ones were (again yes I have a fully stock car so no over-watt bulbs on mine) the only plus I can give to headlight armor is the glass hasn't broken yet.. then again I didn't drive much in the past 2 years during the winter so who knows how they would have lasted rotting in 6 months if I drove my car a lot during the last couple winters.

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
I thought you did not want to discuss this anymore? We PM'd you and you were quite clear on that point in your reply. We respected that.

For the record, best we can tell you placed your order early in 2014 (we have sold just one blue fog light application for a Focus ST going to Calgary). In Jan 2015 you sent a pm with the following

I am considering swapping out my bulbs for some slightly more blue fog lights that are supposed to be decent and are still in the same wattage as stock

I doubt you have a warranty on the product now that I had them over a year even though the bad one was on for only a couple months, but I figured I'd check if you had any one off spares that you'd willing to ship to me to fix the bad one. or maybe a discount to replace the single bad one since the other is fine still.

I didn't see the site allowing for single light protector shipping so I figured I'd check.... I don't need it right away so the cheapest shipping would be fine...and I'm sure even a simple letter envelope would suffice... I'm willing to pay for a single replacement but would hate to pay full price for a defective product and rather not waste my money if it is going to happen again... I'll leave the bad one on so the glass doesn't break... I only really notice it when the car is clean and the lights are on anyway so it is not a huge issue
We replied to your concerns and provided a link to a single side as requested. That was nearly 3 years ago. You did not take up the original offer and we have not heard back from you. As it stands you have had the originals for now close to four years. We happened to see your original post and proactively contacted you via PM looking to see what we could do. Your pm reply was clear that you did not want to discuss the issue with us but here you are. We have tried to help you out but clearly this is not something you are currently interested in.

Again, sorry things did not work out for you. We understand you are not happy with how long they lasted for you, but are at a loss as to your blunt refusal for help. If you change your mind and do want our help resolving your issue please PM us back with your name / order number and we will get your issue resolved.

No matter how you go forward our original recommendation of looking for a LED retrofit stands.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I thought you did not want to discuss this anymore? We PM'd you and you were quite clear on that point in your reply. We respected that.

For the record, best we can tell you placed your order early in 2014 (we have sold just one blue fog light application for a Focus ST going to Calgary). In Jan 2015 you sent a pm with the following

We replied to your concerns and provided a link to a single side as requested. That was nearly 3 years ago. You did not take up the original offer and we have not heard back from you. As it stands you have had the originals for now close to four years. We happened to see your original post and proactively contacted you via PM looking to see what we could do. Your pm reply was clear that you did not want to discuss the issue with us but here you are. We have tried to help you out but clearly this is not something you are currently interested in.

Again, sorry things did not work out for you. We understand you are not happy with how long they lasted for you, but are at a loss as to your blunt refusal for help. If you change your mind and do want our help resolving your issue please PM us back with your name / order number and we will get your issue resolved.

No matter how you go forward our original recommendation of looking for a LED retrofit stands.
Well it sure seems like you guys tried to do the right thing. I had both the headlights and fog lights covered on my last ST with your products and had no issues. I'll probably be purchasing another set for my new one. No issues at all with HA as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I never did change bulbs and I did ask about it but got brushed off with the same line about me using aftermarket bulbs which I never did, In this thread, I was looking for alternatives to H.A since I didn't feel like spending money on something that degrades in short order and has no warranty. I didn't feel like discussing it with you because you keep saying I am using aftermarket bulbs when my car is stock and you have no warranty to back up a product when it fails prematurely.. I am looking for alternatives not going down the same path without a warrant, and they are not cheap, they sell the covers for 19.95 but then what would fit in an envelope somehow costs $29.90 to ship to Canada, I had a whole gas cap, ignition switch and seat lock set shipped for less than $15 from the US so $49.85 is a rip off for something with no warranty, the same thing from Lamin-X is $14.95 + $9.95 shipping and they have a 5 year warranty so I think that will be my next choice... they aren't in it to rip people off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am planning to grab Lamin-x as well, for all the lights I've got, including taillights. Good that you noted that that's something one should not do with zero experience... I haven't thought it's complicated...

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I had no problem spending a few more dollars to buy from Headlight armor being a forum vendor, great customer service. If I have to spend an extra 6 dollars to buy theirs just for some film over my fog lights it's not like I care much about the cost. And the warranty, well if it burns or something then oh well I'm out what? 16 dollars here in 3 years? I'll live. Hope everything works out for you! Just providing my reasoning for going H.A. and not having an issue.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I ordered a set for my fogs and now I have a black ring around the front of them. I'm going to contact fswerks to see about getting them replaced. have some on my 04 svt and my 01 zx3 and haven't ever had any issues. don't get me wrong I still like the way they look but would be happier without the black ring around them

·
Registered
26 Posts
I ordered a set for my fogs and now I have a black ring around the front of them. I'm going to contact fswerks to see about getting them replaced. have some on my 04 svt and my 01 zx3 and haven't ever had any issues. don't get me wrong I still like the way they look but would be happier without the black ring around them
^ I have this exact issue. I've had my yellow Lamin-x fog light covers for almost 3 years now, and because I like to show them off I always have my fog lights turned on when my headlights are on. Well not I have black/brown spots in the middle of each one almost like they burned from the bulbs' heat. We'll see if that 5-year warranty covers this!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
^ I have this exact issue. I've had my yellow Lamin-x fog light covers for almost 3 years now, and because I like to show them off I always have my fog lights turned on when my headlights are on. Well not I have black/brown spots in the middle of each one almost like they burned from the bulbs' heat. We'll see if that 5-year warranty covers this!
Grab some LED bulbs it helps tremendously with the lower heat. Also, have fun scraping that off...it was a total PITA for me to scrape the burnt film off of mine. Still haven't put my new H.A. film on yet since it's been cold and it's recommended to do it in the warm. Unless I go get an extension cord and hair dryer lol

·
Registered
2016 ST1, FBO, GTX2867R Gen2 .64-AR, Spec stage 2 clutch, Quaife LSD, Fortune Auto 500 coil-overs.
328 Posts
Buy a roll of vinyl, pull out fog lights and put it over entire light, I've tried a few different brands and none fit quite right and needed to be cut.. That's my suggestion. Are you looking for a particular color or just a protective film?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts