Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'll admit it. I'm itching to replace the downpipe in my car. I already have the MBRP stainless (T304) cat back exhaust installed, so a new downpipe will need to complement this system.

I'm looking at 4 different pipes, 2 from Depo and 2 others I found on eBay (don't judge me) and want some feedback from the community.

First of all, do I go cat, or catless?

Second (if opinion is catless) do I wait for the Depo pipe, or pick up one of these units:

1320 3" 13-17 FORD FOCUS ST DOWNPIPE with megaphone 2.0L ECOBOOST CATLESS TURBO | eBay

For Ford Focus ST 2.0L Ecoboost 13 up 3" Catless Flex Turbo Downpipe bolt-on | eBay

Are either of the eBay units worth the money? Or would I just be pissing away my cash?

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

·
Registered
408 Posts
As far as cat or catless, that depends on your state. If you have emissions a catless will fail. If not catless is the best. I have a depo catless and it's been solid since day one

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As far as cat or catless, that depends on your state. If you have emissions a catless will fail. If not catless is the best. I have a depo catless and it's been solid since day one

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
No emissions in my county so not an issue.

I emailed Tim at Depo Racing, and he should have the catless pipe back in stock in about 4 weeks.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

·
Registered
483 Posts
I bought a Depo catted pipe myself. I didn't want the possible headache of a catless pipe or extra noise for just a little bit more horsepower.

Reactions: jbeatzs31

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
CJ Pony Parts has a house brand downpipe available in catted or catless. I have the catted version. Very solid looking build quality, just have to get my lazy butt out there and put it on my car.
View attachment 255113

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
That was the little woman's X-Mas gift a couple years ago. That damn thing set me back about 6 bills. Didn't even know you could spend that much on a rug!!! All that scratch for something you walk all over?

·
Registered
162 Posts
CJ Pony Parts has a house brand downpipe available in catted or catless. I have the catted version. Very solid looking build quality, just have to get my lazy butt out there and put it on my car.
View attachment 255113
Same pipe I just put on my car.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought a Depo catted pipe myself. I didn't want the possible headache of a catless pipe or extra noise for just a little bit more horsepower.
What did the catted version do to your exhaust note? Is there any drone when cruising at highway speeds?

I realize that a catless pipe is going to be louder than catted, and loud to a degree is okay. Drone that rattles your teeth is not.

My end goal here is to have a car that has more spunk than OE for the ocassional autocross while maintaining daily drivability.

Im also trying to swap the DP, and the FMIC soon so budgeting is playing a role here too.

The Depo catted pipe is $290, catless is $200.

CJPP and the other catless pipes I linked are running $179-$300.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
How's the sound? Louder? Quieter than expected? Drone at all? What cat back do you have?
Still have the stock exhaust. The catted pipe added a little more volume and a slightly deeper tone. Inside the cabin it's about as loud as the symposer was before I removed it. No drone at all though.

Reactions: jbeatzs31

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Still have the stock exhaust. The catted pipe added a little more volume and a slightly deeper tone. Inside the cabin it's about as loud as the symposer was before I removed it. No drone at all though.
So you still have the stock exhaust? When you went from the 3" downpipe what type/size gasket did you use to connect to the 2.5" stock system? I have the CJ catted downpipe and am going to a Mountune catback. I asked this question a while back but can't find the thread.

·
Registered
162 Posts
So you still have the stock exhaust? When you went from the 3" downpipe what type/size gasket did you use to connect to the 2.5" stock system? I have the CJ catted downpipe and am going to a Mountune catback. I asked this question a while back but can't find the thread.
I bought a 2.5" gasket to hook it up to the stock exhaust. Install was easy. Biggest pain was removing the stock pipe.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I recently picked up a used PLM catless for $120 off craigslist locally! Fit perfectly and the welds looked good still minus all the naysayers on it, I may just trim the leg mounts a tad as some have suggested to keep from rubbing/vibrating as they do come a lil close to the mount... quick dremel fix though.

It's actually quieter than the stock cat at this point (I'm running stock exhaust with resonator delete currently)... you can hear the turbo whistle a lil more, which is nice.

·
Registered
228 Posts
you don't gain much at all going catless vs catted. Catless smells, you'll gain that... and extra noise.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
you don't gain much at all going catless vs catted. Catless smells, you'll gain that... and extra noise.

I believe it mostly depends on which cat you're running, and who your tuner is.

The OEM cat can be rather restrictive.

·
Registered
228 Posts

OEM, sure. But all the aftermarket pipes have way less cells in the cat and from everything i have seen, it's not much difference between cat and catless in the aftermarket ...maybe 5hp.

I'm also a bit hippy in that regard... I like cleaner air and the stink from catless I can do without, esp in stop and go traffic. But I digress.

>> Catless is cheaper and will ensure you don't get a cheap cat.... but at that point, If you are going catless, no point in spending for a name brand if you know ebay pipes will fit. It's just a pipe at that point.

·
Administrator
11,874 Posts

Well I believe he is talking about catted/catless in an aftermarket pipe.

The OEM DP regardless of the cat's cell count, has that horrible restricting flattened 90 degree bend in it. Which is the real problem, not so much the cat.

·
Administrator
11,874 Posts
OEM, sure. But all the aftermarket pipes have way less cells in the cat and from everything i have seen, it's not much difference between cat and catless in the aftermarket ...maybe 5hp.

I'm also a bit hippy in that regard... I like cleaner air and the stink from catless I can do without, esp in stop and go traffic. But I digress.

>> Catless is cheaper and will ensure you don't get a cheap cat.... but at that point, If you are going catless, no point in spending for a name brand if you know ebay pipes will fit. It's just a pipe at that point.

I have seen cheaper DP flex sections come apart, not to mention the corrosion factor due to cheaper materials. If you have winters and/or keep you car outdoors, rust will happen.

Buy once, cry once is more my take on these things. Buy something that will last, that is serviceable. Use plenty of anti-seize. Who knows when you might have to pull it again.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts