Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The videos of the borla seem to be the only ones that pick up turbo sound but I'm considering the magma flow as well. If there is one that makes the more pronounced let me know too.

·
Registered
816 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
well obviously but that's why I'm asking about a cat back with stock down pipe. I m going to wait until my warranty expires to do that.
Most likely catback will drown out the turbo sound with noise since the catback won't help it breathe much better than the stock system. If you want turbo sounds throw on a high flow/green filter and take the lid off your airbox. You won't go back and you won't affect the warranty (no guarantees I'm not liable if you suck a bird into your airbox or something ridiculous)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not necessarily after hearing while on the throttle. I get what you guys are saying about the catback drowning it out. What I noticed about the borla was when you let off the throttle the videos are picking up the turbo spooling down which if the videos pick it up I'm sure it's very noticeable in person.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I don't care so much about hearing the turbo...I want the crackles. So Borla seems to also fulfill that. Anything better for that than the Borla?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Reactions: HBGeek

·
Registered
138 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
I don't have an AP yet, but I thought about that. Only thing is, isn't that likely to burn out my cat? I've also been holding back on a downpipe because of that. But I've only had the car for a month and a half, so I'm sure in a few months I'll be reconsidering this.
It can, anytime you increase the fuel being burned in your exhaust system you run the risk of fouling your cat quicker than normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Borla paired with downpipe will give you good turbo sound.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Roush did a pretty good job for me when I had a stock dp. Its the closest you will get without going straight pipe.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
If you want just a CBE that shows off the turbo spool, check out flowmaster American thunder, or borla

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you want just a CBE that shows off the turbo spool, check out flowmaster American thunder, or borla
My only concern about the American Thunder is the fact the pipe diameter is actually smaller than factory. I've read 2 1/2 is good up to 300hp which seems to pan out because montune now offers a 300hp package utilizing their 2 1/2 exhaust system.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm running a catted MagnaFlow downpipe and stock catback; I get an intoxicating turbo whistle at low rpm as it spools up. By 3k it's too high pitched to hear (darn tiny snail) but before that it sounds great and with light throttle I can drag it out for quite a while.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Build your own
This is with the stock downpipe.

Catless obviously you'll get much more whistle.
A local tuner shop said it be about the same cost to build a custom exhaust so why not buy a system that was actually tested and researched. Also having a lifetime warranty is even better.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Roush did a pretty good job for me when I had a stock dp. Its the closest you will get without going straight pipe.
Some people have complained about how Roush has very noticeable drone though? Also one guy commented about how the magnaflow CBE had a high pitch noise that annoyed him under heavy throttle and I'm curious to know if anyone else has the same issue?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Some people have complained about how Roush has very noticeable drone though? Also one guy commented about how the magnaflow CBE had a high pitch noise that annoyed him under heavy throttle and I'm curious to know if anyone else has the same issue?
Drone is my biggest issue with most CBE's because I don't want headaches on the way to get groceries lol (plenty of mountains to go up around here and kill your ears). High pitch noises are rather odd, so maybe that guy had a leak or vibe causing it?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Drone is my biggest issue with most CBE's because I don't want headaches on the way to get groceries lol (plenty of mountains to go up around here and kill your ears). High pitch noises are rather odd, so maybe that guy had a leak or vibe causing it?
Yeah I'm in the same boat I'm just stuck on deciding between magnaflow or borla. I don't know if I'm really wanting balls to the wall loud because I often give the car some throttle so I get the feeling I'm going to be loud as **** a good portion of the time. On the other hand I feel the appearance of my white with red stripe package is deserving of the borla. Borla seems to be the most unique sound of them all while the magnaflow seems to sound like your typical aftermarket exhaust. A part of me wants the uniqueness so you don't even have to see my car for even the average joe to say hey wait that must be the one red striped focus I saw before.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts