Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get a new bpv/bov to buy. Either mountune or turbosmart. Anyone have any opinions. Yet I am an st noob willit affect my gas mileage?

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
well.... do you want to hear it or not?

if=yes;then=mountune
if=no;then=turbosmart

and...no

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Be obnoxious and break necks like VenomousSVT and I and get the Boomba Racing BOV. Loudest option available. Great company too.

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
pssssshhhhhh

Reactions: lx_2nv

·
Registered
162 Posts
Turbosmart dual BOV is pretty nice. You can make it quiet or you can set it to be loud.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Turbosmart dual BOV is pretty nice. You can make it quiet or you can set it to be loud.
its not adjustable anymore...

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
If you're referring to the Mountune recirculation valve, no you will not hear that. I have it, and I certainly don't hear it. But then again I didn't want to hear it anyway. If I wanted to hear it I would have bought a BOV.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you're referring to the Mountune recirculation valve, no you will not hear that. I have it, and I certainly don't hear it. But then again I didn't want to hear it anyway. If I wanted to hear it I would have bought a BOV.
any noticeable differences with it ?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
silly question...the boomba you have @VenomousSVT did you have to do a tune on that or is it safe to upgrade without worry
You don't have to tune for any blow off valves. It's a direct replacement.

When I purchased my car from the dealership used it had the Boomba already installed and was stock tune and only had an intake. It's by far my favorite BOV option because it's loud and sounds heavenly. Plus, it turns head and distinguishes my car as "not just a Focus."

Edit: I will add, however, that the stock electronic boost control solenoid is awful and it will cause issues with any of the options available where you are going like 80mph with the accelerator in the same position or cruise control on and it'll go "Psst.....psst.....psst...." if you hold at a certain psi of boost like -1.0psi. It's the cars way of making sure you aren't holding your engine at a load if you don't need to...but if you sit on the threshold at 80mph it's very annoying. It'll also go off often when accelerating when it doesn't need to. The way to fix it is simple. You either get a tune and request your tuner to adjust it, or you run a vacuum line from your symposer delete (if you have one) to the bov for a true physical boost source. If you go the second route it's like a 2 dollar fix and really simple. If you do that, it'll ONLY go off when it needs to.

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
silly question...the boomba you have @VenomousSVT did you have to do a tune on that or is it safe to upgrade without worry
you dont have to change anything to run a BOV on our cars. They run perfectly fine on a stock car.

·
Banned
7,049 Posts

When I purchased my car from the dealership used it had the Boomba already installed and was stock tune and only had an intake. It's by far my favorite BOV option because it's loud and sounds heavenly. Plus, it turns head and distinguishes my car as "not just a Focus."

Edit: I will add, however, that the stock electronic boost control solenoid is awful and it will cause issues with any of the options available where you are going like 80mph with the accelerator in the same position or cruise control on and it'll go "Psst.....psst.....psst...." if you hold at a certain psi of boost like -1.0psi. It's the cars way of making sure you aren't holding your engine at a load if you don't need to...but if you sit on the threshold at 80mph it's very annoying. It'll also go off often when accelerating when it doesn't need to. The way to fix it is simple. You either get a tune and request your tuner to adjust it, or you run a vacuum line from your symposer delete (if you have one) to the bov for a true physical boost source. If you go the second route it's like a 2 dollar fix and really simple. If you do that, it'll ONLY go off when it needs to.
i wont argue with this "edit" however I will add, it seems it only effects some people. Mine on a stock tune didnt react any differently than after I tuned. I only ran to an external source for testing purposes. I'm back on the solenoid now though.

·
Registered
198 Posts

Thanks, I just was not sure since going from a divert-er valve to a atmo valve i though might be a little different on the turbo system.

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
Thanks, I just was not sure since going from a divert-er valve to a atmo valve i though might be a little different on the turbo system.
on cars with a mass air flow sensor IF the air has been sampled it will need to remain in the back side of the intake path and cant be released from the intake. With map cars you dont run into this as its reading pressure via the intake and adjusting.

I ran a BOV on my procharged cobra, sounded like a big turbo car. However I had to run a blow through MAF.. so my MAF was tuned AFTER the blower and my BOV was between my intercooler and MAF.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts