Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I haven't been into suspension related things since I was into drag racing in my late teens and early twenties.
I know **** all about suspension mods for our car.

Since I'm basically finishes with performance mods on my car, it's time to do some suspension upgrades, but where do I begin?

Performance wise, I'm looking for better cornering while back roading without sacrificing ride etc. too much. Not really interested in slamming my car or anything like that. All suspension mods would be performance oriented.

I'd like to eventually run coilovers with minimal lowering in the front, but maybe like 1/2" more in the rear to give the car a more level look, but from what I've read they require wheel spacers(nope won't do them for many reasons)
or different offset wheels(costly but maybe some day)

Strut tower braces?
end links
traction bars/sway bars?

Bilstien B8's with Swift springs :D? I've seen that mentioned enough to know it's a good non coilover setup.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
10,505 Posts
Pretty much any springs with B8's is going to be a good set up. I have B8's with Eibach Pro Kit springs and like them. No fussing with height adjustments, which I know I would be doing constantly if I had coil overs. Mountune Club Sport, basically B8's with their version of the Pro Kit springs, comes assembled and ready to go on the car.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Either the B8 idea or a set of YCW Coilovers ( @UnfocusedST 's install: http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-builds/40876-unfocusedst-s-2013-st2-build-58.html#post1548162 ) or something will get you where you need to be. Realistically, all the top options are nearly identical in performance. Budget and subtle differences in ride height are the only variation typically.

I will say, that upgrading suspension but not wanting to upgrade to a lighter more nimble aftermarket wheel leaves you at a disadvantage. A lighter wheels makes a MUCH bigger impact than you think, plus having additional room due to offset changes means you open up yourself to many more options suspension wise.

Keep in mind the TB Performance traction bars, sway bars (Strano bar for the win), and of course endlink upgrades. All of these transform this car big time, especially with a set of sub-20lb wheels.

·
Premium Member
13,994 Posts
@brian60 pretty much hit the nail on the head. If you are looking as coilovers make sure you get a set that doesn't upset the factory front/rear balance. I noticed a huge improvement going from Fortune Autos to YCWs on this car. From the factory we have a higher spring rate in the rear vs the front. Alot of aftermarket coilovers are opposite. Drop springs are typically balanced correctly for this car.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Hi Angry,

I will be paying close attention to your suspension upgrade path. Your ST modifications seem to be following a similar path to mine.

I placed an order for the Mountune Clubsport package which I am not 100% certain I will ever receive as the status shows unavailable. I will definitely be paying attention to what you do and what your impressions are.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guess I will strongly consider wheels first then.
Into planning mode!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I placed an order for the Mountune Clubsport package which I am not 100% certain I will ever receive as the status shows unavailable
It is worth the wait and if you are patient you will get it. The kit routinely back orders, particularly around holidays (sales). I waited a month or two for mine. Contacted them at one point for an ETA. They did not have one at the time, but told me they were waiting on dampers to come in from Bilstein.

Reactions: BCE22

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so what are some good lightweight wheels I might not be aware of?
TSW Bathursts for example?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
What size where you looking at? If your sticking with 18's enkei has a wide selection that are pretty light weight. Konig has some as well. You can also source some of the vendors on here for Gram Lights, Wed Sport, and even Advan if your willing to spend the extra money and wait.

·
Registered
783 Posts
so what are some good lightweight wheels I might not be aware of?
TSW Bathursts for example?
Team Dynamics. 18x8 weigh less than 20 lbs.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would be sticking with 18x8's
what offset is stock, and what offset would I want if I was planning on running coilovers?

·
Registered
236 Posts
If you don't mind my asking, what OEM suspension part have you exceeded the handling on? Are you only doing back roads, or are you doing track days and, or auto x? I've tracked on stock suspension as well as on modified. Stock does the job just fine. Most people upgrade for looks, a few for performance. The only reason I'd go coils is if I was tracking way more than 2-5 times a year. With coils its possible to 'corner balance' the car for handling. So if performance is your goal, get coils and don't waste time on springs.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I would be sticking with 18x8's
what offset is stock, and what offset would I want if I was planning on running coilovers?
Stock offset is 55. The TD 1.2’s come in several offsets. I ran a 42 offset with ground control/koni coilovers on my first ST with no problem.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Stock offset is 55. The TD 1.2’s come in several offsets. I ran a 42 offset with ground control/koni coilovers on my first ST with no problem.
Thank you sir!

Reactions: CDB
1 - 16 of 16 Posts