Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to install subs on my own. I have a lc2 unit and I was wondering if I could use the wires going into the sony amp and splice them for the lc2. Would this work or should i just remove the dash and pop it in there?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
If you have the Sony amp, you HAVE to tap into the amps speaker output wires. Best would be to use the front door woofer pair.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have the Sony amp, you HAVE to tap into the amps speaker output wires. Best would be to use the front door woofer pair.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Would those be the wires from the head unit to the amp? Or the wires from the amp to the speaker itself?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
"Amps Speaker Output"

the Amp's Output to the Speakers.

right there AT the amp, already in the back of the car.

the only wires between the radio and the amp (other than non audio data wires) is a 2 channel, non-fading (means the volume doesn't change when you turn the knob) analog signal. and those would be called the "Radio's Signal Outputs" or "Amp's Signal Inputs"

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just installed a LOC in my car this past Friday, I have an ST1 so I guess a bit easier.. nonetheless, I tapped into the front speakers:

Plain white: left front +
White/Brown: left front -
violet/white: right front +
orange/white: right front -

Hope that helps

·
Registered
236 Posts
This litteraly did not give me any info I'm trying to install this LOC in an ST1 model 2016. The radio has two plugs one with allot of wires and one with 5 which is the same amount as my LOC 5. I have no clue which wires go to what on the LOC.

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST1
1,663 Posts
This litteraly did not give me any info I'm trying to install this LOC in an ST1 model 2016. The radio has two plugs one with allot of wires and one with 5 which is the same amount as my LOC 5. I have no clue which wires go to what on the LOC.
That's quite a lot of info actually! You need to study the audio system wiring diagrams - I have them if you need

·
Registered
236 Posts
That's quite a lot of info actually! You need to study the audio system wiring diagrams - I have them if you need

Clueless on which to use I wish I knew but I don't and this is the hardest part next to running your power wire to your amp. If I can figure out how to splice these in with proper color to color on radio harness that would help me out allot. This is my first time so it's a learning curve already.

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST1
1,663 Posts
Take a look at these You are going to want to slice into the front L and R wires, as those are full range (the outputs to the rear doors have bass cut on the frequency response curve).

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
Take a look at these You are going to want to slice into the front L and R wires, as those are full range (the outputs to the rear doors have bass cut on the frequency response curve).
I believe these are the front left + - , and front right +-

·
Registered
236 Posts
You are a life save
Not sure - those look like yellow background wires to me - you are looking for white wires with different colored stripes. Note that all 8 wires for front and rear speakers are on the same connector (C237)
They were white just discolored from the adhesive tape that was wrapped around them. I got everything hooked up go to turn on the radio and it went to cut on than shut itself off and now won't cut back on the screen is on and shows my phone is connected but that's it no noise. Also no power to the amp or sub.

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST1
1,663 Posts
You are a life save

They were white just discolored from the adhesive tape that was wrapped around them. I got everything hooked up go to turn on the radio and it went to cut on than shut itself off and now won't cut back on the screen is on and shows my phone is connected but that's it no noise. Also no power to the amp or sub.
Would need to understand your circuit a bit better to be able to help - the front left/right speaker wires from the radio go into the LC2i and then back out of the LC2i to an amplifier and then back to the speakers ?
There are wiring T-harnesses available that make these sort of hookups so much easier.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Would need to understand your circuit a bit better to be able to help - the front left/right speaker wires from the radio go into the LC2i and then back out of the LC2i to an amplifier and then back to the speakers ?
There are wiring T-harnesses available that make these sort of hookups so much easier.
I got just the LOC 2 channel right now to power the sub. I haven't gotten the LC2i yet I should have gotten that one instead. I'm not sure on the hook up on that one but I would assume it's the same set up even so there should still be power to sub and amp. The power cable starts from the battery positive connection is solid than travels about a foot until it hits the fuse that I mounted directly on top of fuse box cover because any other spot was a pain to access. Anyways the power 8gauge wire travels across the engine bay side of fire wall than threw the port hole were all the control wires run threw the fire wall. The wire than comes out right were the fuse box is right under the glove box passenger side runs threw both passenger front to passenger back trim ground panels. Now it's in the trunk directly connected to the 12 volt port on amp. Ground coming off the amp bolted to the frame I even sanded with some 180 grit to create bare contact to frame. Now for the sub wires red and black ported from sub to the amp red went to positive radio black went to negative radio on amp. Hear we go the final excepade the LOC let's begin I strongly believe that I have the front left +- and front +- connected correctly the splicing technique I ended up going with was too twist the cut wires back together on the harness after stripping the wire for bare contact than I used a female to female crimper I would slide my shrink wrap threw wires prior to crimping. The two harness wires were on the one side of connector and the LOC wire was on other side by itself. Than heat shrink wrap till it adheres. Yada yada yada all wires connected to LOC except ground for it was not needed according to the LOC diagram. Ok now that there wires are connected from harness to LOC we have are red port and black port amp wire which routes threw center console passenger side panel taking the same trip my power cable to amp and also going to same device into the audio side marked Input audio there is also an output audio that was left alone. Everything is done and fyi the ground to amp was connected first than power. I look to see if the amp light was on nothing was visibly identifying that it was on no humming no nothing go to turn on radio it hesitated and than cut off the monitor is on and shows that my phone was connected but Bluetooth or FM would not cut on. Keep in mind the switch had not been connected yet but I would not see how that would prevent amp from powering on.

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST1
1,663 Posts
So it was the wiring I was supposed to connect to the back speakers instead of the from 😂
Really - I wonder why, because the back speakers on the ST1 have a bass roll-off as the volume is increased - I don't think that is ideal for sending signal to a sub......

·
Registered
236 Posts
Really - I wonder why, because the back speakers on the ST1 have a bass roll-off as the volume is increased - I don't think that is ideal for sending signal to a sub......
I've figured out the logistics of it. The front two speakers are the control. The back speakers are the constant. The LOC requires a constant a LC2i requires control because it needs it in order to modify the factory settings. An LOC is basically just a hacking mechanism to allow you to run your sub.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts