Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car only came with one key so I need to order two more and have 3 total...

I have found most places are out of stock and one site claims to have OEM for $80 each but not sure of their claims. They seem to have semi decent reviews but besides the local dealer, are there any online dealers or other companies you would work with to get a key?

I will do programming myself using FORScan, if it doesn't work, I'll schedule with the dealer. FORScan claims it can be done...

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,943 Posts
I had CarKeysExpress make my 2nd key, as well as cut the actual physical door key. They come to you, and do all the work out of their trucks.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I almost passed them up because of their price but wasn't aware they offer the cut and the programming. If so, then it would be well worth it.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,943 Posts
I almost passed them up because of their price but wasn't aware they offer the cut and the programming. If so, then it would be well worth it.
Yes it is expensive, i think the license from ford was $75 in itself. But ford emails them the file and they cut the key on-site.

Total price of fob, door key with license, and programming was something like $230.

Reactions: Neo1130

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went to checkout and unfortunately they don't have anyone in my area to do the programming.... SO, that leaves me with at least attempting with FORScan. If not, I will just tow it to the dealer and have them try it. I'm no scared to dig in with programming. Done it a few times with VAGCOM and AlfaOBD (Mopar/Fiat) and have a pretty good understanding how it all works. If not, you'll see a post with me bitching about it. LOL

·
Registered
225 Posts
Most locksmiths can program your fob.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most locksmiths can program your fob.
My problem is that in the 2 locksmiths in a 40 mile range, one doesn't program and the other won't return my e-mails or calls. Sucks living out in the country some times.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yeah, I used to live in the sticks. Maybe just find a locksmith in a place with good food, entertainment, and drinks and make it a "working" vacation.

I only got one key when I bought my ST. Ordered an Amazon fob made in Europe with the proper FCC ID sticker on it and neither a locksmith nor Ford could program it. The locksmith told me my 2018 model was too new (this was summer of 2019) for his programmer. I ended up buying a fob and programming from Ford. $325 for both. It hurt, but I like having a spare key.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So here is what I ended up doing for those that will search this later.

Bought two keys from www.carandtruckremotes.com for $80 each. They are the proper OEM ones by Strattec. Not an aftermarket brand.

Anyways, FORScan CANNOT program keys for the 2014 and newer Focus. Something about how the incode and outcodes are generated. All locksmiths in the area also were not able to program them because of this, even the locksmiths that specialize in uncommon vehicle systems.

So it was off to the dealer. They charged $65 for both keys to be programmed as well as my original. So now I have 3 working keys. Props to Mullinax Ford in Olympia, WA for getting me in on a walk in and not taking advantage of me or claiming I need to buy their keys only.

Now they are functioning, I just need to have a locksmith cut the blanks.

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
336 Posts
Auto Zone and Oreilly sell this types of replacement remotes that you can program yourself.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Auto Zone and Oreilly sell this types of replacement remotes that you can program yourself.
I almost went that route but seen it was hit and miss if it worked or not. I think the ones that didn't work, people possibly were not following directions 100%.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pretty sure you can program a key with forscan. I’ve done a few fords but not my ST.
Yes, it can be done but for certain years and certain models. Starting in 2014 or 2015 the US Focus got a different system that FORScan does not support.

·
Registered
225 Posts
$65 to program your fobs was a steal. I called around and 4 Ford local dealers all charged the same ripoff price.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
$65 to program your fobs was a steal. I called around and 4 Ford local dealers all charged the same ripoff price.
I'm just glad they did it as a walk-in. LOL! I tried calling them and never got an answer and was in the area so thought I'd stop by to ask. Got me in and out. I called other places and they wanted $150 (hr labor rate around here) and they were even farther out from where I live.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts