Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There is a thread, that compares intercoolers, or, at least, someone has a link in the signature that compares intercoolers.

It's not stickied anywhere I can find and I'm tired of trying to search for it, I usually find it, but its a pain in the ass.

Someone, link it, and lets get it stickied once and for all.

Not this thread, but it should be linked there.
http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-performance/6273-st-fmic-thread.html

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that's it, thanks. I was looking at buying a used Panda but I'm going to pass for something larger.

·
Registered
532 Posts
IMO buying decisions based on that spreadsheet are as useless as buying suspension components on dollars per inch of drop...

It focuses entirely on IC volume compared to OEM, which doesn't account at all for how the IC performs in lowering charge temps. Larger cores don't necessarily cool better and can actually hurt throttle response by increasing the amount of throttled air volume.

Not to mention those calculations are based on external IC dimensions and NOT actual core volume, so it's not even comparing apples-apples anyway.

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST3
689 Posts
IMO buying decisions based on that spreadsheet are as useless as buying suspension components on dollars per inch of drop...

It focuses entirely on IC volume compared to OEM, which doesn't account at all for how the IC performs in lowering charge temps. Larger cores don't necessarily cool better and can actually hurt throttle response by increasing the amount of throttled air volume.

Not to mention those calculations are based on external IC dimensions and NOT actual core volume, so it's not even comparing apples-apples anyway.
I used core dimensions where available - not the total size of the unit...

show me a couple comparisons of equal sized intercoolers that have differing coefficients of cooling?

·
Registered
2016 Kona Blue ST3
526 Posts

Even if the data isn't completely reliable, it's nice to have all that info (price, dimensions, links) in one place. IMO it's a helpful resource to get an idea of what you want, though like anything you buy online it's up to you to do the proper research and make an informed decision.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts