Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time for the first oil change and I can't find the jack. There is a lug wrench next to the spare tire, but no jack.

Thx

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Time for the first oil change and I can't find the jack. There is a lug wrench next to the spare tire, but no jack.

Thx
I don't remember looking but it's either in the foam compartments or under the spare tire. Pretty sure it's under the spare tire.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's where it was. I had looked through the wheel and saw the foam and nothing else around it, but didn't notice the jack was inside the foam.

Thanks.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Location of jack is also shown in the Owners Manual.....Wheels & Tires section.

Why are using tire jack to help change oil? You should use jack stands or tire ramps which are much safer than the jack provided with the car. Perhaps you are just using the screw jack in order to insert the jack stands which would be the way to go.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Does anybody read owners manuals these days?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bryman13

·
Registered
221 Posts
FYI the scissor jack is really only for emergency use and shouldn't be used for regular maintenance. You are best off getting a hydraulic jack.

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
Please don't hurt yourself by using the supplied "emergency use only" jack---get a floor jack and jack sands, or set of ramps. Or better yet, all of the above for around $150.00

·
Registered
428 Posts
Considering a set of Rhino Ramps can be had for 40 bucks, it makes no sense to use the scissor jack at all. As much as I hate working on cars (despite the fact that I installed my FMIC), if I had a flat, I probably would just call my free roadside assistance and let them do the work....:RockOn:

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
Considering a set of Rhino Ramps can be had for 40 bucks, it makes no sense to use the scissor jack at all. As much as I hate working on cars (despite the fact that I installed my FMIC), if I had a flat, I probably would just call my free roadside assistance and let them do the work....:RockOn:
I have rhino ramps. Used them a few times but my heart skipped a beat when I drove off the front of one of them doing my last oil change. I think the one on the left slid while the one on the right got stuck on uneven garage floor. Did my 2nd oil change on opposite side of garage as 1st time. My rocker panel bent but actually popped back out when I jacked it up and from side the mark is unnoticeable. I'll be getting a jack and sliding a ramp under each wheel after jacking that side up. I can drive it off the ramps when finished but I'm done driving up them.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
I have rhino ramps. Used them a few times but my heart skipped a beat when I drove off the front of one of them doing my last oil change. I think the one on the left slid while the one on the right got stuck on uneven garage floor. Did my 2nd oil change on opposite side of garage as 1st time. My rocker panel bent but actually popped back out when I jacked it up and from side the mark is unnoticeable. I'll be getting a jack and sliding a ramp under each wheel after jacking that side up. I can drive it off the ramps when finished but I'm done driving up them.
I've always had this fear. I'm extremely careful but you can only watch the drivers side...the passenger's side can have a mind of it's own.

·
Registered
428 Posts
They definitely suck on smooth floors. I am using them on asphalt and have not had any issues. I bought them strictly for installing my intercooler. I live in a townhouse without a garage, so my shop abilities are extremely limited, but 40 bucks and some sweat saved me over $200 dollars.

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
They definitely suck on smooth floors. I am using them on asphalt and have not had any issues. I bought them strictly for installing my intercooler. I live in a townhouse without a garage, so my shop abilities are extremely limited, but 40 bucks and some sweat saved me over $200 dollars.
I felt like the fact they slid helped prevent me from going over the front. I have trouble giving enough throttle to go up the incline and hitting the brakes right when they level off. I'll just pony up for a jack, but wanted to share my embarrassing mishap for the greater good.

This Arcan aluminum 3-ton jack seems to be the best for the money with regards to max height and load rating:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/282125265477

Harbor Freight had a Pittsburgh Auto 2-ton aluminum jack that didn't go as high for $140. Jegs 6-ton steel jack stands are also cheaper on eBay than the Pittsburgh equivalents. But I still love Harbor Freight.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Yeah floor jack and stands or ramps. I did use my car jack to raise the side of the car enough to get my floor jack onto the engine cradle to swap front tires side to side thinking my passenger tire had worn more than my drivers. Misread my damn gauge when I checked tread depth. The jack would not slide enough under the care without help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts