19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering when to go a step colder with the plugs. Currently I have

AP STAGE 1 93 COBB TUNE
RMM
FILTER
TURBOSMART BOV
OEM PLUGS

I have new plugs coming in this week. Do I need them now?

I am waiting on a cpe FMIC and a snorkel, which is why I originally ordered the plugs. The FMIC will be here in 3 weeks

I will stage 2 cobb tune my car when I get the FMIC( yes I know im waiting to pay for a better tune once I get a downpipe)

I know I should change the plugs then, but would it hurt to do it now?

Also, is this the only time I will need to go a step colder on plugs or is there a guide to the type of spark plugs you need for which mods you have/how hard you're pushing the ecoboost?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,502 Posts
Wondering when to go a step colder with the plugs. Currently I have

AP STAGE 1 93 COBB TUNE
RMM
FILTER
TURBOSMART BOV
OEM PLUGS

I have new plugs coming in this week. Do I need them now?

I am waiting on a cpe FMIC and a snorkel, which is why I originally ordered the plugs. The FMIC will be here in 3 weeks

I will stage 2 cobb tune my car when I get the FMIC( yes I know im waiting to pay for a better tune once I get a downpipe)

I know I should change the plugs then, but would it hurt to do it now?

Also, is this the only time I will need to go a step colder on plugs or is there a guide to the type of spark plugs you need for which mods you have/how hard you're pushing the ecoboost?

Thanks!
Ideally, you should be running a step colder with any tune.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
1,313 Posts
you can run 1-step colder plugs on the stock tune and it won't hurt anything. I've been doing that on my Focus (although at stage 3 with WMI now), and also on my Escape for a combined total of like 80K miles on 1-step colder plugs... no issues whatsoever.

I'm running the NGKs in my sig and I gapped them to .026" with a feeler gauge. Don't use those little "coin" type gauges, please... they're not that accurate.

Reactions: MtnMan

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome thanks everyone. Sounds like ill definitely put those plugs in when I get them.

How does that ford performance tune compare to a stratified/panda/etc tune? I realize that's probably a dumb question cause it's all about preference. Im looking to keep this thing a reliable daily that is fun to drive and I just enjoy working on it

Im just getting in to all of this so my car needs some TLC. I've got the original spark plugs in there now and guilty of not taking better care of them!

P.s. I have one of those coin guages....sh*t lol

·
Registered
2016 Oxford White
294 Posts
I have the FRPP. It's OK... I'm going to upgrade to a "proper" tune sometime this year. I bought the car with this tune on it, I don't think I would've bought it myself. It's not bad, the torque increase is noticeable for sure. The throttle response appears unchanged and the rev hang is still there.

With a proper tune the throttle response and rev hang can also be addressed, not to mention a little more power (even keeping things on the safe side).

·
Registered
2016 Oxford White
294 Posts
That being said, if you just want a little more power and want the Ford racing warranty it's not a bad deal all in all...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the FRPP. It's OK... I'm going to upgrade to a "proper" tune sometime this year. I bought the car with this tune on it, I don't think I would've bought it myself. It's not bad, the torque increase is noticeable for sure. The throttle response appears unchanged and the rev hang is still there.

With a proper tune the throttle response and rev hang can also be addressed, not to mention a little more power (even keeping things on the safe side).
Thanks for the info! Thats a game changer for me. The rev hang is such a bummer!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good info. here. I just bought a 2017 ST3 a week ago and have been having a blast with it. It has a Cobb short throw shifter, green filter, symposer delete and a Cobb AP with the stage 1 tune, otherwise stock outside of that. The one thing I have noticed which annoys me is the rev hang on downshifts so good to hear that seems to be normal with the onboard Cobb tune. Like imrichbiotch I am looking to do a FMIC with snorkel and an exhaust then I plan on getting a legit tune but ideally I would love to find a local reputable FoST tuner near Philly to take it to for an actual dyno tune.

·
Administrator
12,280 Posts
Good info. here. I just bought a 2017 ST3 a week ago and have been having a blast with it. It has a Cobb short throw shifter, green filter, symposer delete and a Cobb AP with the stage 1 tune, otherwise stock outside of that. The one thing I have noticed which annoys me is the rev hang on downshifts so good to hear that seems to be normal with the onboard Cobb tune. Like imrichbiotch I am looking to do a FMIC with snorkel and an exhaust then I plan on getting a legit tune but ideally I would love to find a local reputable FoST tuner near Philly to take it to for an actual dyno tune.
R/T tuning
Tuned by Nishan

Theres nothing wrong with remote tuning, and it produces results more realistic to your car actually driving, which has its advantages. Versus being tuned on a dyno, with its perfect environment, something your car almost never drives on, lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
R/T tuning
Tuned by Nishan

Theres nothing wrong with remote tuning, and it produces results more realistic to your car actually driving, which has its advantages. Versus being tuned on a dyno, with its perfect environment, something your car almost never drives on, lol
Thank you for the info., would have never thought about it that way. I am new to whole tuning thing so I plan on doing my research before I do anything. I appreciate your viewpoint on the matter.

·
Super Moderator
1,502 Posts
Thank you for the info., would have never thought about it that way. I am new to whole tuning thing so I plan on doing my research before I do anything. I appreciate your viewpoint on the matter.
Second e-tuning - any big name tuner is good to use - e.g. Stratified, JST, and many others. MonsterTuned also gives the benefit of having a safe and powerful tune that doesn't require revisions to be done, since it uses an OEM-style octane learning method.

Many on this forum run these tunes. Personally love my Stratified 93 + E30 tune - did datalogging with the AP, sent the logs to Strat. - they send a revised tune back. Rinse, repeat until optimized for your setup. Simple as that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The cobb tune definitely cleaned up a lot! Im coming from a GTI and it almost felt like driving an automatic in the ST without a tune.

Im in Philly too! If you find anyone good let me know. My research on the FMIC led me to the cpe. It seems legit. I found a snorkel on ebay for $40. Ill post if its decent. I just can't imagine spending $170 for a piece of plastic

·
Super Moderator
9,816 Posts
The cobb tune definitely cleaned up a lot! Im coming from a GTI and it almost felt like driving an automatic in the ST without a tune.

Im in Philly too! If you find anyone good let me know. My research on the FMIC led me to the cpe. It seems legit. I found a snorkel on ebay for $40. Ill post if its decent. I just can't imagine spending $170 for a piece of plastic
If you don't want to pay $170.00 for a snorkel, then you may want to look at Woosh and/or Depot for your intercooler. CPe is very nice stuff, but also very spendy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts