Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I guess this is a question for people that have already sold their ST or those that have some recommendations in this area. I am going to be returning my car back to stock so I can trade it in for another vehicle. For the ones that had an aftermarket exhaust (I currently have the MBRP installed), what did you do with it? I cut and scrapped my OEM one and I heard that I would either have to drop the subframe to install a new one OR get a used one welded (which I gather is tough because of the tight space/angle). Any recommendations?

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Can't you just leave the exhaust on? Why do you have to go back to stock?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can leave it, but I guess I'm concerned with it having that "aftermarket" sound. Some dealers around here are against that.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
I can leave it, but I guess I'm concerned with it having that "aftermarket" sound. Some dealers around here are against that.
Things like that really seem to be an issue in US apparently.
I'm just wondering because around here, a (legal) aftermarket exhaust usually adds to resale value.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I know your putting a stock dp back on, could you just put a different muffler on the MBRP to tone it down. I'm not familiar with that system but could be easier than sourcing and reinstalling the stock cb.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'm just wondering because around here, a (legal) aftermarket exhaust usually adds to resale value.
So my ST will have a bigger resale value if I add aftermarket parts? Maybe when private selling the car, but a car dealer will not agree with you and will give less then for a similair stock ST

·
Registered
387 Posts
So my ST will have a bigger resale value if I add aftermarket parts? Maybe when private selling the car, but a car dealer will not agree with you and will give less then for a similair stock ST
This is true - dealers dislike anything added to a vehicle that potentially narrows its appeal and most aftermarket parts by definition do that.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
This is true - dealers dislike anything added to a vehicle that potentially narrows its appeal and most aftermarket parts by definition do that.
Okay, with regards to dealers this holds true. But I've never sold any of mine or my girlfriend's cars to dealers because they always made crappy offers. Modded or not. For her 2006 BMW 320i the dealer offered me €9500. Average price in the used market was above 13k for similar spec and mileage. Sold it for €12500. That was 2016 though.
So I rather sell my modded car to someone who appreciates it than selling it to a dealer where the price would be much lower even if I went through the pita to revert it to stock before.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Things like that really seem to be an issue in US apparently.
Well in Germany, you have to used properly approved aftermarket parts for things like the exhaust, right? Here, you can do pretty much whatever you want; that could be the most expensive/professionally installed exhaust or the cheapest, cut up, hacked and held together by tape someone pieced together in a parking lot exhaust. So most consumers are warned against buying modified cars, as you never know what might be wrong with it or how it was installed. So modified = risky, stock = safe. More car savvy people would inspect and confirm parts are good and installed properly.

Most dealers wont really care if they are taking it on a trade in, they just look it over from the outside. I rarely hear of them test driving or putting the car on a lift to inspect. They will offer the lowest price they can and move on.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That’s a good point, which is why I plan on leaving some things on that aren’t detectable unless you pop the hood and look into the internals.

Well, looks like I don’t have much of a choice, but I’ll probably consult a muffler place and see what they say. If anything comes of it, I’ll post her so others can do the same.

·
Registered
275 Posts
May as well just leave the exhaust on. By the time you purchase another stock one and then pay to have the muffler shop reweld it, you've negated any money returned from the sale of your Mbrp. This isn't a limited production Bentley, it's a focus. If not having the stock exhaust demerits the trade-in, then find a less pompous dealer to trade at.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
May as well just leave the exhaust on. By the time you purchase another stock one and then pay to have the muffler shop reweld it, you've negated any money returned from the sale of your Mbrp. This isn't a limited production Bentley, it's a focus. If not having the stock exhaust demerits the trade-in, then find a less pompous dealer to trade at.
Thanks man. I'm starting to lean towards that now.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I bought my 2017 ST (3) new in 2018 at a massive discount, but only after looking at probably close to a hundred used ones (in person and over the internet) since I believe that I'd find a better deal buying a well-kept used car than a new one. (In the end- I couldn't find a nice ST3 with low mileage at a significant discount from a new one, so when I found a deal on a leftover, I paid a small amount more for a new ST3 over an acceptable used ST3). I was looking for a good long-term daily driver, and was not interested in a car with any modifications, since in my mind- that meant that the car may have been used for autocrossing, drag racing etc, which is not necessarily true. I myself just put a new Borla cat-back on my otherwise babied stock car just a few weeks ago, and now I think I'd purchase a used one with a few innocent bolt-on mods to make the car a little more fun. I did not think this way before owning the car, and I think I passed on a few cars that I should have considered.

Just my opinion- but a prospective buyer who knows these cars may not be bothered by some bolt-on upgrades, but someone shopping for their first ST might be.

I have my perfect 7,000 mile stock exhaust posted in the classifieds, but I'm thinking about just keeping it in case I decide to go back to stock for some reason (since it's worth about $100 as it sits). Is there a sleeve to attach the cut pipes, or is that something that has to be welded?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I bought my 2017 ST (3) new in 2018 at a massive discount, but only after looking at probably close to a hundred used ones (in person and over the internet) since I believe that I'd find a better deal buying a well-kept used car than a new one. (In the end- I couldn't find a nice ST3 with low mileage at a significant discount from a new one, so when I found a deal on a leftover, I paid a small amount more for a new ST3 over an acceptable used ST3). I was looking for a good long-term daily driver, and was not interested in a car with any modifications, since in my mind- that meant that the car may have been used for autocrossing, drag racing etc, which is not necessarily true. I myself just put a new Borla cat-back on my otherwise babied stock car just a few weeks ago, and now I think I'd purchase a used one with a few innocent bolt-on mods to make the car a little more fun. I did not think this way before owning the car, and I think I passed on a few cars that I should have considered.

Just my opinion- but a prospective buyer who knows these cars may not be bothered by some bolt-on upgrades, but someone shopping for their first ST might be.

I have my perfect 7,000 mile stock exhaust posted in the classifieds, but I'm thinking about just keeping it in case I decide to go back to stock for some reason (since it's worth about $100 as it sits). Is there a sleeve to attach the cut pipes, or is that something that has to be welded?
I don’t think there is but I would also be curious to know as well.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Is there a sleeve to attach the cut pipes, or is that something that has to be welded?
Weld is best of course but yes, you can get a butt joint/clamp; designed for attaching two pipes of the same OD. Just need to figure out the diameter needed, this also assume you cut the old exhaust off at a straight section, else welding is needed

·
Registered
903 Posts
Steel wool or chore boy in pipe will tame the sound. Dealer wants to test drive mine. Need to do a clutch install before that...lol...!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts