Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully this doesn't come across as a dumb question... I've been running Bilstein B8's with Eibach springs for a few years now. Stock wheels and tires, except when swapping to winter setup which is -1.

I recently picked up a fresh set of summer rubber. Got myself some Pilot SS's. Very excited. I went to look at my old OEM Goodyear F1's and noticed the inside of the tire has a gouge in it that appears to be from the wheel well. I'm wondering if this is a fluke from a pothole or if there is a real issue here because of the lowered nature of the car? Would some 15 or 20mm spacers have any impact? I can update with pics tonight. Stuck at work right now.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Hopefully this doesn't come across as a dumb question... I've been running Bilstein B8's with Eibach springs for a few years now. Stock wheels and tires, except when swapping to winter setup which is -1.

I recently picked up a fresh set of summer rubber. Got myself some Pilot SS's. Very excited. I went to look at my old OEM Goodyear F1's and noticed the inside of the tire has a gouge in it that appears to be from the wheel well. I'm wondering if this is a fluke from a pothole or if there is a real issue here because of the lowered nature of the car? Would some 15 or 20mm spacers have any impact? I can update with pics tonight. Stuck at work right now.

Thanks in advance.
Please don't buy spacers, if indeed the tires are rubbing due to being lowered. Spacers are never the right answer, just save your money and buy the right set of wheels with the right offset.

Reactions: Judas

·
Registered
357 Posts
Unless the op is planning on changing wheels, which it doesn't sound like since he replaced the tires spacers won't hurt a thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: the_moondragon

·
Registered
217 Posts
Unless the op is planning on changing wheels, which it doesn't sound like since he replaced the tires spacers won't hurt a thing.

If you can shell out for those tires, you can shell out for proper wheels.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you can shell out for those tires, you can shell out for proper wheels.

Not really man. I have a 4 year old car with 111k miles. I'm replacing the original summer tires for the first time. Spending 180/tire is not out of the budget. But spending an additional 200+ per wheel is. I just had a baby. Money is tight. My options are run stock wheel as is and hope I don't run into problems with the inside fendor or get some small spacers as a means of preserving the tire. Either way I'm try to keep my additional money spend down. Telling me to spend another thousand dollars isn't really justified.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Not really man. I have a 4 year old car with 111k miles. I'm replacing the original summer tires for the first time. Spending 180/tire is not out of the budget. But spending an additional 200+ per wheel is. I just had a baby. Money is tight. My options are run stock wheel as is and hope I don't run into problems with the inside fendor or get some small spacers as a means of preserving the tire. Either way I'm try to keep my additional money spend down. Telling me to spend another thousand dollars isn't really justified.
With that information, we have a different story.

If you aren't tracking the car (with MIcheline PSS I assumed you were, classic mistake), then you're not necessarily going to suffer from choosing to run 10-15mm spacers.

However, the reason that we say no to spacers at first glance is to prevent that one person who reads "yep, spacers are no problem", then goes out and buys 45mm spacers for an already deep offset wheel without considering the consequences, because they want the "stanced" look.

Spacers will serve their purpose for you, if the car is a DD that isn't being raced. In general, it may be safest to consider spacers as an aesthetic modification, rather than a functional modification. The distinction is important. If at all for functional purposes, it should be considered in a temporary capacity (until one saves for properly offset wheels).

Enjoy that new rubber!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With that information, we have a different story.

If you aren't tracking the car (with MIcheline PSS I assumed you were, classic mistake), then you're not necessarily going to suffer from choosing to run 10-15mm spacers.

However, the reason that we say no to spacers at first glance is to prevent that one person who reads "yep, spacers are no problem", then goes out and buys 45mm spacers for an already deep offset wheel without considering the consequences, because they want the "stanced" look.

Spacers will serve their purpose for you, if the car is a DD that isn't being raced. In general, it may be safest to consider spacers as an aesthetic modification, rather than a functional modification. The distinction is important. If at all for functional purposes, it should be considered in a temporary capacity (until one saves for properly offset wheels).

Enjoy that new rubber!

Thank you, this answer significantly helps me in my decision making process. I read conflicting reports all over different forums. Some BMW and Porsche guys talk about spacers coming with certain wheels packages standard and being no problem at the track. Other people say they destroy the wheel bearings and other pieces involved. I thought some fellas with Focus experience would have better suited answers for me (which you did!).

I'm looking at 15mm to see if that clears the fender. Need to run some measurements tonight and make a decision. I am not interested in #stancenation garbage. Simply want to get my wheels fitting proper and tires to last as long as possible. CJ Ponyparts and Garageline have hubcentric kits that look well made and will provide what I need.

I'd like to track this car, but I just stick to back roads in my area for fun times. Usually do 1 auto cross event every summer. 90% of my miles are highway (long trip to work).

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thank you, this answer significantly helps me in my decision making process. I read conflicting reports all over different forums. Some BMW and Porsche guys talk about spacers coming with certain wheels packages standard and being no problem at the track. Other people say they destroy the wheel bearings and other pieces involved. I thought some fellas with Focus experience would have better suited answers for me (which you did!).

I'm looking at 15mm to see if that clears the fender. Need to run some measurements tonight and make a decision. I am not interested in #stancenation garbage. Simply want to get my wheels fitting proper and tires to last as long as possible. CJ Ponyparts and Garageline have hubcentric kits that look well made and will provide what I need.

I'd like to track this car, but I just stick to back roads in my area for fun times. Usually do 1 auto cross event every summer. 90% of my miles are highway (long trip to work).
Some folks confuse wheel spacers and hub spacer rings. Wheel spacers overlay the hub, and have their own studs, creating space between the wheel and the hub, pushing the tires away from the centerline of the vehicle.

Hub spacer rings are likely what the Porsche/BMW guys are talking about when they say that they come with the wheels. I have these rings. They came with my TSW Nurburgring wheels. These rings are small hardened plastic rings that fill the gap between the hub OD and the hub-bore ID in the wheel, if the two aren't a perfect fit. The ring size is selected based on your specific make and model of car. They should be replaced every few seasons, because they do warp/deform.

·
Registered
2016 Kona Blue ST3
526 Posts
If you're already rubbing with stock offset, spacers are only going to make it worse. Proper wheels with a wider offset are still going to rub too. Literally anything that pushes your wheel out towards the edges of the fender is going to make your rubbing worse, because you're going to be hitting that fender edge a lot more frequently.

·
Registered
217 Posts
If you're already rubbing with stock offset, spacers are only going to make it worse. Proper wheels with a wider offset are still going to rub too. Literally anything that pushes your wheel out towards the edges of the fender is going to make your rubbing worse, because you're going to be hitting that fender edge a lot more frequently.
He could be talking about the inside rim of the tire rubbing against the coilover.

·
Registered
2016 Kona Blue ST3
526 Posts
He could be talking about the inside rim of the tire rubbing against the coilover.

Ah, I didn't think of that. I have 20mm spacers at the moment so I didn't have to worry about that, but it is a pretty tight clearance with the stock offset.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Inside is correct. Outside is fine. Pics as promised

Very worn tires. Probably 60k miles on these or so.

Outside looks okay

Inside is much more worn, but that seems more alignment related than rubbing

Then the cuts I was talking about. Not all around the tire just a few spots. Which is where my pothole theory comes from

I measured the cut mark from the inside lip of the tire. It looks like about half an inch. A 15mm spacer will clear this (half inch = around 12mm).

I just need to check if that pushes me too far to the outside fender. I don't think it will, but once the wheels and tires are on the car I'll double check.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Inside is correct. Outside is fine. Pics as promised

Very worn tires. Probably 60k miles on these or so.

Outside looks okay

Inside is much more worn, but that seems more alignment related than rubbing

Then the cuts I was talking about. Not all around the tire just a few spots. Which is where my pothole theory comes from

I measured the cut mark from the inside lip of the tire. It looks like about half an inch. A 15mm spacer will clear this (half inch = around 12mm).

I just need to check if that pushes me too far to the outside fender. I don't think it will, but once the wheels and tires are on the car I'll double check.
DAMN ahaha.

Lucky they didn't split on you.

Also, about the wheel spacers vs hub spacer rings. Here are a few pics that hopefully clear up my awful explaination.

Auto part Disc brake Wheel Rim Vehicle brake Alloy wheel Tire Rim Wheel Automotive tire Red Fuel line Circle

They're due to be replaced.

·
Registered
2016 Kona Blue ST3
526 Posts
15mm should be fine for outer clearance. My 20mm spacers put me about flush without poking past the fender edges (stock wheels and stock tires).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Even if those tires didn't have those cuts they are toast. The added camber could possibly make the inner top of the tire rub on the strut.
Yup definitely. I babied the **** out of the car the last month they were on. I was very happy to get my fresh winters on when I did.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
15mm should be fine for outer clearance. My 20mm spacers put me about flush without poking past the fender edges (stock wheels and stock tires).
Awesome good to hear. What make spacers did you go with? I'm in between garageline and the ones cj ponyparts offer (forget the exact make).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts