Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have never put aftermarket wheels on any of my cars so I am a bit lost.

1. I recently put some new Falken tires on my stock snow flakes and I am hoping I can find wheels that will fit those tires. They are the 245/40zr18 's. Is this possible?
2. What are some reasonably priced wheels I should look at? I want them to be black and I guess I am looking for brands and some models that may peak my interest.
3. Any black Friday deals I should look at?
4. Will the TPMS sensors transfer to the new wheels fine?
5. Forged vs Cast vs? This is a daily driver and will never be tracked.
6. Any cheap brands I should stay away from?

Thank you so much in advance!

·
Registered
651 Posts
Hey Man,

I can answer a few of these.

Hey guys. I have never put aftermarket wheels on any of my cars so I am a bit lost.

1. I recently put some new Falken tires on my stock snow flakes and I am hoping I can find wheels that will fit those tires. They are the 245/40zr18 's. Is this possible? YES, absolutely. You should have no problem slapping those on 18x8 (or 8.5 possibly) wheel. I don't see you have the car lowered so don't have to worry about that
2. What are some reasonably priced wheels I should look at? I want them to be black and I guess I am looking for brands and some models that may peak my interest. XXR (yeah, I said it), Axis, Motego Racing, TRMotorsports just to name a few
3. Any black Friday deals I should look at?
4. Will the TPMS sensors transfer to the new wheels fine? They should as long as they're not damaged when the old ones are removed.
5. Forged vs Cast vs? This is a daily driver and will never be tracked. Because you don't track the car, don't worry about forged. Actually, you can get any wheel that will fit your car. I'd stay between 42-45mm offset as well. If you're not sure what that's all about, do a bit of research as it's fairly important
6. Any cheap brands I should stay away from?

Thank you so much in advance!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Honestly wheels are like exhaust's, you're going to get lots of opinions but your's is the only one that matters.

Here is the 18" version of the wheel I am going with on my RS: HY ? Hybris Gloss Black | Advanti Racing

I'm going with the 19" 45 offset forged DST HY version on my RS as I like how they look and I will be saving 9 lbs. per corner, that's 36 lbs. of rotating mass eliminated.

Here is a picture of them on an RS:

View attachment 810_4841.jpg

Reactions: Blackula

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Here is a basic search from tire rack for black 18's:
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/res...autoModel=Focus+ST&autoYear=2015&autoModClar=

What style do you like? We could suggest some similar ones that may not be sold at TireRack as well but this will give you a good idea of what is out there. Lighter than stock is always a plus (stock is 26lbs.) Your tires and sensors should swap over as well. 245's would also fit on 8.5" wheels as well, just not as many options there.

·
Premium Member
3,731 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
3,731 Posts
I think I was more looking for what would fit my current tires. Would 18x18.5 fit? Should I go with 18x18 or 18x19? Will I need/should I get new lugs? I would prefer for them to be lighter, black in color, and something along the lines of this:
https://www.cjponyparts.com/tsw-bat...PtiL7vfNPAa_UJoDlcpAfhFMSzG9mXjhoCUD4QAvD_BwE

But preferably not that expensive.
So the wheel you have selected is a rotary forged wheel which is very light and expensive. If you go with a cast wheel they will still be lighter than OE but not a super light wheel like a rotary forged wheel. You will need new lugs as a lot of aftermarket wheels don't have large enough lug holes for the OE lugs. I suggest Gorilla Automotive Spline Drive lugs (it's what I run). I also have TSW wheels but in a cast wheel. You will be fine with an 18x8 (OE size) or a 18X8.5. Either will do fine with the tires you have on the car now. Next would be the offset of the wheels, OE is +55mm which is extremely positive. I would recommend a +40mm to +45mm for the right offset. The close you get to 0mm the more it will stick out. If you have any other questions PM me. I have been in the tire and wheel industry for 14+ years.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So the wheel you have selected is a rotary forged wheel which is very light and expensive. If you go with a cast wheel they will still be lighter than OE but not a super light wheel like a rotary forged wheel. You will need new lugs as a lot of aftermarket wheels don't have large enough lug holes for the OE lugs. I suggest Gorilla Automotive Spline Drive lugs (it's what I run). I also have TSW wheels but in a cast wheel. You will be fine with an 18x8 (OE size) or a 18X8.5. Either will do fine with the tires you have on the car now. Next would be the offset of the wheels, OE is +55mm which is extremely positive. I would recommend a +40mm to +45mm for the right offset. The close you get to 0mm the more it will stick out. If you have any other questions PM me. I have been in the tire and wheel industry for 14+ years.
I really appreciate your help! Thanks for the info on the offset. I don't want to go the forged route do to cost, so cast will be fine. As long as the wheels are lighter (even 1 pound each) I will be happy with less rotational mass. I will go with the gorilla lugs as they seem to be a popular choice. I just don't want whatever wheels I get to flake or have issues.

·
Premium Member
3,731 Posts
I really appreciate your help! Thanks for the info on the offset. I don't want to go the forged route do to cost, so cast will be fine. As long as the wheels are lighter (even 1 pound each) I will be happy with less rotational mass. I will go with the gorilla lugs as they seem to be a popular choice. I just don't want whatever wheels I get to flake or have issues.
No problem, what type of price range are you looking to stay around. Also do you want gloss black or a matte black.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No problem, what type of price range are you looking to stay around. Also do you want gloss black or a matte black.
Gloss Black I think would look better. Price range...$150 per wheel I suppose? I am not sure what a decent cast wheel price is that is not super entry level bottom of the barrel, but not premium either.

·
Premium Member
3,731 Posts
Gloss Black I think would look better. Price range...$150 per wheel I suppose? I am not sure what a decent cast wheel price is that is not super entry level bottom of the barrel, but not premium either.
So look at Velox, Konig, Enkei, Drag, XXR (more aggressive fitments), MSR, and Motegi (few bucks more). Take a look at those manufacturers, they will have a lot of cast wheels that will be close to the price range you want. Let me know if you have any fitment questions about any of the specific models.

Reactions: HBGeek

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Honestly wheels are like exhaust's, you're going to get lots of opinions but your's is the only one that matters.

Here is the 18" version of the wheel I am going with on my RS: HY ? Hybris Gloss Black | Advanti Racing

I'm going with the 19" 45 offset forged DST HY version on my RS as I like how they look and I will be saving 9 lbs. per corner, that's 36 lbs. of rotating mass eliminated.

Here is a picture of them on an RS:

View attachment 293714
I have been looking at those vs the Konig Interform, but new wheels are still quite a ways off for me. Down to know how you like em if you feel like posting on the ST forum or Pm’ing me after you install/run them for awhile.

·
Registered
222 Posts
@Blackula I'm still a few months out but I'll post here or PM you with my results, I'm really interested in feeling the difference going from ~28 lbs/wheel to ~19 lbs/wheel.

Several guys on the RS forum made the jump to these wheels and they all seem to love them.

Reactions: Blackula
1 - 15 of 15 Posts