Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant seem to put together on what I'm feeling is wheel hop or something worse, I'd figure id see what other people think of the situation. I thank you in advance.

After installing my Boomba RMM wheel hop was almost compliantly eliminated, I was very happy with this. After putting about 2,000 miles on the motor mount I noticed whenever I got on it at highway speeds (Anything above 20 PSI) the car would start to "hop" accompanied by a banging noise. There was no cut in power, but if I keep accelerating it just keeps with the banging noise trying to power through it. Which leads me to believe its wheel hop. I just have a hard time believing that the wheels would "hop" while I'm going 80, under increasing acceleration. I do live in the North East and temperatures have dropped, but after an hour of driving I would assume that my tires are warm enough to not slip that bad. Thinking that it was TC messing with it, I turned that off. Still the same result. I tried to turn on COBB's TC, when observing the TC Tire slip timing multiplayer it stays at -3.0 and doesn't go above 0.0 leading me to believe that the car isn't detecting any wheel "hop" what so ever. I've checked the torque on the RMM, and after looking at the other mounts i saw no visible cracking or wear. I couldn't find any specific thread that matched the problem i was experiencing so id figure id make one. Any help or incite would be greatly imprecated!

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
I cant seem to put together on what I'm feeling is wheel hop or something worse, I'd figure id see what other people think of the situation. I thank you in advance.

After installing my Boomba RMM wheel hop was almost compliantly eliminated, I was very happy with this. After putting about 2,000 miles on the motor mount I noticed whenever I got on it at highway speeds (Anything above 20 PSI) the car would start to "hop" accompanied by a banging noise. There was no cut in power, but if I keep accelerating it just keeps with the banging noise trying to power through it. Which leads me to believe its wheel hop. I just have a hard time believing that the wheels would "hop" while I'm going 80, under increasing acceleration. I do live in the North East and temperatures have dropped, but after an hour of driving I would assume that my tires are warm enough to not slip that bad. Thinking that it was TC messing with it, I turned that off. Still the same result. I tried to turn on COBB's TC, when observing the TC Tire slip timing multiplayer it stays at -3.0 and doesn't go above 0.0 leading me to believe that the car isn't detecting any wheel "hop" what so ever. I've checked the torque on the RMM, and after looking at the other mounts i saw no visible cracking or wear. I couldn't find any specific thread that matched the problem i was experiencing so id figure id make one. Any help or incite would be greatly imprecated!
I had an issue with the car stuttering, I thought RMM, tire slippage, or bad gas. Ended up checking the plugs and the gap was way the hell off, the ST likes to eat plugs. There is no way you'd be getting tire slip at 80+mph.

Reactions: Fixter and brian60

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I had an issue with the car stuttering, I thought RMM, tire slippage, or bad gas. Ended up checking the plugs and the gap was way the hell off, the ST likes to eat plugs. There is no way you'd be getting tire slip at 80+mph.
Solid first thing to check for sure ^

You DEFINITELY aren't feeling anything traction related at 80mph. Throw in some octane booster to eliminate gas from the equation and if it persists then check plugs. I would check the plugs anyway though because the car is hard on them as it is

Reactions: Fixter

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Didn't even think of that! I had just replaced the plugs about 1,000 miles ago, the old ones were really burnt up. Do you happen to know what the spec on the gap should be? Or should i just drive to ford and get OEM spec plugs from them? Thank you all for the replys!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Didn't even think of that! I had just replaced the plugs about 1,000 miles ago, the old ones were really burnt up. Do you happen to know what the spec on the gap should be? Or should i just drive to ford and get OEM spec plugs from them? Thank you all for the replys!
.025-.026 per Stratified tuning :)

Blog : Spark Plug Tech : Stratified Automotive Controls

However Cobb tunes might be suggested something else. Keep it under .030 though for sure probably.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE!!: Pulled the plugs and sure enough the gap was WAY OFF. It was at .045 :popped out:. After bringing them down to .026 and re installing them all I can say is wow. I can't believe it was something so simple, the car pulls all the way up to 22.8 PSI with no hesitating or shuddering! I cant thank all of you guys enough for the quick and spot on replys! If your ever in Connecticut send me a PM, lunch is on me :cool2:

Reactions: brian60 and elyk864

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
UPDATE!!: Pulled the plugs and sure enough the gap was WAY OFF. It was at .045 :popped out:. After bringing them down to .026 and re installing them all I can say is wow. I can't believe it was something so simple, the car pulls all the way up to 22.8 PSI with no hesitating or shuddering! I cant thank all of you guys enough for the quick and spot on replys! If your ever in Connecticut send me a PM, lunch is on me :cool2:
I won't ever be in Connecticut, but I appreciate the thought :cool: glad it got figured out man.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts