Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm starting to plan out some summer canyon carving when some of our twisties open up after winter and I get new summer tires back on. I got to thinking, what's everyone's favorite drive?

Here's the one I'm most excited about. It's from Cougar WA to Randle WA (when it re-opens this summer):

https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!data=!4m40!3m31!1m5!1sCougar,+WA+98603!2s0x549428b8fb1f3ec1:0xa0630119df1cb4ec!3m2!3d46.0514993!4d-122.2995413!1m5!1sRandle,+WA!2s0x5496cf96b4d79c09:0x136cc84c3d640fe4!3m2!3d46.535335!4d-121.9572497!2e0!3m8!1m3!1d3876!2d-122.3005445!3d46.0522611!3m2!1i1920!2i1075!4f13.1!8m2!1e1!2b1!9m5!2m2!3d46.2783191!4d-121.9656938!3s0x54969465f6c5643f:0x90a316ae34945e3!4f1!5m2!13m1!1e1!7m4!11m3!1m1!1e1!2b1!6m1!1e1&fid=0i1

Funny fact: Some schmuck from Google had to drive the whole thing so It's all up on street view LOL.

So FocusST.org, what's the best/your favorite drive in your neck of the woods?

·
Registered
582 Posts
In my area there is no elevation change greater than 12 feet, nor anything but roads laid out with a straight edge. It is warm, the beach is beautiful, but the driving is the suck.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I wouldn't call them canyons, but the Blue Ridge Mountains and their side roads in Virginia/North Carolina are pretty good. Definitely appreciate all the parts of the ST up there. First car I've had that didn't run out of power, grip or brakes before I ran out of nerve. Only vehicle that played with me and won so far was a motorcycle and he was flying! I go up there 2-3 times a year. But I'm glad I've got Recaro seats.

Edit - Not enough coffee when I posted, how could I forget the Dragon, that's on this year's list of things to do. (Suprman posted before I could edit my post.) I could mail-order the Dragon Slayer license plate frame, but I want to earn it by driving up and buying it in person.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
In my area there is no elevation change greater than 12 feet, nor anything but roads laid out with a straight edge. It is warm, the beach is beautiful, but the driving is the suck.
My problem exactly. I hate driving. Around here, just ****ty road and nowhere fun to push it.

My hometown of Butte, Montana is a different story... Well maybe not butte, but there are several good canyons nearby. All the way from butte to Helena is pretty sweet hairpin carving action, with hundreds of feet of drop off...granted 70% of the time it is snow and ice

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Same here. While not in my area so to speak the N Ga mountains around Suches were fun last October.

tappin

·
Registered
272 Posts
Mine isn't a canyon road, but this is my favorite place to push the car (and my ducati). It's by an abandoned steel mill so there's never anyone out there. It's like my own little race circuit. There's 9 turns; lefts, rights, increasing and decreasing radius. Basically everything you could want. Rikdikulous fun!

Screenshot_2013-09-04-21-44-09.png

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine isn't a canyon road, but this is my favorite place to push the car (and my ducati). It's by an abandoned steel mill so there's never anyone out there. It's like my own little race circuit. There's 9 turns; lefts, rights, increasing and decreasing radius. Basically everything you could want. Rikdikulous fun!

View attachment 31215
That's awesome. Does it get much traffic from anyone else doing the same thing?

That's a good one.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Love the twisting road next 140 miles sign! I can see bringing a few of my toys out to that one. :)

Here's the one I'm most excited about. It's from Cougar WA to Randle WA (when it re-opens this summer):
Funny thing is that I used to live in Seattle and took some pretty good drives out on roads that I might never remember. I think Hwy 2 was among them. Now that I do a lot of writing for fun, GoogleMaps comes into play quite a bit. A lot of the nice windy runs start just north of Seattle and head east, some of them have just enough towns to keep you from running out of gas as they follow the cliffs, ridges and valleys. If I ever publish the book and it makes anything I will be heading back out for a few weeks just to explore them. (Side note, one of those is pretty well described while using a Murcielago Roadster... From the surges of torque, the clawing for traction, the dodging of the odd deer, the reactions in the small towns, it's all in there. As long as it's fiction, it might as well be fun fiction)

Tail of the dragon, or north GA mountain roads like GA-19
(sigh) Tail of the Dragon is a store (Ron & Nancy's) The Dragon or Deal's Gap is the road. Minor pet peeve as it's in my back yard about 25 minutes away. <grin>

In that respect I am probably one of the lucky ones. You can put a thumbtack on a map of my house, get a piece of string that resembles 100 miles and make a circle around it. Within that circle are probably 400-500 roads, many of them 30+ miles, that would trump most of what the rest of the world has to offer save for coastal roads (no ocean views) and places like Stelvio Pass. The good thing? Short of the tourist traps (like Deal's Gap) they are almost untouched, rarely patrolled, and have so many different things to offer. Want to try almost everything from small towns to "There are people on this planet?" I've got it in a single 250 mile loop. Everything from 1st gear hairpin switchback combinations that drop into a valley, skip across old trussed bridges with their crystal clear streams, climb back out through sweepers and decreasing turns that will lift the inside rear wheel, etc. From there you open up into some long fast sweepers past farmland and derelict manufacturing complexes 50+ years old (excellent photo ops) and find the odd open valley with it's long straights. Some of those straights you can see from the crest of one end to the peak at the far and are around a mile long with plenty of shoulder, almost no camber and smooth pavement. The last run on the Ducati saw many 150+ sprints across them knowing there was no oncoming traffic or even a driveway to fret about. You can see clearly anything that might be out there so it's as safe as you can possibly get short of a blown tire. Hard on the brakes as you crest the hills, feel the tail tickle around a bit behind you as you set it up for the next group of sweepers as another valley looms and debate whether to take a break in the numerous little overlooks...

...and that's just one of about 30+ loops I can think of that start within half an hour of me. East TN, it's an awesome place to be!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Favorite coastal canyon in Malibu "Latigo Canyon" (Technical)

image (2).png

Favorite mountain canyon Los Angeles "Angeles Crest" (Technical)

image (3).png

Favorite fast sweeper road San Diego "Sunrise Highway" (Fast sweepers)

image.png

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dragon rider 1. Live in sevierville. Have 2 st. Should get together some time and ride these roads. Always up to learn a few I dont.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I live in SoCal and this canyon isn't too far from my house. This is the Ortega Hwy.
download.png

There's also this canyon run called GMR that I really want to take my ST through. Just haven't done it yet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts