Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had my 2971 installed now for several months and decided to pull it and put it on my bench to properly set the pre load to the waste gate. In the process, i discover that the vacuum hose that attaches to the tap fitting on the silicon elbow from the compressor side to the hot side charge pipe has been damaged from rubbing against the shaft drive shaft below.
Thing is, im not sure when it was damaged throughout the tuning process. in fact, my tuner never even brought it up.
Can anyone tell me what symptoms i should have experienced? Thanks in advance!
See image below IMG_0158.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
well it's definitely been a big vacuum/boost leak.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i just want to clarify the hose that is damaged in my photo from OP, so adding an image for reference.
Also note that boost levels during tuning appeared normal. ~25psi
see image (i borrowed from stratified post) for reference hose damaged
stratified bov route.jpg

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
i just want to clarify the hose that is damaged in my photo from OP, so adding an image for reference.
Also note that boost levels during tuning appeared normal. ~25psi
see image (i borrowed from stratified post) for reference hose damaged
View attachment 285714
Thats the boost reference for the solenoid. It will make it hard to control boost. It was on spring pressure only

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats the boost reference for the solenoid. It will make it hard to control boost. It was on spring pressure only
interesting. it has since been corrected and the car is screaming with boost. but interesting that i didnt have too much of a concerning symptom. hmm

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What was your wastegate preload pressure when you checked it?
well, im not technically sure. i bought the turbo used with little miles on it. i installed and all was well. upon completion with the tune, my tuner mentioned i could get a little more boost up top if i tighten the wastegate actuator ~1/4". so, i was bored and went ahead and did it. however, i didnt remove the turbo. i loosened it and with the very little room i had, tightened the hardware.
looking back, i should have just pulled it completely and done it correctly the first time (im learning the hard way).
so this time, when i had it on the bench i followed the 3 full turns of pre load + 1 full turn for good measure. then tested i could open and close at 16psi.
please tell me this is ok... haha

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
well, im not technically sure. i bought the turbo used with little miles on it. i installed and all was well. upon completion with the tune, my tuner mentioned i could get a little more boost up top if i tighten the wastegate actuator ~1/4". so, i was bored and went ahead and did it. however, i didnt remove the turbo. i loosened it and with the very little room i had, tightened the hardware.
looking back, i should have just pulled it completely and done it correctly the first time (im learning the hard way).
so this time, when i had it on the bench i followed the 3 full turns of pre load + 1 full turn for good measure. then tested i could open and close at 16psi.
Yes 16 psi is great actually. I just cant figure out how the tuner was able to control boost with that line damaged like that. You should see a world of difference now with preload and line repaired

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes 16 psi is great actually. I just cant figure out how the tuner was able to control boost with that line damaged like that. You should see a world of difference now with preload and line repaired
Yes sir! I?m a happy camper now! Thanks for the verification!

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I wouldn't bet on that. Vacuum leaks on this car lead to pretty serious brake issues as the brake booster is vacuum assisted.
In most cars yes, but on our cars there is a vacuum pump just in front of the HPFP specifically for energizing the brake booster. The OP's damaged hose was not the hose between the vacuum pump and the brake booster.

Hope that helps,
Mark

Reactions: Kindica09

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How are you liking the 2971? I hope I run into you so you can give me the beans!
well as of this week, loving it! and its coupled with a 2port aux fuel.
night and day difference with the hose repaired and my wastegate set properly.
and actually, im on 620 a lot lately. my new route home!

·
Registered
277 Posts
well as of this week, loving it! and its coupled with a 2port aux fuel.
night and day difference with the hose repaired and my wastegate set properly.
and actually, im on 620 a lot lately. my new route home!
Lol I've since moved to Cedar Park so not on 620 like I used to be, and besides it was 620 on the west side out by the lake. I'm guessing you're more on the stretch near RR :crazy:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts