Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I was driving a little fast on the Blue Ridge Parkway and enjoying the road and the view. When I got off the parkway I got onto very steep section of road. I was driving somewhat fast but I wasn't pushing the car to its limits. I was attempting to engine brake but as everyone knows the Focus ST doesn't have much engine braking capability. About halfway down the road it started to feel like my brake pedal was getting harder and then I realized my brakes were starting to overheat. I quickly pulled over trying not to fall off the side of a mountain, I proceeded to get out of my car and look at my front wheels as smoke raise up out of them I let my brakes cool off for about 5 minutes and gingerly drove down the rest of the road. I drive a 2014 Focus ST I was wondering what would be the best kind of brake setup for me. I don't really drive my car that hard that often. I don't know what upgrades to do because I'm somewhat new to the ST community. Will a simple brake pad upgrade fix my issue or do I need something like a whole brake kit?

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Can’t say I have had the same issue, and I have hammered this car on some fun roads...

-highway 78 in Socal for instance,
-Highway 4/89 in Norcal,
-and the most fun highway 20 in Washington state

...maybe it’s just time for a good brake pad/rotor combo for you?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'd start with freshly bled brake fluid and go from there. The SC/NC roads that zigzag from SC-11 to the Blue Ridge Parkway are my playground and I've never had any brake issues up there (hwys 178-215, 130-107, 28, 276 etc). From there better pads/rotors, the bigger rotors if you have the early small ones and maybe one of the brake cooling air deflectors. RS brembos are pretty cheap if that's still not enough, but I think a good refresh of pads and rotors would be a good start.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
I was whipping mine around on the BRPW for a good few hours day before yesterday. No brake issues for me. Mine has newer front pads than rears but I've never had them get super hot like that.

You could cut some of the plastic underneath but you sacrifice your aero for probably minor benefits.
You could also remove your brake dust shields if you don't drive in the weather too much.

·
Premium Member
2014 Focus ST ST3.
443 Posts
Could do brake duct cooling kit...

Example..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was whipping mine around on the BRPW for a good few hours day before yesterday. No brake issues for me. Mine has newer front pads than rears but I've never had them get super hot like that.

You could cut some of the plastic underneath but you sacrifice your aero for probably minor benefits.
You could also remove your brake dust shields if you don't drive in the weather too much.
Okay I found out what road it was. Its apart of NC-80 called Buck Creek Rd it's much steeper and tighter than the Blue Ridge Parkway. If I were to cut the plastic would it still be effective around 0 mph to 45? Or does cutting the plastic only work well at higher speeds?

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
I don't know for a fact that that cutting the plastic would work, but I'd imagine that more air would swirl around under the wheel wells and cool the inside of the wheels and rotors at any speed. More so at highway speeds

·
Premium Member
2014 Focus ST ST3.
443 Posts
Cooling duct kit...

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
RS Brembos Front
Frankenbrake rear
Castrol SRF fluid
Slotted rotors
Better Pads

·
Registered
838 Posts
1) If you generate wheelspin via the throttle, then you're unnecessarily heating up the brakes via the e-differential. Adjust application of your right foot accordingly.
2) The stock front pads are too soft. Install at least upgraded street pads. If the rotors are grooved (usually because the soft pads glazed the rotors), replace them.
3) Definitely flush and bleed the brakes & clutch (same reservoir).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts