Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happens at about the 6 and 14 second mark. Dealer said it was just the sound of the AC compressor starting, but they seemed to be rushing and might not have replicated it. Only happens when the car sits over night and on a cold start.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I agree sounds like the clutch on your AC compressor. To confirm that you can take your engine cover off and watch the pulley on your AC compressor. You should see a plate that isn't spinning on the outside of the pulley and the click your hearing should be that plate engaging against the pulley to spin the compressor. Does seem louder than mine but unfortunately the only way to fix it is a new compressor.

·
Registered
185 Posts
That is a fairly normal noise. The oil in the ac system settles overnight in the compressor, when you fire the car up it has to force the oil out back into the system. The only thing I would be concerned about is if somehow there is too much refrigerant oil in the system.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is a fairly normal noise. The oil in the ac system settles overnight in the compressor, when you fire the car up it has to force the oil out back into the system. The only thing I would be concerned about is if somehow there is too much refrigerant oil in the system.
I'll be taking it to the dealer in the coming week or so. I've had a few people with differing opinions on it. Its loud enough where my neighbor even mentioned it when he was watering his bushes.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'll be taking it to the dealer in the coming week or so. I've had a few people with differing opinions on it. Its loud enough where my neighbor even mentioned it when he was watering his bushes.
I would definitely get them to verify that there is the correct amount of pag oil in the system. Sounds like it could be overfull.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
In your video the sound is fairly noticeable. It also does not sound like anything I have experienced with my Focus ST.

Reactions: spirit

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think the shutter system also opens when the A/C comes on. If you still have them that might be part of the noise?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts