Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 Focus ST in with a lot of modifications. I live in Tampa, Fl. I wondering what dealership and service advisor to take my car too that won't bust my balls about the mods and cover the car under warranty?

·
Vendor
3,278 Posts
When it comes to warranty; in short, innocent until proven guilty.

Certain dealers can be more picky than others when it comes to aftermarket parts. Some dealers are fine with mods whereas other dealers will not accept any mods. We always tell the customer to ask the service advisor first for what’s acceptable at any given dealership and if you have any doubts to return the car to stock form before bringing it in to a dealer.

Furthermore there is a law called the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act that states in order for a dealer to deny warranty work on your car, they have to prove the aftermarket part you have installed caused your issue. For example if your window stops working and you have a cold air intake, the dealer is not going to void your warranty. It is illegal for a dealer to void your warranty for simply having aftermarket parts installed.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
When it comes to warranty; in short, innocent until proven guilty.

Certain dealers can be more picky than others when it comes to aftermarket parts. Some dealers are fine with mods whereas other dealers will not accept any mods. We always tell the customer to ask the service advisor first for what’s acceptable at any given dealership and if you have any doubts to return the car to stock form before bringing it in to a dealer.

Furthermore there is a law called the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act that states in order for a dealer to deny warranty work on your car, they have to prove the aftermarket part you have installed caused your issue. For example if your window stops working and you have a cold air intake, the dealer is not going to void your warranty. It is illegal for a dealer to void your warranty for simply having aftermarket parts installed.
That's a nice theory, however the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act as it relates to automobiles only really covers you for using non OEM service parts that are of equivalent performance such as oil and filters or other parts as it allows for the Manufacturer to readily deny warranty service for parts that caused the vehicle not to perform as intended. So while in theory it should protect the consumer in the case of a blown engine or transmission that was modified, in practice you have to prove that your modification didn't cause the issue. Which if you change the software by tuning you open Pandora's fly as a change in calibration is the quickest way that may lead to exceeding hardware limits. Besides what ever happened to pay to play and owning it when you melt an engine down.
As you say if it's unrelated to the failure then it should be covered.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As long as they can't prove the mods caused the failure I'll be fine. What about the PCM footprint of being flashed ?

·
Vendor
3,278 Posts
That's a nice theory, however the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act as it relates to automobiles only really covers you for using non OEM service parts that are of equivalent performance such as oil and filters or other parts as it allows for the Manufacturer to readily deny warranty service for parts that caused the vehicle not to perform as intended. So while in theory it should protect the consumer in the case of a blown engine or transmission that was modified, in practice you have to prove that your modification didn't cause the issue. Which if you change the software by tuning you open Pandora's fly as a change in calibration is the quickest way that may lead to exceeding hardware limits. Besides what ever happened to pay to play and owning it when you melt an engine down.
As you say if it's unrelated to the failure then it should be covered.
The further expand on what we were saying, anyone who brings a car into a dealer that is heavily modded and expects that dealer to look the other way is asking for trouble. A lot of the time you will learn it is not worth the time, effort, or money to try to appeal the Warranty Act because at the end of the day the dealer has more money and lawyers than you do. As big of a hassle as it could be, it is always the safer route to return the vehicle to stock.

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
As long as they can't prove the mods caused the failure I'll be fine. What about the PCM footprint of being flashed ?
You can disconnect the battery and reset the memory, but then you will have no on/off cycle stored. Even then Ford has the ability to dig into your PCM if they want to and see just what you have been up to. If in doubt you should probably not modify or be ready to pay your own way.

·
1,976 Posts
This thread has been covered many times, please use the search function. Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.