Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
‘13 Focus ST3, Tuxedo Black
245 Posts
2000 Ford Focus. I beat the ever living hell out of that car, but it never let me down. Ran like a champ.

Reactions: EBC Brakes UK

·
Registered
691 Posts
Great, how old was it when you first got it, had it done many miles?
I first got it in 2005,so it was already 37 years old when I got it. Don't know exactly how many miles, somewhere around 35.000 miles

Reactions: EBC Brakes UK

·
Registered
279 Posts
1998 Fiat Coupé 20V Turbo. I bought it in 2000 and used it until 2010. Was an amazing car to drive. 5 pot and manual.

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Turbosmart BPV, Dual OCCs, Innovative RMM, JBR Intake & SS Arm, 245/40R18
785 Posts
This was my first car, 1980 Mazda GLC wagon. It was a 5 spd manual, I think with a 1.4 4 cyl and 80 something Hp. Maybe around 100,000 mi when I got it.
Had to do a head job soon after, was getting gas in the cooling system, overheating and making a knocking noise. #3 was missing the top piston ring! 🤬
Replaced diff with a junkyard unit.
Adding a 1 DIN Sony radio/cassette involved cutting interior dash plastic.
Rebuilt MT with new bearings myself while a Mech Eng student. Cleaned up chipped shift hubs and gears with a Dremel to save a few $ 😁😕
Overloaded it hauling a lot of stuff back and forwards to college. Topped the mountain going about 40 in 2nd, or 3rd if lucky 😁 .
Good stuff and learning. At least it has working AC! 😊

Not actually mine, but same color and look from a search:

·
Registered
439 Posts
186 Honda CRX. This isn't my pic but pretty much identical to the one I had, although I had the steel civic spoked wheels on mine.

No major mods but I upgraded the brakes to performance rotors and pads, Sansui truck rider sub/tweeter boxes, MEI 40W booster to power them, Alpine cassettte deck and Alpine separates in the doors. My plan was an Integra B16A driveline swap, bigger brakes and racing seats. I had to sell the car once my first son came along and traded it in for a then new 92 Cherokee Sport. I still miss The Silver Bullet. Bonus was the factory air conditioning, but driving the car 2000 km from Winnipeg to Barrie Ontario without cruise control killed my knee!

·
Registered
15 Posts
This week We were looking back at some old EBC Brake photos and brochures from 'days gone by' which then got us talking about the first vehicles we all owned (some of these can be seen in our new 'Taking a Break' YouTube series Taking a Brake with the EBC Team | Episode 1: Group CEO, James Hallett - YouTube

So, the question We have is what was the first vehicle you owned and what was so special or, not so special about it?
Was there anything 'quirky' about it? Did it have a name? Did you do any special upgrades to it?

We would love to see photos of your first vehicle and will be sending some free EBC goodies (Cap, Mug, Pen, Lanyard, you know the sort of things!) to a randomly selected forum user at the end of the week.

Get searching for those old photos in those attics/lofts/garages/under parent's beds or just on your phone or computer if you are from the younger generation.

We can't wait to see what you all used to drive, and I am sure occasionally push!

My first car was a Renault GT Turbo Raider with the colour coded wheels. No real modifications to be done so kept it standard, which in those days was more than enough. I wish I still had it as it would have made me a small fortune......
View attachment 389883
My first car was a 1983 Mazda Rx-7 GSL. I didn't like it as a teen because I didn't know anything about rotary engines. Luckily I kept it. 25 years later and I still have it in the same condition, but I'm wiser and understand it a lot better than I did. So to me it's special now.

Quirky things I like is the cruise control, removable sunroof, pop up headlights, it's rwd, and still purrs. Love it! It was my dad's car before he passed, still has the military decal on it from the 80's.

The one and only mod I have is a Racing Beat exhaust. It's an amazing weekend car with my pup.

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
My first car was a 1983 Mazda Rx-7 GSL. I didn't like it as a teen because I didn't know anything about rotary engines. Luckily I kept it. 25 years later and I still have it in the same condition, but I'm wiser and understand it a lot better than I did. So to me it's special now.

One thing quirky I like is that it's a manual transmission, with cruise control, removable sunroof, pop up headlights, it's rwd, and still purrs. Love it! The one and only mod I have is a Racing Beat exhaust. It's an amazing weekend car with my pup.
I had one of those as well, an '83 GSL. I really did love that car and really REALLY wish I still had it. Wasn't my first car, but I still had to weigh in.
Mine was a poo brown color unfortunately.

·
Registered
372 Posts
First Car 1981 Honda Civic, Cost me 300 bucks. It was 5 tone red. That was the color of the car plus the rust and the various spray paints previous owners had sprayed various panels/spots on the car.
I cannot believe now having kids my parents even let me drive that thing. It was honestly a death trap.
This was followed by a 1990 Mercury Cougar. Loved that car. RIP. Teen vs Cougar....Teen 1 Cougar no score.
1986 Ford Mustang. (still owed) now a 351w 5spd with a 150HP shot of NOS. legit 10sec car.
1992 F-150 Flair side. Loved this truck.
2010 F150, Still owned.
2015 Focus ST. Loving this platform.
Also currently own 1986 5.0L T-top Auto
1986 T-Top 5 spd
2016 Fiesta ST.
Insurance is killing me.
Free brakes needed....lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had one of those as well, an '83 GSL. I really did love that car and really REALLY wish I still had it. Wasn't my first car, but I still had to weigh in.
Mine was a poo brown color unfortunately.
I remember that color. I always wanted the 85 turbo, but they were so hard to find. Even back then. Great to see an other previous rx owner.

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST1
26 Posts
Started driving in 2011. Found a mint condition black ‘93 325i selling for $3500 on Craigslist. Went with my dad and talked him down to $2500 on account of it being a salvage. Loved it but the only downside was that it had the GM automatic transmission that went into limp mode when it was cold outside. So I sold it for $3000 and bought a 04 Corolla S with the 5 speed. Bulletproof car but a valet driver messed up my synchros and transmission went out at 176k. BMW looked like this:
96077C43-3515-46EE-91CD-21A535F63DBA.jpeg

·
Registered
19 Posts
My first car was my Grandfathers 97' Lincoln Town Car. Used to think it was a lame car but man, everything was electric, which for back then was pretty cool. 15 Disc CD changer located in the trunk lol. I'd hit a speed bump and I'd still be bouncing 2 miles up the road 😅.

·
Registered
544 Posts
First car 67 Ford Fairlane 500, Originally my Grandma's, she got her license at 60 years old she had it garaged for 10 years and had a stroke. She gave it to my mom, at that time it was 10 years old with 8K, mom put 40K on it. I got it when it was 15 years old with 50k. Drove it 8 years, had plans to keep it and restore it. But mom said, I'm tired of looking at it get rid of it! But MOM it will be worth big money some day!! She didn't care😫

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
My first was a 1989 Honda Accord LXi, with a deep red interior. Learned how to drive manual in that thing and thought I was the ****. It wasn't the fastest but I could get it to chirp second gear. Ended up replacing the clutch, bolts for tie rod ends, fuel pump, a window motor, and all the door/trunk seals. Loved that car. It ended up going to my aunt, who had no money and needed transportation. Never saw the car again.

Looked exactly like below (image pulled from the web)

·
Registered
35 Posts

First car was an '07 Nissan Versa, given to me by my dad.
Certainly wasn't meant to be cool or fun to drive in any way, but I did what I could... including slamming it to the ground.
(This picture was taken in 2012, stance was certainly in its heyday lol)

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I bought my first car when I was 15 1/2, 74 Camaro w/ muncie 4sp and 10 bolt posi . I dropped in a 400 hp sb. That car while fun had a hack job done to the wiring harness and was a pain. At 17 I bought a 70 Chevelle and dropped my sb in it. In 1981 at 19 I bought a 64 Chevy2 in Phoenix attending college and drove it back to Alaska when done, wish I would have kept that car.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The first car I bought with my own money was a 1966 Ford Falcon 2-door. It had lived in Buffalo and had Fred Flintstone braking ports, covered by floor mats of course. It cost me $220 in 1977, the extra $20 was for the PO's installation of recapped tires before putting it on the market. It had the mighty 144ci straight 6 with three on the tree (ask your grandpa what that is). Mods? Some Ford script rainbow-color change stickers is all I remember. I ended up hotwiring it with a toggle switch and a hot alligator clip to initiate the starter when the ignition switch quit. I changed the clutch annually since it probably had a warped flywheel and learned what a PITA drum brakes are to change. This model was the same color as mine:

21 - 40 of 56 Posts