Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to an autocross with my 16 ST1 this weekend and I was looking for some advice on what to do between runs.
This is a non- SCCA event thats limited to under 50 people, as of right now 35 are signed up.
Right in the description of the event it mentions to expect 7-8 runs each.
My dad and I are sharing the car, which will equal about 14-16 runs I would guess.

Is there anything specific I should be doing in between these runs? Do I leave the car on? Turn it off? Anything with the hood? I see some of the sti guys spraying water on their intakes?

The event is on a runway strip and based on previous youtube videos the courses seem to be about 45-50 seconds. That seems like a lot of abuse in a short amount of time.

Any advice to put the least amount of stress on the car is greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
334 Posts
One thing is to make sure the fluids are topped off. And I always keep my car running to cool down the turbo. Hasn't overheated in 100+ degree weather yet.

Jamesbaroneracing.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
With that many runs, especially if they are all close together, the tires might get hot and greasy. Bring a pump up pressure sprayer with water in it to cool the tires down if they start to get too hot. Also bring a tire gauge as the tire pressure will climb because of the heat, so you can drop them back down if they get higher than you want. Might want to raise the hood between runs to help cool off underhood temps, if there is time. On other cars I've autocrossed I would always shut them off between runs (they were all naturally aspirated), but I noticed with the ST that oil temps stay lower if I leave the car on between runs, especially on a hot day with a co-driver.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Check tire pressures as soon as you get off track to see how far they climbed during the lap. But don't actually adjust the pressure until later. As they tires cool, the pressure will fall. So, you will want to wait until just before you grid to adjust them.

Always check the torque on the lug nuts between laps. But also do this just before you grid.

Sixteen 1-minute laps is nothing for this car! Having said that, if you don't have a FMIC upgrade, you might see some loss in power. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to take the car around the block to get some air over it (consider it a cool down lap).

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
after the run:

1) leave car running for a extra minute stopped after slowly cruising to your "pit". this will help cool the motor and turbo at low RPMs

2) DO NOT engage hand brake. Park on a flat ground and leave it in first... block one tire (front and rear) if you are worried about it rolling but if on flat ground you shouldn't worry

3) shut off car and open hood to let the engine bay cool off

4) check lug nuts and tire pressure

5) keep an eye on coolant and other fluids but no reason to do more than a quick glance (make sure you have oil pressure before runs)

(I know others have stated above just going step for step on what I do)

·
Registered
24 Posts
You guys check lug nut torque between every run? That seems a bit excessive. I've never seen anyone do that.
That's what I thought too. I've been autocrossing for 15+ years, and never check them between runs. Usually check them before the event, but that's it. Never had a problem. If doing a track day, sometimes I'll check the lugs between sessions, but that is after 20-30 minutes straight of time on track.

·
Registered
926 Posts
You guys check lug nut torque between every run? That seems a bit excessive. I've never seen anyone do that.
When we do novice school or test & tune days, I check mine during our lunch break when it is broken up into morning and afternoon sessions. I have found one or two loose before, nothing signficant but loose never the less. Other than that, I check it them the day before the drive up, on site as part of the car prep when I arrive, and I check them when I get home.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts