Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be doing some sort of coating when I get home from overseas. Probably AMMONYC's Reflex, I was wondering would glaze go on before the coating or after?

·
Registered
768 Posts
I assume you mean a ceramic coating. Never heard of that brand but typically you don't do ANYTHING with a coating except for what the manufacturer recommends.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Neither. Polish till there are no longer swirls without filling them with glaze.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you're saying no glaze? Interesting. I had planned on clay, polish, glaze, coat, seal, wax. But I will skip the glaze and use that in between coatings to give the shine I am used to with it.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
You need to pick a coating you want then research what plays with it. Normally you don't top a coating with anything. Depending on the coating you may use a "reload type product but that's it. The sealant or wax you are trying to use won't bond with the coating and stick.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Normally though you wash, chemical decontaminate, clay, polish, glaze if you still have light swirling you want a bandaid on and temporarily fill, seal, wax if you want.

Coatings are a different animal, they are semipermanent some having 10 year warrantys (as long as you use the manufacturer soap and a bunch of other stuff). Any flaws in the paint they magnify they don't hide anything like some filler waxes and glazes do. That is why to pay a pro will cost $1,000 or more as he will have 8 10 or more hours in just polishing the paint.
Once the coating sets up, if you notice high spots the only way to fix it is polish it off and start again.
It doesn't take much product. I coated my wheels, two drops (think eye dropper) of product was enough for the entire wheel front and back. It makes cleaning them much easier, just a spray of water from the hose and they are mostly clean. My car has a silica based spray on product to test, I get the same results in a product that is easier to work, but lasts less than a year.

Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of the advice. I am going to go with AMMO's reflex. It's not a ceramic or glass coating that would cost $1000 for someone to do it right but it has the right look and was made to be have the other layers on top as well. I like the approach to be flexible with the protection instead of using a traditional coating where it has a hard finish that if not taken care of properly can be stripped. I have read a lot of what you say about you regimine on your car and I am very similar to that with mine. That's why I want something flexible. So I am able to polish at the end of a winter and have long lasting protection that can be built upon throughout the summer and be protected in the winter with salt and everything that comes in contact with the paint.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I use a product like Reflex just a different brand. My thoughts. It streaked a lot going on YRMV, once on it looks good alone. Just the car getting wet 90% cleans it. No I wouldn't dry it that way but it looks as good or better than most cars on the road. When I wash and am at the dry step I spray a spray wax like megs quik wax (really a sealant) or griots spray on wax. I alternate one week one the next week the other. I do that when the car is still wet as a drying aid. I see no reason why this combo won't last a year of protection. Come fall I will apply a coat of guard n gloss really because I have it and want to use it up.

I daily drive my car, in the last month my commute changed to 30 miles each way, but it's in a garage at home and work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I have a similar drive and will be looking into that when I get home. Do you use a pressure washer and foam cannon at all? Also what's a good detailing forum?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I have a similar drive and will be looking into that when I get home. Do you use a pressure washer and foam cannon at all? Also what's a good detailing forum?
For detailing forum autogeek. No I don't use a foam cannon. They don't replace a traditional two bucket wash. They waste lots of soap, but allow you to take cool pics. Put onr in a garden sprayer and presoak extremely dirty cars with that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts