Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to spend around $1000 on stuff to mod on my 2016 ST but not sure what to do first i for sure want an exhaust but does anyone have any other good things to mod?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I just told someone else on here the same thing today, unless you just want the exhaust for the sound and don't care about a power increase, then consider going with just a high flow dp, or dp + cbe. You will get much more gain from the dp than you will a cbe on this car. Intercooler is always a good idea as the stock one is less than adequate. I love a short shifter and the solid shift bushings are a good improvement, and you can get those for a small portion of your $1k budget. Like I said, depending on what you are trying to accomplish and your long term goals, nothing goes further than a tune. You should look into the Cobb AP V3 and SCT X3 and the companies that tune with them and see if that's something you want to do now or later, but eventually, IMHO the ST deserves a good tune. There's more than enough info on the forum to find just about anything you want and can get any questions you have answered. Happy modding and congrats on the ST!

Reactions: Spauldin

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont know alot about a tune if anything lol do you have to pay for that or its that the cobb access port or is that something different? but in the long run i am for sure ganna fully mod it out just didnt want to go all out cause i just got the car

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
i dont know alot about a tune if anything lol do you have to pay for that or its that the cobb access port or is that something different? but in the long run i am for sure ganna fully mod it out just didnt want to go all out cause i just got the car
You can buy the accessport from one of a handful of companies and with that you get all the Cobb maps plus the tuner's OTS map that will be a good step up from Cobbs maps, but another good step below a custom tune. Still, for the same price as buying the AP from Cobb direct it's a no brainer. I feel bad for the guys that didn't do their research and bought it from Cobb instead of Stratified or Panda or something.

Reactions: Darkdayz23

·
Registered
162 Posts
Purchase a Cobb ap from a tuner. I went with Stratified and I can't believe the difference compared to stock.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I know people generally don't want to hear this, but the best modification you can do is for yourself. Take a good performance driving school, and really learn to handle what is there on the stock car (more than most people think!) Once you get your skills upgraded, then consider mods to the car. As others have pointed out, a Cobb AP is a good place to start.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just had the following completed as of yesterday:

Cobb Stage 3 Kit (Includes cold air intake, intercooler, catback exhuast, down pipe, AP, etc.)
KW Variant 3 Coilovers
Mountune RMM (I didn't use the Cobb RMM as I wanted something a little softer)
NGK Iridium Spark plugs
Breedt Quick Shift Arm
Boomba Transmission Cable Bracket Bushings
Boomba Shifter Base Bushings

My advice if you are looking for a relatively cheap place to start (if you are doing the labor yourself, then particularly so) I would recommend the Breedt Quick Shifter and Boomba Bushings. Man what a difference in terms of fun to drive. Seriously, I cannot get over what the shifter and bushings did for the car. Position 3 on the shifter is what I went with (40% reduction).

I would then go RMM, then AP, then Stage kit.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Going to parrot DAC17. Why not leave it stock? The ST is an amazingly capable car for its price point, and in normal road conditions I see no reason for anyone of us to be pushing it hard enough to be reaching the limits of this vehicle while on public streets.

/un popular opinion.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Living in Florida, I found that I needed to add an intercooler. It gets brutal in summer with the heat and humidity and the stock intercooler gets heat soaked rather quickly. As a result, the car feels gutless. Now it's natural for a turbo charged car to feel more powerful in the winter than the summer, that's physics. You may not experience that issue in Chicago. But the first and most important mod, is the eurospec cup holders. Add's tremendous class to the inside of the car :cool2:

20160730_101609.jpg 20160730_101601.jpg

·
Registered
421 Posts
I know people generally don't want to hear this, but the best modification you can do is for yourself. Take a good performance driving school, and really learn to handle what is there on the stock car (more than most people think!) Once you get your skills upgraded, then consider mods to the car. As others have pointed out, a Cobb AP is a good place to start.
Didn't I read if you buy a new focus in the last 2 years you get a free driving school class at Octane or something?

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
looking to spend around $1000 on stuff to mod on my 2016 ST but not sure what to do first i for sure want an exhaust but does anyone have any other good things to mod?
$1000.00 buys a bunch of high performance stickers! You'll be FAST!!! (Get an AccessPort and intercooler).

·
Registered
428 Posts
Didn't I read if you buy a new focus in the last 2 years you get a free driving school class at Octane or something?
STOA, ST Octane Academy. https://www.stoctaneacademy.com/

It is a one day course in Salt Lake City. You must have purchased the car new in the last 12 months and you have to pay for travel and lodging.

STOA is not meant to teach you how to drive better, but rather just to kind of show off the capabilities of the car and have fun with it. There are good learning opportunities like the skid car, but it won't replace a real driving school like what's offered by Skip Barber.

Don't get me wrong, STOA is a blast, and if you don't take advantage of it, you are missing out on one of the best freebies you get from owning this car. But it doesn't replace a dedicated "driving school".

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Be careful, a tune will void your warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This isn't at all factual.

1st- If you have an issue that can't be proved to be caused by a tune, it won't affect warranty claims.

2nd- If you install a tune with the Accessport, you can uninstall the tune in about 5 minutes and remove the accessport from the vehicle. They will never know it existed.

3rd- There are dozens and dozens of users on here who are tuned and have had warranty work done to prove the above points

·
Registered
5 Posts
This isn't at all factual.

1st- If you have an issue that can't be proved to be caused by a tune, it won't affect warranty claims.

2nd- If you install a tune with the Accessport, you can uninstall the tune in about 5 minutes and remove the accessport from the vehicle. They will never know it existed.

3rd- There are dozens and dozens of users on here who are tuned and have had warranty work done to prove the above points
For comment #2. In other vehicles each time you flash a tune it leaves a log in the ECU that cannot be erased. Even when it is flashed back to stock. The dealer will notice and your warranty is void from the first tune you flashed.

Is this true for the focus? Can you flash back to stock and not worry about the dealer knowing?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
For comment #2. In other vehicles each time you flash a tune it leaves a log in the ECU that cannot be erased. Even when it is flashed back to stock. The dealer will notice and your warranty is void from the first tune you flashed.

Is this true for the focus? Can you flash back to stock and not worry about the dealer knowing?
From what I've gathered from the flash tunes (Maybe @[email protected] can help me here) the tune leaves no trace of itself when uninstalled. I've read it several times on this forum in the past, unless something changed it doesn't leave any trace.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
It leaves a trace.
You know this for a fact? Technically if it does have a log then my assumptions would be that it would leave something and that I was wrong, however unless you blow a motor it still wouldn't void the warranty. Nothing "voids" a warranty completely.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts