Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the best sealants and waxes to use to keep the rear bumper and hatch from collecting so much carbon?

Carbon wasn't much of an issue until I installed an aftermarket exhaust and now carbon buildup is ridiculous on the rear. I've been using Jet Seal and other chem guy waxes but they really don't deflect the carbon.

I'm gonna be optimistic and hope there's something out there that deflects carbon well.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
A better tune will reduce carbon
If you have a Catless downpipe like I do, even with my nice tune it makes a TON of carbon. I don't think that'll help him at all unless he is running super rich for some reason. It's mainly exhaust related.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
I only washed my car twice since claying and waxing w/ carnuba a year ago, and everything cleaned up easy w/ minimal claying this year. I think that's the best you can hope for...

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Honestly, any good high quality sealant or wax job after a solid and thorough claying will be the best thing at keeping it off. Put it on thick on the rear of the car and do it correctly after claying it as well as you can and that will help you be able to remove the carbon that lays on top of it. Same with the front for bugs. Acts like a little shield and is easier to remove from the wax/seal coat than it is from the paint/clear.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Ceramic coatings ... Look into HCC9 from stayfresh ... or quartz+ (I think thats the name)

·
Registered
768 Posts
Putting a wax on thick and heavy does nothing. Only so much of a microscopic layer will adhere to the surface, regardless.

Nothing will prevent the carbon from sticking; only good surface prep/care will make it clean off super easy. I agree with a ceramic coating. Just started playing with them this year and they’re awesome. Also, over a year is a way long time to go with a carnuba. Carnubas are great for aesthetics, not so much for durability. I’d give them three months, four tops.

Having said that, this thread sure is making me second guess my desire to go catless.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Also, over a year is a way long time to go with a carnuba. Carnubas are great for aesthetics, not so much for durability. I’d give them three months, four tops.

Heard that before, but Meguiars carnuba plus worked for me, I guess it says it has some added synthetic polymers. When I use it up I'll prob try something else but for how cheap this stuff was, how well it did and how much is left, probably good enough for my ST which is garaged at home and at work.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
To answer the op's question, nothing short of redesigning the car. The way the aerodynamics work air is sucked back toward the car, that is why th back gets so dusty.

Carnuba waxs are great for a show car, they make the car have a deeper gloss, but don't last. If you get 4-6 weeks on a daily driven stays outside even at work car you're lucky. Sealants are the way to go. You will get 6-9 months of protection so your twice a year (spring and fall) you will be good.
No matter what you use prep is key. Wash, chemical decontamination, clay, then seal.
Coatings are even better, they can last form 1 year till???? Some claim lifetime, but I would never say that to a customer.
I have tested a few silica spray sealants. Two of my cars have it and sheet water like crazy after 4 months.

Some best product? The one you will use and use correctly. Follow the directions on the bottle, and prep correctly.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Bone stock and I get plenty of carbon too. Now I'm rethinking going catless.

I've been using CG jetseal topped with NXT2.0 for longer lasting wax. I've got CG butter wet wax for deep shine but only for a few days.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Bone stock and I get plenty of carbon too. Now I'm rethinking going catless.

I've been using CG jetseal topped with NXT2.0 for longer lasting wax. I've got CG butter wet wax for deep shine but only for a few days.
Yeah, once you go catless you start losing the desire to clean it because it is ALL. THE. TIME.

I love my backfires on occasion, but after I hear them the carbon soot is RIDICULOUS back there. Ugh.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Welp...guess I’ll be sticking with a cat then! This thread has been depressing. LOL. Would a high flow cat be as bad? Surprised to hear that about stock though; I don’t get anything on the back of mine but the standard dust/road grime.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Longer exhaust tips actually make a huge diff. I didn't install them for that purpose, but made a HUGE diff. And this stuff
Rejex. Look it up, it's pretty spectacular. Makes the surface super slippery and good for paint, powder coat, glass, plastic etc

Exhaust tips really don't stick out that far visually, but considerably reduce carbon build up on bumper, see below.

Reactions: CDB

·
Registered
484 Posts
Delete me

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A better tune will reduce carbon
^ This guy. My tune is on point but thanks for the suggestion.

Yea I spent 3 days of my weeks vacation doing my first paint correction on the ST and after the first drive noticed a few carbon specs, its just heartbreaking to try to keep the rear clean anymore.

So ceramic coatings seem to be worth looking into is what I'm gathering, Thanks all for the input.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Longer exhaust tips actually make a huge diff. I didn't install them for that purpose, but made a HUGE diff. And this stuff
Rejex. Look it up, it's pretty spectacular. Makes the surface super slippery and good for paint, powder coat, glass, plastic etc

Exhaust tips really don't stick out that far visually, but considerably reduce carbon build up on bumper, see below.
My tips stick out about the same and I was thinking maybe I need to tuck them in more.

By the way your ST looks amazing, I wish I would have ordered OW. The wheels and Tips really make it pop.

·
Registered
783 Posts
@spankyhh60 That may be the sharpest white car I have ever seen. Great work.

·
Registered
484 Posts
My tips stick out about the same and I was thinking maybe I need to tuck them in more.

By the way your ST looks amazing, I wish I would have ordered OW. The wheels and Tips really make it pop.
Thank you! The longer tips def made a positive difference for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
484 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts