Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed my "stage 3" mods, so my mods are currently Cobb AP, roush catback, off road DP, bov, and cpe intercooler. Some time this fall I am getting either a efr7163 or a gtx29 or gtx30. My questions without being hassled for not searching over every post on this forum is, what other mods can I do to improve reliability? Oil cooler? Coil pack? Spark plugs? Fuel pumps? I would rather spend money on keeping it somewhat reliable before spending more money on motor mounts and suspension parts to put down the power. My end goal is 500whp but initial goal is at least 400whp. Any tips? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's going to depend on tune. 400-425 on stock motor safely. Anything past that and your pushing your luck
What mods should I do to maintain reliability on stock block? Oil cooler? Fuel pump? Or are stock parts good enough for 400whp on a daily

·
Registered
217 Posts
What mods should I do to maintain reliability on stock block? Oil cooler? Fuel pump? Or are stock parts good enough for 400whp on a daily

You have some reading to do...

I'm not religious, but a wise old owl once said to me "There is no shortcut into heaven. You have to pray. "

Google "site:focusst.org <your question/key words here>"

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just installed my "stage 3" mods, so my mods are currently Cobb AP, roush catback, off road DP, bov, and cpe intercooler. Some time this fall I am getting either a efr7163 or a gtx29 or gtx30. My questions without being hassled for not searching over every post on this forum is, what other mods can I do to improve reliability? Oil cooler? Coil pack? Spark plugs? Fuel pumps? I would rather spend money on keeping it somewhat reliable before spending more money on motor mounts and suspension parts to put down the power. My end goal is 500whp but initial goal is at least 400whp. Any tips? Thanks

It doesnt matter what you do, the more power you make the more reliability you lose. Those two do not go hand in hand ever.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It doesnt matter what you do, the more power you make the more reliability you lose. Those two do not go hand in hand ever.
That's not what I asked? I asked what mods improve reliability. Common sense says more power less reliability. That doesn't mean I'm not going to try and build my car right and make it as reliable as possible. Never did I say I want it to be reliable as stock.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You have some reading to do...

I'm not religious, but a wise old owl once said to me "There is no shortcut into heaven. You have to pray. "

Google "site:focusst.org <your question/key words here>"

I've read all up and down the forum. And the reason I'm asking is because I don't want to take short cuts but thanks for your input.

·
Registered
387 Posts

The low pressure fuel pump isn't going to be a bottleneck for 400hp. The high pressure fuel pump unfortunately will be. To date there hasn't been a replacement that has panned out. You will want to look into an auxiliary fuel setup, such as Stratified's or Speed performance's.

Possibly look at meth injection as well, if not for power but the extra cooling capabilities.

You may want to consider going with colder spark plugs, many go with a step colder but your tuner would be able to flesh out what exactly is best here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The low pressure fuel pump isn't going to be a bottleneck for 400hp. The high pressure fuel pump unfortunately will be. To date there hasn't been a replacement that has panned out. You will want to look into an auxiliary fuel setup, such as Stratified's or Speed performance's.

Possibly look at meth injection as well, if not for power but the extra cooling capabilities.

You may want to consider going with colder spark plugs, many go with a step colder but your tuner would be able to flesh out what exactly is best here.
Thank you for your very useful and valuable input. So going with and aux fuel setup and and meth injection kit on top of colder sparks are the proper mods to do to improve reliability? Any others you can think of? Oil cooler? I will eventually build block but would like to keep it stock untill something breaks internally, then do a complete rebuild. But untill then I want to do additional mods to improve reliability beige and after the build.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Thank you for your very useful and valuable input. So going with and aux fuel setup and and meth injection kit on top of colder sparks are the proper mods to do to improve reliability? Any others you can think of? Oil cooler? I will eventually build block but would like to keep it stock untill something breaks internally, then do a complete rebuild. But untill then I want to do additional mods to improve reliability beige and after the build.

Lowering internal temps will always help with reliability. Even the auxiliary port injection setup has a cooling benefit, but the meth will help out quite a bit as well if you are willing to go through that hassle.

I can only give general comments on the oil cooler as I never had one myself but those who do have them praise them. You may also want to consider one of the thicker radiators as well, as I believe some of the track cars still hit a soft limp mode due to water temp.

Heat is what kills and anything you can do to remove the heat (to a point) will help longevity.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lowering internal temps will always help with reliability. Even the auxiliary port injection setup has a cooling benefit, but the meth will help out quite a bit as well if you are willing to go through that hassle.

I can only give general comments on the oil cooler as I never had one myself but those who do have them praise them. You may also want to consider one of the thicker radiators as well, as I believe some of the track cars still hit a soft limp mode due to water temp.

Heat is what kills and anything you can do to remove the heat (to a point) will help longevity.
Never thought about radiator but you're right, I should add that to my list as well

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've read all up and down the forum. And the reason I'm asking is because I don't want to take short cuts but thanks for your input.

If you'd read the forums "up and down", you would have your answers. But thanks for your very helpful and valuable feedback.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you'd read the forums "up and down", you would have your answers. But thanks for your very helpful and valuable feedback.

I understand it turns you on when you come across a post like mine and are able to tell me that I could've scoured the whole forum to find my answer, but sometimes it's nice when another forum member can save you some time reading when they already know the answer. I like to spread knowledge, not just keep it to myself

1 - 18 of 18 Posts