Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

So I'm the proud owner of a new 2017 ST3, and need some advise. Currently Cobb doesn't offer Accessport support for the 17 models, so there's really no point in doing any power mods without a tune to get real gains. In the meantime I'm on a mission to get the power the ST currently makes to the wheels better, and trying to eliminate wheel hop, torque steer, etc. See my signature for a list of the mods currently in the car, but where should I go next? I don't have a huge budget so a full suspension setup is out of the question for now (but I have my sights set on the mountune clubsport package), but should I go TSMM/PSMM? Sway Bars? Strut tower brace? Other?

Let me know what you all think!

·
Registered
979 Posts
FMIC, no brainer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FMIC, no brainer.
How much benefit will I get from the lower charge temps without an AP? From what I have read i was under the impression that no bolt on part will give me more power without a tune to go with it. Am I wrong here, or will the FMIC preventing heat soak be a benefit alone?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Intercooler to combat the horrible heat soak the stock unit has. Then tires and suspension. I would also suggest shifting mods. Shifter, solid bushings, clutch line.

Sent from another garage.
Tires and suspension are a bit out of my budget for the immediate future (it'll be hard to convince my wife to let me have them when the stock ones are brand new) Are there any tires you'd recommend for down the road? I'd heard good things about the pilot super sports, but don't know much about tires in general.

As for shifter mods I've done just about all there is to do there, I'm just waiting on a knob from Derrick at Anarchy Motive.
Thanks for the advise, it may be FMIC timesooner rather than later. They're just so damn expensive.

Reactions: Duece McCracken

·
Registered
979 Posts
How much benefit will I get from the lower charge temps without an AP? From what I have read i was under the impression that no bolt on part will give me more power without a tune to go with it. Am I wrong here, or will the FMIC preventing heat soak be a benefit alone?
You will get consistent power, right now you will feel power loss after boosting through a few gears because your turbo is cooking the air and the stock fmic can't keep up. New Fmic and your charge temps will stay low no matter how much you slam the go button. Shifter upgrades are great, there are 6 total without digging into the tranny: Short shift lever, shifter base bushings, tranny cable bracket bushings, shifter cable end bushings, shift arm/plate and stainless clutch line. I have 4 of the 6 done, lever and base bushings are next, shifts very nice.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I am currently running a OEM tune with a Mountune intercooler and it it helps. The car does not loose power compared to OEM. Definitely better than stock and icing on the cake is the 93 octane tune which will come for a 17 in short order.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Tires and suspension are a bit out of my budget for the immediate future (it'll be hard to convince my wife to let me have them when the stock ones are brand new) Are there any tires you'd recommend for down the road? I'd heard good things about the pilot super sports, but don't know much about tires in general.

As for shifter mods I've done just about all there is to do there, I'm just waiting on a knob from Derrick at Anarchy Motive.
Thanks for the advise, it may be FMIC timesooner rather than later. They're just so damn expensive.
and with an upgraded IC, the benefits of the tune (once you get it) will be even better. win/win

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Head over to Utah for the Octane Academy. Bring your wife and tell her it's a romantic weekend away..you'll just be busy one of those days.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Subscribe to parts for sale on this site and just be patient, or create a WTB thread. The right deal will come along, they sell all day for $300-500 on here sometimes with charge pipes included.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I've decided that FMIC is probably the way to go, now I just need to figure out which one. How much difference is there between the various options? I don't plan on going big turbo since this is my daily, so could I get away with the depo racing 3.5 that's only a couple hundred or are the more expensive options like cp-e/cobb/mountune really that much better? What're y'all's thoughts on levels?

Thanks again

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey All,

So I'm the proud owner of a new 2017 ST3, and need some advise. Currently Cobb doesn't offer Accessport support for the 17 models, so there's really no point in doing any power mods without a tune to get real gains. In the meantime I'm on a mission to get the power the ST currently makes to the wheels better, and trying to eliminate wheel hop, torque steer, etc. See my signature for a list of the mods currently in the car, but where should I go next? I don't have a huge budget so a full suspension setup is out of the question for now (but I have my sights set on the mountune clubsport package), but should I go TSMM/PSMM? Sway Bars? Strut tower brace? Other?

Let me know what you all think!
https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-14204-FSTA just saying.

I have a 2017 too. FRPP was the first tune that came out and the one i grabbed. the 37k warranty helped sway me too. I put it on Friday. Trueblueracing has it for 399.99. Ill elt you know how it feels, seems like guys LOVE it or hate it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
it may be FMIC timesooner rather than later. They're just so damn expensive.
Get a custom tune, free flow airfilter and RMM (optional). Feel the power increase throughout the band range and then as your appetite for power :wink: grows get an FMIC.

·
Administrator
11,830 Posts
Get a custom tune, free flow airfilter and RMM (optional). Feel the power increase throughout the band range and then as your appetite for power :wink: grows get an FMIC.
This is not an optimal order at all, and will waste the OP's limited funds.

A custom tune now? Thats not smart spending.

Factory fmic heatsoaks horrendously, and should be replaced immediately to both preserve the power he is making now and to protect the motor will cooler charge air temps.

Since the OP is short on cash, for the money the Depo 3.5 is fantastic. No need to buy charge pipes, just snag the FMIC. It's the best move.

After fmic, an AP3 with an ots map would really wake up the car. Totally worth the money.

As far as FRPP is concerned, after all the headaches my buddy Joe dealt with about their warranty coverage, I will never suggest it.

Ap3 over SCT in my book. Ap3 with its active custom gauges allows you to monitor ign corrections and anything else you could want. It is also the most popular tuning device which is supported by the largest variety of tuners.

Reactions: Mbiro594

·
Registered
279 Posts
This is not an optimal order at all, and will waste the OP's limited funds.

A custom tune now? Thats not smart spending.

Factory fmic heatsoaks horrendously, and should be replaced immediately to both preserve the power he is making now and to protect the motor will cooler charge air temps.
Sorry I beg to differ with you.

Perhaps you did not understand what I meant by custom tune. I was trying to refrain from talking about particular brands and pro tuners. Anyways since you opened up, What I meant from Custom Tune was getting the AP3, STC and custom tune or OTS tune. Most of the pro tuners sell the device with a custom tune for a small fee or include it free during offers

"Protect the Motor" Really? how many motors have your seen that blow with a mild custom or OTS tune. Most reputable protuners will check the logs and are always prudent with their mapping when it comes to adjusting boost or fuel, making sure the car does not run lean. I was on a Randy tune prior to the FMIC for over a year and our ambient temps in summers are over 110 degrees. Car runs great power and mileage.

Stock FMIC is not bad for the stock car as daily driver and occasional spirited driving unless you want to do track or drive heavy plus adding an FMIC you need to get a tune done anyways to see the real benefits form such a big purchase. So with the OP limited funds going FMIC first is not the right approach. An AP3 will get him smiling not just an FMIC. But Tune + FMIC is the ultimate best for our car. I agree with you on AP3 over SCT. Better option.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
During the summer when I had the stock intercooler I could get it to heat soak just by cruising on the highway and feel the power loss. It is not very efficient at all. The crappy CX Racing one I used as a bandaid was better.

Sent from another garage.
I guess the difference is people like us who look for and can actually notice the big difference in power loss vs those who don't care or don't push their car the same manner. I certainly noticed it. And those who dyno stock ST's see like 225hp the 1st run then 180-190 the 2nd run..so it's not like there isn't proof of this lol. The stock unit compared to aftermarket side by side is ridiculous, it's crap.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts