Ford Focus ST Forum banner

What is your GS Setup

67K views 136 replies 56 participants last post by  justint5387 
#1 · (Edited)
I just wanted to start up a easy to read thread with info on how people setup their car for GS.

Please try and keep the below Format. There are not that many Mods that are street legal so it should be a pretty short list.

I just picked my 2014 up in November so with buying a set of winter wheels and tires a few months ago my budget for summer has been a bit depleted. My Current setup is as follows. Still have a couple months before the season starts here in chicago.

Wheels: Stock
Tires: Bridgestone RE-71R 255/35 18
Pressures: 48-50 Front 38-40 Rear
Sway Bar: Rear Strano medium setting
Sway Bar End Links: Stock
Shocks/Struts: Stock 2014
Exhaust: resonator Delete.
Break Pads: Stock
Break Fluid: TBD
Oil: TBD
Other: Green Filter With Cap

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I'm always happy to share my setup :) I'll be updating this as my car changes...

Last change: 4/20/15

Wheels: 17" Sport Edition F10
Tires: Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec 255/40/17
Pressures: 1st run starting pressures 36F/30R
Sway Bar: Rear - Stranoparts, middle setting
Exhaust: Stock
Brake Pads: Stock
Brake Rotor: Stock Late 2014 Larger Front
Brake Fluid: Whatever came in it new
Oil: No preference
Other: K&N Filter
Alignment: Stock

#3 ·
Here is my set-up, more development to come this year. I added a couple items to your list as well :)

YR/Model: 2013 ST1
Wheels: 17x8 OZ Ultraleggerra in white
Tires: Bridgestone RE-71R 255/40-17
Pressures: 35-38F 30-32R
Sway Bar: Rear Stranoparts triple adjustable (absolute MUST have!)
Sway Bar End Links: Steeda adjustable
Shocks/Struts: Koni's with off the shelf valving
Exhaust: Magnaflow cat-back
Brake Fluid: ATE
Oil: OE Ford Motorcraft synthetic blend
Air filter: Green Filter for the street, K&N for competition
Alignment: -1.1 camber & 1/8" total toe-out front, zero toe & OE camber rear

#5 ·
Car is too new to really tell what set up will be for the season, but for now ;

YR/Model: 2015 ST1
Wheels: 17x8 Moda 18
Pressures: 38-42F 32-34R Maybe, we'll see
Sway Bar: Rear Stranoparts
Shocks/Struts:stock
Exhaust: ? stock for now
Brake Pads: Stock (for now)
Brake Fluid: Stock
Oil: for now whatever is in it now (only 500 miles on it) Possibly Royal Purple
Air filter: AEM
Alignment: as much camber as possible & 1/8" total toe-out front, zero toe & OE camber rear

#6 ·
I autocrossed my Focus twice last year bone stock, still had the temp tags on it and i think i rolled 1,000 miles while racing lol.
I also only race at the local club level so i don't need the hottest set-up to be competitive. I was able to get 2nd fastest PAX time of the
day with a bone stock car with my girlfriend riding passenger the first time i ever autocrossed the car. Im excited to race it with the
small changes i have made.

YR/Model: 2014 ST2
Wheels: factory snowflakes
Tires: dunlop Z2's (non star spec) 245-45-18
Pressures: as low as i can get away with before i start rolling the sidewalls, haven't run the new tires yet.
Sway Bar: Steeda
Shocks/Struts: stock
Exhaust: Magnaflow "custom" (deleted the resonator and muffler and put in a small magnaflow in place of the resonator)
Brake Pads: Hawk HP+
Brake Fluid: undecided
Oil: Penziol European blend 5w-40
Air filter: Green Filter for the street, stock for competition
Alignment: stock for now, may try Race2wins recipe

#12 ·
YR/Model: 2014 ST1 in National Championship Blue
Wheels: 17x8 OZ Ultraleggerra in black - 1 of the sets I have is the exact set Mark used at Nationals last year so you know that's worth 2 tenths
Tires: Bridgestone RE-71R 255/40-17, BFG Rival-S 255/40-17
Pressures: ?
Sway Bar: Rear ST sway bar
Sway Bar End Links: OEM w/Energy Suspension bushings
Shocks/Struts: Rear OTS Koni's
Exhaust: Buscher Cat-Back with custom muffler delete
Brake Pads: Hawk DTC-30 Front/OEM rear
Brake Fluid: StopTech STR600
Oil: OE Motorcraft synthetic blend with OE Motorcraft oil filter
Air filter: AEM Dryflow - It's super dusty where I live so oiled filters get grungy in a matter of weeks
Alignment: Whatever camber I can get. 0/0 F/R toe to start, most likely adding front toe
Misc: Aftermarket shift knob - Only because the rules allow it

I'll update once I get to install everything in a few weeks and see how little camber I can get. Really curious on how the exhaust is going to sound as a full cat-back straight pipe.

#17 ·
I forgot how nice it was to work on a new car that doesn't have everything rusted in place.

I'm actually shocked at how tight the rear bushings are glued onto the swaybar. From reading about it for two years I knew it was an issue but damn this is a bit ridiculous. So much so that we started to try and take them apart and the bushing were tearing. Talked to some Ford engineer friends and basically the "break away" glue never broke away as intended.

Didn't mess with the alignment for now as it was 0 toe front and rear. Will most likely start to add front toe out as I begin running the car.

Buscher cat-back with the muffler delete sounds wicked going through 2nd gear. Not nearly as loud as I thought it would be. On the other hand drone at highway speeds is insane. The good news is you can't even hear the sound symposer. Of all the turbo cars I've had this is the only one I actually put the muffler back on and even then I'm surprised at just how loud the drone is on the highway. The only driving the car see is once a week to events or when visiting friends so no big deal. If I was daily driving this I would consider another brand.

Bleeding the brakes was also surprising at how much air was in the system in all 4 corners. Talking to some engineering friends they weren't surprised at all as the factory puts in enough fluid to fill the system and chances of air being in the ABS unit is pretty high.

Unfortunately while driving from Detroit back to Chicago a semi decided to blow a tire and it was swerve and cause a big wreck or try and offset the hit. So the right front corner of the fasica and fog light were blown apart and the right side lower valance was ejected. Looked in the review to see it flying through the air and then get ran over by another semi. Could have been alot worse and looks like it was only plastic that was damaged hopefully. So may miss the first planned event in Milwaukee while its getting fixed.

#13 ·
I just wanted to start up a easy to read thread with info on how people setup their car for GS.

Please try and keep the below Format. There are not that many Mods that are street legal so it should be a pretty short list.

I just picked my 2014 up in November so with buying a set of winter wheels and tires a few months ago my budget for summer has been a bit depleted. My Current setup is as follows. Still have a couple months before the season starts here in chicago.

Tires: Bridgestone RE-71R 255/35 18
Pressures:TBD
Sway Bar: Rear Strano
Other: Green Filter With Cap

Well 255/35 18 RE-71R's are a no go on the stock ST wheels... I had 3 shops and an SCCA local try every trick they could to seat them. now it is decision time... get the 17 modas and the seemingly standard 255/40 17 or try and decide between the 245/40 or 255/40 18's... 255 add an extra 3lbs so if I stick with the stocks I think I will be doing 245/40.

#14 · (Edited)
Nothing terribly exciting right now. RSB + endlinks just went on the car last weekend and haven't run with them yet. Not spending money on Konis until the stock struts die.

YR/Model: 2013 ST3 (no sunroof)
Wheels: 17x8 Moda MD18
Tires: Dunlop Direzza ZII StarSpec 245/40/17 (gambled on the shorter gearing due to short local courses)
Pressures: 37F/35R seems to be where the Z2* are happy
Sway Bar: Rear Stranoparts triple adjustable
Sway Bar End Links: Massive Adjustable Rear
Shocks/Struts: Stock
Brake Pads: Hawk HPS (sometimes HP+ on "track" based autocrosses)
Brake Fluid: ATE Superblue (I still have some!)
Oil: Mobil 1
Air filter: Green Filter (w/cap for events)

#15 ·
Nothing terribly exciting right now. RSB + endlinks just went on the car last weekend and haven't run with them yet. Not spending money on Konis until the stock struts die.

YR/Model: 2013 ST3 (no sunroof)
Wheels: 17x8 Moda MD18
Tires: Dunlop Direzza ZII StarSpec 245/40/17 (gambled on the shorter gearing due to short local courses)
Pressures: New tires, still calculating. Last event liked 42F/37R
Sway Bar: Rear Stranoparts triple adjustable
Sway Bar End Links: Massive Adjustable Rear
Brake Pads: Hawk HPS (sometimes HP+ on "track" based autocrosses)
Brake Fluid: ATE Superblue (I still have some!)
Oil: Mobil 1
Air filter: Green Filter (w/cap for events)

How do you like the HPS vs HP+ pads? I decided to go with the hps pads because i was scared the hp+ pads would take too long to come up to operating temp on the autocross and just be a terrible street pad... Do you notice any big difference in stopping power between the two and over stock pads? I was hesitant to buy pads when the car only had 10k Miles on it, but i have a late build 14 so i have the bigger rotors and less aggressive stock pad.

Also an Edit to my setup... Removed the Steeda RSB end links, i could not get them to stop making noise, i suspect it the flimsy hiem joint. Plus the threaded rod on the end links was no thicker than factory links witch have a nice sealed joint. I did however steal the red bushings from the steeda links and spaced them with some washers to fit on the ford links.. I like that set-up much better. First autocross in a few weeks, I cannot wait!

#18 ·
Tires: Michelin Pilot Super Sports in stock Size until my RS3's get in
Pressures: First event with PSS coming up
Sway Bar: Rear Steeda (swapping to a Stranos soon)
Brake Rotor: Stock
Brake Fluid: Motul RBF660
Oil: Pennzoil Ultra/Motocraft Blend
Other: Green Filter
Alignment: -1.1 camber in front/-1.5 rear, 1/8th Toe out in the rear/zero front

#19 · (Edited)
I also took Mark's advice on tire pressure starting the season - just tires and smaller wheels for me.
YR/Model: 2014 ST3
Wheels: 17x8 Moda
Pressures: 38F 32R
Sway Bar: Stock - but I may get the Strano Rear bar this summer.

June 10 change:
Alignment done - 1/8 toe out front, and 1/16 toe in rear

June 15 change:
adjustable Strano bar installed

#26 ·
Just picked up my 2015 Oxford White ST yesterday (May 29th). Not enough miles to run in tomorrow's San Diego AutoX. But I will be checking and using this thread to set up the car for next years San Diego Championship season. Had to give up a Mini Cooper S because it just wasn't competitive in DS against WRX's.

#27 · (Edited)
Wheels: Stock Tires: Stock Pressures:41f/41r Sway Bar: Steeda rear bar End Links: Stock Shocks/Struts: Stock 2014 Exhaust: stock Break Pads: Stock Break Fluid: Stock Oil: Mobil 1 syn. Other: Fr tune/steeda ic/buschur dp/back seats out Pads and fluid are next along with the sway bar. Class: street modified

#29 ·
YR/Model: 2015 ST1
Wheels: Stock, 18" Rado
Tires: Stock, Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 235/40R18 @ 3000 Miles
Pressures: 40F 37R
Sway Bar: Stock
Oil: OE Ford Motorcraft Synthetic Blend
Air Filter: Green Filter

Going to my first ever SCCA Solo event this weekend.

#30 · (Edited)
YR/Model: 2014 ST2
Wheels: Drag DR 34 18x8
Tires: Bridgestone RE-71R 245/40/18
Pressures: Trying to figure it out
Sway Bar: ST Suspension adjustable in stiff setting
Oil: OE Ford Motorcraft Synthetic Blend
Air Filter: Stock Filter*

#31 ·
Wheels: MODA MD 18
Tires: Hankook 225x45x17 R-S3 (came off my Mini, using them up)
Pressures:F-40, R-35
Sway Bar: Rear Stock (Gotta call Strano)
Shocks/Struts: Stock 2015
Other: K&N Air Filter

Car has 2K miles on it. Entered 2 events, 2nd place both times.

#32 ·
Wheels: TSW Nurburgrings *Not GS legal but local Region is cool about minor things*
Tires: Bridgestone RE71R 245/40/18
Pressures (hot): 41 F, 37-38 R
Rear Swaybar: Steeda
Rear Endlinks: Steeda Adj
Shocks: Stock
Exhaust: Buschur Racing Catback
Brake Fluid: Motul 600
Oil: RedLine 5W30
Filter: Cobb

Everything is working great so far- Have to play with pressures a little more, and dial in my driving style. The Steeda rear bar allows the rear to lift nicely in the corners and get rotation. I am wanting to get Konis for the rear and try to tune it in a bit more at some point but who knows when. Also Braking is great for stock, but could use a little more bite and temp resistance so I'll be doing a full flush and some pads at some point. Couldn't be happier with this car. 1st place in class first event, 3rd place in the second event- looking forward to more.

#33 ·
Tires: Michelin Pilot Supersports (yeah, make your rude comments, I already know what you are going say)
Pressures (hot): 42 to 45 F, 33 to 36 R depending on course and surface
Rear Swaybar: Cobb (soft)
Rear Endlinks: Stock
Shocks: Stock
Oil: Recommended 5W30
Filter: K&N

I'm going to take a lot of crap for the tires. Yes, I know that I'm giving up a ton of time, but I've been 1.) dragging my feet lately about getting a 17" setup and 2.) I had to relearn how to drive because these 200 TW tires keep masking all my mistakes. I'm not doing bad time wise but they keep me honest and have put up with a ton of abuse in the 3 events they have been in with going to the Michelin testing facility next month (our largest course by a long shot) with a possible co-driver will give me an idea of just how well I am doing with getting back onboard with my relearning progress. I'm competitive on them so there isn't a huge loss on my part.

#34 ·
YR/Model: 2014 ST3
Tires: Goodyear F1 Assymetric
Pressures: 40F 36R
Oil: Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5W-30
Air filter: Stock

Will update as I change things around a little

#35 ·
YR/Model: 2015 ST3
Tires: Nitto NT05 245/40/18
Pressures: 40F 36R
Oil: Ford Motorcraft 5w30 semi synthetic
Air filter: Cobb

I'm very impressed with how well these cars handle right out of the box from the factory.

#37 ·
I've only run one event so far.

Wheels: Axis Sport XM
Tires: Stock F1s
Pressures: 39 Front 37 Rear
Break Fluid: Stock
Oil: Stock
Other: Steeda CAI

Took 2nd in my class, 1.9 off first to another Focus ST who had better tires and rear sway bar.