Registered
7 Posts
2016 ST3
Enkei RPF1 with RE71R
Koni rears
Strano RSB
AEM Filter

Works very well for me.

I'm looking at buying some sacrificial OEM front struts and then putting in Koni double or single adjustable inserts. Anyone have any luck/experience with that? I love adjusting the rears and the effects on handling at the edge are significant so I'm really interested in the fronts too but if anyone has feedback please tell me!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ended up ordering the custom double adjustables. Should be fun once I get them in a few weeks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Updated my post for rear tire pressure. I've run everything between 30 and 40 psi in the rear and 38 is where I landed. I was running 30 psi rear and the grip was great but it pushed a lot and I was struggling on turnarounds that are common on runways. The rear rotates around so nicely with the higher rear pressures but is less planted in slaloms and other twitchy areas. I've been able to pick up a lot of time on tight turnarounds because with lower pressures I was understeering and had to take a wider line. With the high rear pressures, I can take a much tighter line and whip it around even at comparable speeds. I have a Stranoparts bar on order so hopefully that helps settle the rear a bit.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ended up ordering the custom double adjustables. Should be fun once I get them in a few weeks.

I didn't realize that Koni inserts were even available. I've been avoiding getting Koni rears because I didn't want to mess with only one end of the car. When you say you got custom double adjustables, do you mean custom shocks or custom inserts? I'm not sure what they offer.

·
Registered
766 Posts
propartsusa.com. they will have your double adjustable koni needs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I didn't realize that Koni inserts were even available. I've been avoiding getting Koni rears because I didn't want to mess with only one end of the car. When you say you got custom double adjustables, do you mean custom shocks or custom inserts? I'm not sure what they offer.
I love my Koni rears, highly recommended.

That said, I canceled my order for the fronts from ProPartsUSA because I had some other expenses come up and they didn't have an ETA on the build due to a back ordered part. I may re-order them in the fall so I can be ready for next season.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I love my Koni rears, highly recommended.

That said, I canceled my order for the fronts from ProPartsUSA because I had some other expenses come up and they didn't have an ETA on the build due to a back ordered part. I may re-order them in the fall so I can be ready for next season.

What's the part number for the Koni rears? Every site I go to filters out the Konis for 2014+ and I want to make sure I get the right ones when the time comes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What's the part number for the Koni rears? Every site I go to filters out the Konis for 2014+ and I want to make sure I get the right ones when the time comes.
They are the same as the 2013. Does require you drill out the mount (and cut the trunk liner).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ran 7 events last year on mostly stock car with Eagle F1 factory tires, and managed upper 1/3 in PAX and raw times. First event so far this year with setup listed below and I finished 3rd in PAX, and had 8th fastest raw time, with the second fastest Street Class time behind a BStreet C5 vette.

YR/Model: 2016 ST1
Wheels: 17x8 Enkei RPF1 in silver
Tires: Bridgestone RE-71R 255/40-17
Pressures: 35-37F 30-32R
Sway Bar: Rear Stranoparts (stiffest setting)
Sway Bar End Links: Massive adjustable
Shocks/Struts: Stock
Exhaust: Stock
Brake Pads: EBC YellowStuff
Brake Fluid: Pentosin DOT4 (Highest wet/dry boiling point fluid from AutoZone)
Oil: Mobil1 5W30 because CostCo
Air filter: K&N
Alignment: limits of OE camber up front, OE toe and camber in the rear

·
Registered
6 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but it does not seem like there are a lot of options for staying in street class vice going to street touring? I have gone to koni yellows on my last two cars, but why do people not want to run them on these cars?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but it does not seem like there are a lot of options for staying in street class vice going to street touring? I have gone to koni yellows on my last two cars, but why do people not want to run them on these cars?

People love the koni yellows, however ford changed the spring perch from after 2013...and koni only makes them for the 2013, so if you have a 14-18 you cant use them without getting a backdated set of 13 springs which isnt gs legal...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thinking about getting a face-lift ST2. How do you guys feel about your cars, particularly those use them as a DD on top of being their GS autocross car? Still love the ST or are you looking to get rid of it?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I enjoy mine and have put 30k miles on it since August 2017 and enjoy it for Autox quite a bit. I plan on keeping it for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thinking about getting a face-lift ST2. How do you guys feel about your cars, particularly those use them as a DD on top of being their GS autocross car? Still love the ST or are you looking to get rid of it?
We've had a pre-facelift ST2 for over six years as a DD and autocross car, and we still love it. It's the best and most fun all-around car I've ever owned (and that's ahead of a C6 Corvette I owned previously and the GT350 that currently shares a garage with the ST).

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've had my 2017 ST2 since end of April 18. It's been to about 12 autocross events since then, and I just tripped 10k miles this past weekend. So far it's been great, haven't had any issues with it, and I intend to keep it for at least the next year.

·
Registered
739 Posts
My 2018 ST1 is only used as a GS autocross car, but I travel to events (closest site is 90 minutes away and many are twice that distance for the events I regularly attend). Racked up 4000+ miles and 150 runs between Jul 15 and the end of Oct getting 27.5 mpg including the autox runs. The ST is an excellent highway cruiser; I would not want to use one as a commuter because of the amount of time rowing through the gears and lack of fuel economy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
We've had a pre-facelift ST2 for over six years as a DD and autocross car, and we still love it. It's the best and most fun all-around car I've ever owned (and that's ahead of a C6 Corvette I owned previously and the GT350 that currently shares a garage with the ST).
I love mine as an auto-x toy and DD. I have racked up over 30k miles since purchasing my ST3 in August '17. I travel between 90-120 miles for events and did (3) National Events last year. I average about 28mpg on the highway and about 25mpg with mixed driving. It holds all the gear I need and then some for events plus my wheels & tires so I can swap them.

·
Registered
739 Posts
About time I got around to posting now that I've got Pepper finally tamed at 8000 miles and 255 total runs in 9 months of ownership...

YR/Model: 2018 ST1
Wheels: 17x8 Enkei RPF1
Tires: Bridgestone RE-71R 255/40-17; Alternatively, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 245/40-18 when weather stays below 60F or Bridgestone RE780AS 235/40-17 in heavy rain
Pressures: 35-36F 32-35R
Sway Bar: Rear Suspension Techniques 2-position on soft
Sway Bar End Links: Whiteline adjustable from Strano
Shocks/Struts: Double adjustable Konis in front, Koni Yellows in rear. The stock shocks have waaay too much rebound damping all around and not enough compression damping in the front
Exhaust: Borla cat-back
Brake Pads: Hawk HPS after I smoked the stock brake pads during a 5-lap autox enduro! Only 10 heavy braking applications from 65 mph to 30-35 mph in 4 minutes 53 seconds... brake fade on the 10th application.
Brake Fluid: factory, soon swapping to AEM re-useable
Oil: Ford Motorcraft synthetic
Air filter: stock
Alignment Front: -0.9 deg camber (that's all I could get, sigh), 0.1 deg toe-out per side due to adding compression damping in front which makes the front react quicker. With stock shocks, I needed 0.2 deg toe-out per side to get the same quick turn-in.
Alignment Rear: -1.6 deg camber, 0.25 deg toe-in per side

Autocrossing in the Pacific Northwest's cool weather, I have had troubles fighting cold rear tires because the RE-71R compound needs to reach 75-80F before it starts working (measured with tire pyrometer). Easy enough to get the fronts to that temp, but you need some friction in the rear to get there on the first run, hence the rear toe-in. Rear toe-in also keeps the rear stable if it lets go unexpectedly and does not appear to hurt rotation; if she fails to rotate, I can always increase rear tire pressure. Experimenting with different tires, by aiming for compounds that are already working at the ambient temperature, allowed me to find combinations to attack the course on the first run rather than p***y-footing first runs with soft corner entry; it made me realize that balance is more important than ultimate grip for my preferred driving style, especially when you have only 3 runs to get it right.

So how much benefit are the Michelins? In the 105 runs I've logged since the beginning of the year, close to +2% at 50F ambient, +1% at 55F, and about even at 60F is what I've seen when comparing to the top local drivers as a group (as individuals, they & I each have a 1% variance that's too noisy for solid comparisons in the 3-8 runs per course we typically get). By 65F ambient, the Michelins are falling behind. The ultra high performance Bridgestone all-seasons are reserved for heavy rain as they wear too quickly if autocrossed in the dry and a narrow tire is chosen for cutting through deep water; Michelins could be chosen for this duty, but that 245 width I'm using is too wide and the tread is less deep, leading to brief hydroplaning when transitioning through deep puddles.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'm looking for the stranoparts rear swaybar for my focus as I see it on a lot of the guys cars. Did they stop making it? Am I looking in the right place?

Strano Performance Parts - Parts Search
Yes, he stopped making them. I believe he recommends the Whiteline bar at this time, but there are lots of options out there.

101 - 120 of 130 Posts