Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

There is a 2016 ST3 for sale by the original owner with 36k miles. For mods, the car has a Focus RS air box with a Ford Racing Tune/Calibration and a set of brand new tires with ~200 miles on them.

I know the used car market is a nightmare right now which is why I wanted to get an idea of what everyone thinks it is worth.

Thanks in advance!

Wheel Vehicle Tire Car Vehicle registration plate

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Based on going rates, I'd say 22k is fair. Seems high, but market demand is through the roof.

Depends on condition of vehicle too.
Sounds like the vehicle is in excellent condition, but I have yet to confirm that for myself, in person.

What would you say a non inflated, pre used car boom price would have been for a car like this? $18-19K?

·
Super Moderator
1,637 Posts
Sounds like the vehicle is in excellent condition, but I have yet to confirm that for myself, in person.

What would you say a non inflated, pre used car boom price would have been for a car like this? $18-19K?
Probably closer to 18k, I would assume. It has low mileage and outside appears it was taken care of.

·
Super Moderator
1,637 Posts
I would inquire how long the FRPP tune has been installed, and that he has the proper corresponding plugs installed.

Test drive and make sure it feels solid, no CELs or codes are present, and clutch engagement feels good. Also ask about any recalls he had serviced or completed.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would inquire how long the FRPP tune has been installed, and that he has the proper corresponding plugs installed.

Test drive and make sure it feels solid, no CELs or codes are present, and clutch engagement feels good. Also ask about any recalls he had serviced or completed.
FRPP tune has been installed for roughly 2000 miles and the kit from Ford includes the one step colder plugs.

Also says he's had all the recalls and TSB's performed. Would a dealership verify/release that info to me if I called them with a vin number?

·
Super Moderator
1,637 Posts
FRPP tune has been installed for roughly 2000 miles and the kit from Ford includes the one step colder plugs.

Also says he's had all the recalls and TSB's performed. Would a dealership verify/release that info to me if I called them with a vin number?
I would think they could pull that up. The FRPP tune should be with two-step colder Denso ITV24's.

·
Registered
2014 Focus ST
24 Posts
Paid $16500 for my bone stock 2014 ST2 with bald tires and 29500 miles in October 2018.

Recalls can be checked yourself if you have the VIN. Not really reason not to buy a car. Mine had 3 active recalls when I bought it.

TSB's are more for when someone has an issue with their car. If there is no issue there is no reason to do the TSB.

Here's another resource to see if anything has been reported to an insurance company regarding accidents and title status.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Anyone saying 18-19k is not up on the current market car values at this time. Pre- covid a year and a half ago yes but right now the used car market is at the peak and most car dealers are going to get top end value for a low mileage ST3 in good condition. I bought mine this year in March for 19650 and it was an St3 with 25k. Since then I’ve been watching the market and the same vehicle with similar options and mileage is between 22-23k or more retail.
A private seller might sell one for less closer to the 18-19
2 years ago the same vehicle was going for 16-18 retail
Trade value is about 18-19 on my vehicle because the market. Who knows when it will level off, most likely when the chip shortage is corrected which is most likely going to be spring or summer of 23’ which is my guess and vehicles are going to drop in value
The ST’s should gradually increase in value over time since they are not made here anymore but I doubt they will go any higher than they are now
If you’re not in a hurry wait a year and prices will come back to earth

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anyone saying 18-19k is not up on the current market car values at this time. Pre- covid a year and a half ago yes but right now the used car market is at the peak and most car dealers are going to get top end value for a low mileage ST3 in good condition. I bought mine this year in March for 19650 and it was an St3 with 25k. Since then I’ve been watching the market and the same vehicle with similar options and mileage is between 22-23k or more retail.
Trade value is about 18-19 on my vehicle because the market. Who knows when it will level off, most likely when the chip shortage is corrected which is most likely going to be spring or summer of 23’ which is my guess and vehicles are going to drop in value
The ST’s should gradually increase in value over time since they are not made here anymore but I doubt they will go any higher than they are now
The private seller has it listed for $21,000 but said he would take $20k even.. It's definitely more than I was anticipating on spending but I am trying to decide if its in the ballpark of being a reasonable deal with all things considered. I thought about waiting, but with these not being made anymore the mileage on them is only going to go up for the most part which would probably make a lower mile car worth that much more in comparison?

If the chip shortage is supposed to last until mid 2023, why do you anticipate prices coming back down to earth next year?

Thanks for all of the replies everyone! I appreciate your time!

·
Super Moderator
1,637 Posts
I don't think anyone said 18k or 19k. General consensus is 22k is a good value at the moment for listed setup.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Little update:

Owner got backed into in a parking lot today. Nothing major, but the rear bumper now has a small ding in it. People that commit a hit and run have a special place in hell. Even if I don't buy the car, I hope karma catches them.

Owner dropped the price to $19,500. I have some extra Oxford White touch up paint from my 2014 Mustang, I wouldn't be happy about it, but I think I could live with that little ding after I touched it up..

Automotive parking light Grille Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

·
Registered
16 ST, 93 oct, FRPP, RS ac K&N filter, Forge FMIC, Mountune Recirc, CNT cat, 3" pipe, Steeda RMM
179 Posts
Even at or near $20k, this deal is a steal. The average price for a new car is $37k. This is a whole lot of car for the money especially with the low miles.

When I bought my 2016 Oxford White ST over a year ago with 80k miles, I paid $13k, which was also a great deal in my opinion. I found the ST at the last minute, literally the day I was going to do final paperwork on a 2017 Toyota Prius for $17k. I'm so glad I found the Focus ST and bought that instead.

What else could be had in the same price range? Not much and especially nothing as cool, fun and practical. Cruze? Prius? Fiat 500? A high mileage Fusion?

I think that this is a good deal, in any market condition.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My bigger concern is sense it was tuned, how hard was it driven and what potential damage may have resulted. Do a thorough pre purchase inspection or have one done. Worth the $150 imho

1 - 15 of 15 Posts