Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 FoST 143,000kms.. So my car started making this whining sound recently. It sometimes goes away if I turn off all the HVAC controls. Ac on or off doesn't matter. Clutch in or out doesn't matter. At one point it was almost a low grinding sound and I had it towed to the dealership. They told me the car was fine and couldn't reproduce the sound. I drove it for 5 minutes and had the sound come up. It seems to be coming from the passenger side near the firewall.

Any ideas what this could be?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
a bad pulley i guess or AC clutch making noise.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
a bad pulley i guess
my wifes 08 escape and my sisters 10 fusion made a very similar noise. literally sounded like a roots blower all of the time (just not as extreme)

the escape did it since she bought it (35k miles) but it was very quiet. over the years it got louder and louder (over a very long time so it was hard to notice the increase) it went in to the dealer a couple of times and they kept saying that all was good. then during a trip from Michigan to Tennessee(105k miles), all of the sudden it went completely away and we were both like WTF just happened. then all of the dash lights came on like a Christmas tree. that's when we realized the main belt flew off (not to be found) so we quickly coasted off the first exit ramp and tried to do a repair. luckily there was a ford dealer right there, walked over and bough a new belt. while trying to put it back on I found that the bearing on the tensioner pulley had seized. so back to the dealer I walked and bought a new tensioner, threw it on (thank god I travel with a tool set) and then when we started the car back up, we were amazed at how quiet the motor was. so pretty much that bearing was on its way out for a very long time. I still cant believe how long it lasted. from everything I read online, people were saying that it was a problem with the alternator. and I was just waiting until it completely failed to replace it (which turns out was a good idea). my sisters car is still nowhere near as bad, and has not gotten any louder over the last 3 years but I'm expecting it to be much of the same.

·
Registered
163 Posts
sounds like probably a pulley bearing like he said. easy way to tell is take the belt off real quick, and spin each pulley by hand. the one thats making the noise will be obvious. itll probably spin slower, or make more noise than the rest of them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts