Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is this thing and what does it do? I believe it's part of the hot side charge pipe, is it some kind of a check valve or something?

IMG_3484.JPG

·
Registered
216 Posts
What is this thing and what does it do? I believe it's part of the hot side charge pipe, is it some kind of a check valve or something?

[iurl="http://www.focusst.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=298857&stc=1&d=1513646164"]
[/iurl]
It's like a resonator for sound. Doesn't do much else

Reactions: CaliJoe

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's like a resonator for sound. Doesn't do much else
Just a resonator to quieten induction noise from what I understand.
Ok cool, I was wondering about that because my son inlaw got a Veloster and one of the mods is a res delete and that's the res there deleting and supposedly it's supposed to give them like 8+ HP. I was searching and couldn't fine anything about that on our ST's so I figured I'd as here. Thanks!

I'm reading that aftermarket charge pipe don't really give us much of a performance gain unless you go BT??? And I don't think I see one of those on the aftermarket pipes.

I think the one on the Veloster is a little bit bigger and I think he said it has some kind of flap (check valve?) inside of it, so when they delete it they get much better flow through there.

Just wondering if there would be any kind of performance advantage for us too.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Ok cool, I was wondering about that because my son inlaw got a Veloster and one of the mods is a res delete and that's the res there deleting and supposedly it's supposed to give them like 8+ HP. I was searching and couldn't fine anything about that on our ST's so I figured I'd as here. Thanks!

I'm reading that aftermarket charge pipe don't really give us much of a performance gain unless you go BT??? And I don't think I see one of those on the aftermarket pipes.

I think the one on the Veloster is a little bit bigger and I think he said it has some kind of flap (check valve?) inside of it, so when they delete it they get much better flow through there.

This is not the same resonator that you are referring to. The resonator you are referring to is in the exhaust. I don't think removing this resonator will have much impact at all. When I changed my intercooler piping I didn't notice a performance difference.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
This is not the same resonator that you are referring to. The resonator you are referring to is in the exhaust. I don't think removing this resonator will have much impact at all. When I changed my intercooler piping I didn't notice a performance difference.
No, @CaliJoe is correct. Veloster owners have the ability to do a "intercooler resonator delete" (Should you wish to google it, look that up) and make a few HP/TQ as a result. Believe it or not, it's a real thing. Interesting little cars those Velosters are...

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
No, @CaliJoe is correct. Veloster owners have the ability to do a "intercooler resonator delete" (Should you wish to google it, look that up) and make a few HP/TQ as a result. Believe it or not, it's a real thing. Interesting little cars those Velosters are...
Yeah we did... much better results with a bigger better flowing pipe... only one good one for the VT out there

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts

First you will not get 8HP and there is no flap... i know i USED to own a heavily modded VT....

·
Registered
344 Posts
Wow that must be one hell of a restriction on the VT's. My bad didn't think it could make that much difference. Oh well I can tell you on stock turbo for ST it won't make much a difference. On BT it did make a noteable difference for me but that is because I am flowing a lot more air.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Wow that must be one hell of a restriction on the VT's. My bad didn't think it could make that much difference. Oh well I can tell you on stock turbo for ST it won't make much a difference. On BT it did make a noteable difference for me but that is because I am flowing a lot more air.
orly? I still got mine on gtx2867r

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There no ST but yeah they're cool little cars. I was hoping he was going to get an RS but after the little misshap with my ST he said F it and just got a Veloster lol.

·
Registered
344 Posts
It could be the pipe size increase as well, I am running bigger 2.5 inch I/C piping. On the same dyno, same day a different FoST with same 2867r as me and only differences between our cars is intercooler (I have 3.5 inch like depo he had process west) and I have custom 2.5in intercooler piping. Same fuel for both cars too and my car made 11kw more than his. That's around 15hp. It could be a multitude of things but this was consistent over 2 power runs so it's an assumption but I haven't validated the effect.

In other words I wouldn't bother upgrading the piping as my experience wasn't very scientific just a guess.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
It could be the pipe size increase as well, I am running bigger 2.5 inch I/C piping. On the same dyno, same day a different FoST with same 2867r as me and only differences between our cars is intercooler (I have 3.5 inch like depo he had process west) and I have custom 2.5in intercooler piping. Same fuel for both cars too and my car made 11kw more than his. That's around 15hp. It could be a multitude of things but this was consistent over 2 power runs so it's an assumption but I haven't validated the effect.

In other words I wouldn't bother upgrading the piping as my experience wasn't very scientific just a guess.
Yeah it's just due to pipe diameter not flowing enough air for the much bigger turbo, the sound resonator doesn't affect our cars like the VT. However upgrading the pipes makes for more sexy induction noise since it removes that little resonator...so that's exciting :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Yeah it's just due to pipe diameter not flowing enough air for the much bigger turbo, the sound resonator doesn't affect our cars like the VT. However upgrading the pipes makes for more sexy induction noise since it removes that little resonator...so that's exciting :cool:
Agree in the VT world there is xeonelement who makes a lot of custom VT parts and his hot pipe is sweet... makes a huge difference.

Reactions: brian60

·
Registered
613 Posts
I think I would like the noise aspect alone.... I could use some more turbo induction noises.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I think I would like the noise aspect alone.... I could use some more turbo induction noises.
Oh it made a huge sound difference for me. When you put the window down it sounds like a jet engine.

How did you end up going on the spool issue you had a while back. Did that get sorted?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Oh it made a huge sound difference for me. When you put the window down it sounds like a jet engine.

How did you end up going on the spool issue you had a while back. Did that get sorted?
Found a small exhaust leak pre turbo which helped a little but I think OEM catback is just restricting it too. 4th gear I prob hit 25psi by 3500 rpm. Not amazing but much more typical. Running well, around 320 whp at 24 25 psi on pump gas only. If I keep modding, charge pipes and catback is next.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts