Ford Focus ST Forum banner

What is it about Honda Civic drivers?

8K views 79 replies 32 participants last post by  Lordred 
#1 ·
Did I miss a memo or something about Honda Civic's? Are these factory race cars or something?

I'm in the left lane cruising on the highway pedestrian-like, they come screaming from the on-ramp and go from all the way in the right lane to up my a**!! Just to be up my a**!! Do Honda Civic owners manuals indicate that this is cool or something?

Cruising along on a two lane highway in high volume traffic, its only these guys who have to be nailing the throttle for 2 seconds only to have to brake to avoid a rear end collision.........until 3 car length's happen again and its nail the throttle for 2 seconds. Is this something these guys post up on a Civic community messageboard an hour later?

Chirping the tires in bumper to bumper traffic when in the lane next to me!! Is that considered a kill of an ST on community forums??

Jumping out of the left lane from behind me and jumping into the HOV lane and hitting the emergency flashers as he streaks off........whats that about?

Passing on the right of an off-ramp just to get to the traffic signal faster than me!!

Do these owners consider their cars race cars or something??

Am I just getting too old? Is this the new culture here? Is it you now take bows for winning no matter where you are as long as your headlights are in their rear view mirror?

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm in the left lane cruising on the highway pedestrian-like,
The only time you should be in the left lane cruising, is if you’re in Britain. Otherwise get out of the “fast” lane and let people around you.

Fast lane campers are a public nuisance that should have to go through remedial driver education IMO.

Sent from a galaxy far, far away...

#9 · (Edited)
LOL.......from the guy who lives in Oregon!! OK.........whatever you say s0n. What...........do you see a cop on the highway every 200 miles???!!

#6 ·
I have never noticed Honda drivers to be annoying.
True some have fartcan exhausts, and slammed so their buttocks graze the pavement..
But aside from the occasional buzz on by.. I do not notice them much.

As for cars rushing up from behind.. They are all sorts, old, new, big little..semi with trailer..

The one class which used to be a serious problem has stopped..
Semi rigs tailgating a few feet behind.. (And I am in the right lane). But in the recent few years this has vanished. Truck drivers seem to all be saints now.
I am certain it is due to all the smartphone footage of the bad ones being recorded doing the dangerous stuff, enough that they can no longer afford to do it.

I can remember my Father (this is back in the early 1960s) yelling at VW bug drivers for being so reckless anytime one passed him.

#27 ·
the "buzz on by" statement made me LOL. Probably not an ego-booster if you used that term to a Honda guy.

#7 ·
This thread did not go the direction the OP intended. :D Seems like his driving habits may be instigating road rage from impatient drivers around him, which happen to be Civic drivers. He just doesn't notice the other types of vehicles doing the same thing. ;)

I've got a Civic del Sol Si, and I actually drive that vehicle more conservatively than my ST.

#8 · (Edited)
Well I'm noticing that most replies are from people who have never even seen a 5 laneExpressway much less the Long Island Expressway on Long Island.......Bumfook, Oregon and Scratchmayassville, Ohio. Can you even go 55 on those highways out there? Maybe never even seen a Honda Civic? Ever even have your car over 100mph?? :)

I guess wrong messageboard to post up a rant..........where most people have driven the experiential equivalent of around the block a few times..........fAiL on my part. Thought Id be getting some feedback from people who have actually driven on highways at speed with high volumes of traffic.

#15 ·
Soccer moms in mini vans....usually on cell phone....tail gate me at 85 in the fast lane. I live in CA, we have 3-4 lane freeways here, so the rule of "fast lane lingering" really doesnt apply to us. But the farthest left lane IS for faster traffic, which CHP gives zero **** about, they will pull you over going 66 in a 65, they are that bad, then let you off with no speeding ticket but give you a fix-it ticket for your window tint and wasted about 30 minutes of your time and now money for having to remove your 285 dollar ceramic tint >_> #triggered

Also, could the OP please not bully the other posters? I understand it wasnt the response you wanted, but it isnt cause for ridiculing the other forum members. And yes, a lot of honda civic drivers think they are Michael Schumacher and drive up your ass, there is a term for this behavior: RICER. Not all honda owners are, as seen in above posts, we have 2 respectable gentlemen here who drive hondas. But most teenage, got it as their first car, idiots drive around like Dale Earnhardt JR. Ill be sitting at the stop light giving my car a little rev to 2k to hear the crackle of decel which will quickly be interrupted by an annoying bang off the rev limiter of the teenager in the civic next to me thinking he is the new star of tokyo drift.

#19 ·
Whether its two-lane or three-lane or more. The left most lane is for passing.

I see it all the time and I need to pass in the right lane because people clog up the left lane. Just don't go there if you don't like people on your ass. Some people don't want to wait and drive "cruising on the highway pedestrian-like".

Like others have said. Move over.

#25 ·
If everyone was willing to move right while not passing, maybe the USA could implement an Autobahn-type highway like Germany. Three simple rules...move right except for passing, never pass on the right, and don't speed in construction zones...I don't know which part is so difficult for people to understand.

#26 ·
I know which part is so difficult... "understand."

People read one thing and just do something else. There is no cooperation with people. Sucks that we have to have such strict and debated traffic laws here, and still have a much higher accident and casualty rate.

#30 ·
To add to this, there's another frustration; a slow semi passing a slower semi, and when the faster one finally gets ahead, he can't get back over because impatient four-wheelers (that's us) won't let him get back in the right lane. I hate it when drivers do that. Can ya just wait 10 freakin' seconds please, then we can all go by.

The best drivers are those who don't interfere with the flow of traffic.

#49 ·
This always drives me nuts too, like why the **** is this semi passing the other one if he is not willing to commit to actually speeding??

But then I remember most semi drivers literally do not have a choice, their vehicle is limited from travelling any faster. Meanwhile that poor semi driver just wants to get in front of a different dumbass semi driver, if he could pass the idiot faster he would. I try to keep this in mind anyways..., whether its always the truth or not.

#31 ·
I do feel for folks about the left lane.
here in Wisconsin the road from Milwaukee to Madison is full of left lane sleeping fools.
Folks who decide the speed they want to drive is good enough for 'everyone'
They can sit in hthe left lane and shadow the right speed. so no one can get past.
This can go on for many miles.
I confess to being gleeful watching someone pass THEM on the breakdown lane..

Some folks just love to clump. That is they will go exactly the same speed as the car NEXT to them.
I do not know if it is unconscious? but it happens all the time.
When someone who was going faster gets alongside, then starts to just pace next to me. Damn annoying.
But if OTHER cars in the far left lane are going faster. the pacer will suddenly 'wake up' and join them instead.
At these pacers in some hypnotic state?
Then the tailgaters.. Two types. folks who want YOU to go faster, and they will try to push you to do so.
And the folks who seem to think driving 5 ft back of my rear bumper is 'just right'.
They do not really want to pass, they just want to hang out in my back seat.
Men are usually the 'pushers', women the place holders.

#32 ·
I lived in the Seattle area with the same issues. Top it off with merging drivers that want to race to the front and honk and yell at you for not slowing down! Learn how to effing merge! Then after they merge, I assume they think the left lane is fast so it gets full and the right lane becomes faster. Then you have off-ramp line cutters. They are apparently the only ones in a hurry so the cut the median lines and almost run you over causing accidents daily. Then they drive slower than a blind sloth! I wish we had autobahn like laws and better mass transit. OP you came on here to rant on a touchey topic. Good luck with that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#33 ·
Lets not forget about this new obsession with people cruising in the right lane. AKA Entrance and exit only lane. It prevents people from entering the highway, and slows all highway lanes down when some asshole merges on at 40MPH. Drive in the center lanes unless passing or exiting.

#34 ·
This one varies by state big time. There are a lot of places in PA where the right lane that you're SUPPOSED to be cruising in suddenly becomes an exit only lane in 1/4 miles. And there are moments in nearby State College where you have the left lane which is becoming a merging lane for another neighboring freeway, the center lane which is the "left lane," then the right lane which is becoming an exit only lane up ahead. In this case, what you're describing is totally alright lol it's a mess. I just get into the left lane and speed to pass everyone so I'm not disrupting traffic being in the left lane, but I'm out of the mess.

#43 ·
Left lane campers, never heard them called that. Just ***holes lol

Something that gets me are the people who wait until the very last second to merge even though there has been 3 miles of warning to merge right or left because of construction. If everyone would just work together it would go so much smoother, jeez!

#60 ·
I'm a civil engineer who does mostly traffic work and the occasional structural project, it is actually better to use the entire length of the road before merging. If you try to force everyone to merge prior to the lane restriction, you are just moving the merge point further away and losing flow entity capacity. The problem in this scenario stems from people not merging civilly or jumping back and forth between lanes. I personally can't wait for self driving cars, it takes the biggest problem out of the equation.

#45 ·
I find driving in traffic is like taking part in a really big 'square dance'.. moving on down the road...
We all cooperate and treat each there with respect.

Way better attitude than thinking of it like a car race/competition.

There really IS no question every car has to cooperate with the rest of them.. Unless you just want to crash.

#46 ·
To answer the original question - the Civic complex is nothing new. Typically it's a snot nosed, sideways hat wearing, fart cannon roaring social butt nugget who is in a rush to prove his car is faster in heavy traffic than yours. A "win" is constituted any time said Civic owner declares he or she is racing, should you choose to be involved or not. Civic owners never lose, as any time a faster vehicle starts to pull on them, they will choose to disengage and have a rational excuse as to why they did so, making sure you understand you didn't actually win. Throwing on the flashers is a sign of dominance, as they know it WILL minorly irritate a rational driver of any other vehicle that could be minutely categorized as a performance vehicle. Therefore, they have gained control over you.

Serious note - come drive in South Florida. Miami/Fort Lauderdale traffic will make you want to stop driving and/or induce a panic attack. There's a reason our insurance rates are some of the highest in the nation.

#47 ·
My sentiments exactly. Funny though.......on the way home from work on Friday, I was driving my 2000 Grand Marquis and got right behind an orange 2016 Civic Si who could not be driving any more safely and pedestrian-like.

Reactions: 208focusST
#50 ·
The only thing i'm getting out of this thread is how everyone's driving is more important than the other people on the road...

It's never gonna be 'fair'

There's always gonna be somebody in someones way...

Some idiot is gonna cut everyone off to make their exit with no blinker, crossing 5 lanes because they had their nose in their phone not paying attention...

Nothing is gonna change && it's just gonna get worse....

Blame civic drivers...or mustang drivers....bikers....semi trucks....tourists....the guy that's lost....the person having car trouble all of a sudden and can't get out of the way fast enough because everyone wants to just get around and go...blame the funeral procession...while we're at it let's blame the person that just left the hospital after losing a loved one and for some reason thought they were ok to drive home...

Surely there's someone else we can blame....

Maybe we can just be the bigger person && not blame anyone...?

#65 ·
The salt trucks, rock haulers, and other trucks of that kind are flat out wreckless from my experience. I stay away from those guys like the plague.

#66 ·
The real 'problem' of merging is the failure to have reasonable space from the car in front of each person.
If 'most' folks actually left a couple of car lengths.. merging would be easy.
The problem is nearly no one leaves more than a single car length. so there is just no room. Period.
70 mph.. single car length.. (Tap the brakes. give someone a **** in their pants moment.)
Gawd I HATE tailgaters.

#67 ·
I too hate tailgaters, but brake checking is illegal for a reason. Brake checking someone and causing an accident on camera makes YOU at fault...don't do it :rolleyes: Just let the a$$hole go by and go on with your day

Edit: What I will do myself though if they're an a$$ and I don't just downshift and leave them way behind...is I'll slow WAY down so they HAVE to go around me, then the normal single finger salute and wave does the trick.

#69 ·
#77 ·
I would think self driving LANES would be the start of roads built for self driving cars.
On both coasts with huge wide freeways.. Some lanes will be designated self driving cars only.

Then the issues..
Say a self driving car and an idiot ..The idiot KNOWS the self driving car will move out of the way, so the idiot just goes. Same thing on city streets,
If you know the other car is self driving, you can cut it off.
I think this is going to be HUGE problem when the car mix of self driving reaches more than a small percentage. For the self driving car passengers.

#79 ·
I've seen just about every dbag move when it comes to bad/aggressive drivers. Doesn't bother me much anymore. Thank goodness I keep cameras rolling, though. Every now and then when some idiot shows himself I save that video clip into a folder. I'm starting to get a nice collection. I've even got a buzzard crashing through the stainless steel whips I had on my truck's roof. That had to hurt.

When my wife rides with me, she gets riled up when someone does something stupid. I don't even flinch anymore. Now, when the roles are reversed and she's driving, I've had to tell her that it doesn't matter anymore that she's female. She can't be waving her arms around or shouting stuff at people. Once, some dude pulled out in front of us, she started honking and yelling at the guy. He started to turn around and I thought I was going to have to deal with him. I don't like being put in that kind of situation.

#80 ·
I'm a right lane camper, anything left of the right lane is only to pass some one slower than I.

I just do not understand how anyone could see it working any differently. If I see merging traffic, I get into the next lane to make room, and if necessary I speed up to not block the lane up till I can get into the right lane again.

This is how I religiously get over 30mpg in my ST (and my Crown Vic......)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.