Ford Focus ST Forum banner

what is going on? frpp tune 25lbs of boost makes car jump and clank now

4K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  DeadlyBreakdown 
#1 ·
I just installed frpp tune, I already had a filter and turbosmart bov, the boost pegs out the gauge now, but when I spool up and let off throttle ( especially in 6th and 5th) the car jolts and makes a clank. I also took off my motor mount at same time to change but found it had already been upgraded and put all of it back as it was. I have an e focus mount in there.. I sent the other mount I ordered back. Anyway why does it load up and jolt so hard now? Bov not letting the increased boost out as fast? (Bov need adjusting when increasing boost from 22 to 25?) Please comment. My strut mount are also showing wear bought two new ones to put on later but it wasnt making this jolt clank noise before it was spiking boost to 25lbs withnew tune, also rmm disassembly and reassembly. Cv axels also feel decent but I can move both from side to side and make a metal onmetal clank noise but...I doubt its it. The car obviously makes more power now, makes sense that the increased torque is harder on drivetrain but loading and releasing boost pressure in high gearat lower rpms is how I enjoy passing people. When I am in 6th at 50mpg, floor it until boost spools then let off quick it jumps, clunks, and jolts. Wtf

#3 ·
Yeah, if you wanna go fast, downshift to 4th then punch it, otherwise you lug the **** out of your engine trying that in 5th or 6th.

#7 · (Edited)
#8 ·
6th at 50mph you're below 2k if I remember right... yeah you're lugging the car hella bad. I always stay out of boost in 5th and 6th unless I've been in boost since 4th.

#9 ·
but loading and releasing boost pressure in high gearat lower rpms is how I enjoy passing people. When I am in 6th at 50mpg, floor it until boost spools then let off quick it jumps, clunks, and jolts. Wtf

#10 ·
Like someone above said, 5th gear, doing 58-60mph is around 2800-3000 rpm. 6th at 50mph your like at 2k rpm or below. It's just not a smart move. I usually drive at around 2700-3000rpm except in 1st/2nd that way even if I need to accelerate(not WOT) in 5th it's not lugging the engine.
To me high gear low rpm in these cars just feels unnatural. Driving around town in 4th or 5th is crazy to me at low speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Yeah even shifting into 6th at above 130mph I don't like giving it the beans lol I would never do that sh!t at 50mph.

In 5th gear I will sometimes give it to her good above 80mph when shifting to 4th isn't really possible...but again...that's 80mph...

#14 ·
You can definitely get away with 5th at 80-85 since you're a bit over 3500, but it still scares me really.

Reactions: brian60
#13 ·
Oh man.. Do NOT go into boost in 6th. There's no need for it. 5th is almost the same.
This has been proven time and time and time again to blow these cars up. If you didn't know, it's all good but now you do. NEVER go WOT in 6th or 5th unless you're going fast enough (and i'm willing to bet you're not lol).

#16 ·
Sorry for the triple post here, but lets talk about LSPI and an OCC. Does anyone think an OCC can actually assist with prevention to LSPI? I've heard mixed things after doing quite a bit of research. Some swear by them, some guys with impressive credentials say they don't do a damn thing.

#20 ·
Thank you for being nice and no jumping to conclusions. I took the rmm apart and retorqed it, reinstalled the tune and it is much better. Sounds like it was the rmm, the sound was not there before... the 951 I have with a gt35r and close to same boost pressure seems a lot smoother when letting off still in any gear. I was able to go out and pay attention to my rpms a little bit better while driving to town and back, im creeping at 1/4 throttle in 6th up to 80 then stomping it and letting out. I should have known this would go from me asking for help with a tune or bad rmm install to me defending my daily driving habits. Im in the band of power ford racing advertised...

#21 ·
Being in the power band, and driving with a mechanical disadvantage are two different things.

Long story short, as everyone else has said, do your best to avoid WOT under 3k rpm, and do your best to avoid it in 6th gear. (4th is a fantastic passing gear on the freeway)

#22 ·
We just don't want you to blow your car up man. If you think you're in the power band WOT at low RPM's then so be it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.