1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw this article posted a week ago:

Ford reveals ST-Line Fiesta, Focus and Mondeo at Goodwood | Auto Express

The "ST-Line".

"Ford has unveiled new sport-themed editions of its Fiesta, Focus, and Mondeo at the 2016 Goodwood Festival of Speed. Named ST-Line, they feature styling add-ons designed to echo the look of the full-house ST hot hatchbacks but in cars with more modest performance and better fuel efficiency."

Basically the ST-Lite.

I don't know about you, but I hope this isn't something that crosses the pond.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
There are many options that are available in Europe that I wish we could get over here, this would not be one of those things.

·
Registered
246 Posts
This sounds like Audi's S-Line or BMW's M-Sport packages; aesthetic upgrades for the "normal" car. I think even S-Line and M-Sport will give you a bit better suspension options, so this likely presents an even smaller value for money.

·
Registered
360 Posts
This sounds like Audi's S-Line or BMW's M-Sport packages; aesthetic upgrades for the "normal" car. I think even S-Line and M-Sport will give you a bit better suspension options, so this likely presents an even smaller value for money.
Actually after a quick read, it appears that you are also getting the suspension upgrades as well, see here:

"All three cars get sports suspension, a different design of alloy wheels and a subtle bodykit on the outside, plus a sports steering wheel, sports seats and alloy pedals in the cabin. The exterior styling mods include a rear diffuser and a lip spoiler, dark surrounds for the front foglights and a honeycomb design for the front grille."

So this seems almost like something I could see them doing here, I talk to plenty of people who really like the Focus ST but feel like its too much car for them and would rather an ST-Lite version.

I dont see anything wrong with this, could help expand and get more interest in the cars as more people buy sports models and want mods for them. After all, there is a good chunk of people (myself even included at one point) who stray away from the ST because it is manual only. I think thats great, but back when I got my VT i would have gotten an ST-Lite automatic instead if such a thing existed. Glad it didnt, but just throwing out a case where someone would do that.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Actually after a quick read, it appears that you are also getting the suspension upgrades as well, see here:

"All three cars get sports suspension, a different design of alloy wheels and a subtle bodykit on the outside, plus a sports steering wheel, sports seats and alloy pedals in the cabin. The exterior styling mods include a rear diffuser and a lip spoiler, dark surrounds for the front foglights and a honeycomb design for the front grille."

So this seems almost like something I could see them doing here, I talk to plenty of people who really like the Focus ST but feel like its too much car for them and would rather an ST-Lite version.

I dont see anything wrong with this, could help expand and get more interest in the cars as more people buy sports models and want mods for them. After all, there is a good chunk of people (myself even included at one point) who stray away from the ST because it is manual only. I think thats great, but back when I got my VT i would have gotten an ST-Lite automatic instead if such a thing existed. Glad it didnt, but just throwing out a case where someone would do that.
I don't disagree with your overall sentiment, but I'm definitely not in that camp. I don't see the need for this package.

I've never been a fan of aesthetic upgrades that try to bridge the gulf between the "normal" car and the "sport" version. When I bought my A4, I had the option of adding S-Line, and I declined it. If I wanted a car that looked like the S4, I would have saved up more money and bought the S4. I would have also gotten a supercharged V6 to go with my more aggressive grille and nicer wheels. The sport model should be what gets the "looks" package, because it has the performance to back it up.

I've driven my wife's '14 Focus SE, and even with the sport suspension, I can't see it being a lite version of the ST. As for the option of an automatic ST, I don't think this car needs it. This is a car that fills a niche, and I would prefer it stay there. I'm too tall to comfortably drive a MX-5, but I wouldn't want them to build a bigger one. That's not the spirit of the car.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Remember what they were saying a couple months ago about a new ST being seen at the Nurburgring. What if that was simply a prototype of the ST-Line.

Or even scarier, what if Ford decides to kill the ST for the ST-Line. I can't think that would happen since the RS is going to be pretty limited in distribution, (if any indication of past RS numbers were).

I just hope Ford is abandoning the ST and planning to offer the ST "lite" as the middle child between the standard focus and the full on RS.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Honestly, I just hope they push both the ST and RS even further for the next generation, and these "ST-Line" options dont make a big difference to me. But I would honestly, more than anything, love to see an Escape ST or something of that nature. Sounds crazy, I know, but I would love to be able to convince my wife to put herself in a more fun and exciting car than her blahblahblahnissan blahblahrogueblahblahblah

·
Registered
246 Posts
I don't disagree with your overall sentiment, but I'm definitely not in that camp. I don't see the need for this package.
Whose need? I suggest that the need is only that of Ford's. If Ford believes they can sell a sufficient number of this trim line to improve their bottom line, then they "need" to do this.

Speaking only for myself, this trim would appeal to me under certain circumstances. For example, I don't drive my ST in the winter, preferring instead to keep it out of the salt and (especially) the brine so commonly applied to our roads at the mere suggestion of icing conditions. My current winter car is my 2003 ZX5, but if I were in the market for a new "second" car, a Focus like this would appeal to me: probably only slightly more expensive than a regular Focus, but with a sportier suspension. The Focus chassis is excellent. I have rented and driven a regular Focus and while I enjoyed it, I would enjoy it more if it had a better tendency to carve corners, which is (IMO) the most endearing trait of the ST.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I don't see what the problem is. Ford is trying to generate interest in their cars until the new models are online. VW has done this for years.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't see what the problem is. Ford is trying to generate interest in their cars until the new models are online. VW has done this for years.
If they keep the current Focus ST production in tact, I don't see an issue, but if they replace the current ST for this ST-Line because they can do it cheaper and sell more units, then I'd be concerned. Either way you look at it, the Focus line of automobiles is getting pretty crowded.

I'm just hoping the ST badge doesn't become simply a car that has sporty looks without matching performance.

But seeing that BMW has gotten M-Line and still kept the M3's and M4's as designed then I guess Ford is just following tradition in Europe.

·
Registered
296 Posts
If they keep the current Focus ST production in tact, I don't see an issue, but if they replace the current ST for this ST-Line because they can do it cheaper and sell more units, then I'd be concerned. Either way you look at it, the Focus line of automobiles is getting pretty crowded.

I'm just hoping the ST badge doesn't become simply a car that has sporty looks without matching performance.

But seeing that BMW has gotten M-Line and still kept the M3's and M4's as designed then I guess Ford is just following tradition in Europe.
I think the key here is this is happening in Europe where gasoline is way more expensive than it is here.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I'd be in for the wagon ST

·
Registered
63 Posts
i understand Ford to do it. if there is interest to sell, why not.
but i don't understand someone to buy it. why to have ST badge if there is no ST performance under the hood to back up that badge.

speaking of gas prices in Europe. they have also a diesel version in EU. but its still a very very rare care here.
in opposite there are tons of GTI's and seat, skodas, that cost more with less power.
strange world i would say.

but i am glad ford did an ST, and i enjoy it every day :)

·
Registered
554 Posts
The current top trim non ST Focus (so a Titanium) already look pretty good from the front. Harder to pick them out from '15+ ST's.

Since the Focus nameplate is moving upstream and becoming more upscale they may as well save it for the big Focus redesign. Civics are getting bigger, and now so are the Focus from the looks of things.

The 2.7tt Fusion isn't even getting any special treatment and that thing could easily have been an ST. Thing will smoke all the turbo 4 compacts. Speed6 spiritual successor me thinks for sure.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts