Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the FRPP tune installed Thursday. Hit it hard that night. And I think it would be a great tune for a rear wheel drive vehicle, especially for drag racing. But that not what we have, it just burns tires. 1st almost ZERO traction, 2nd breaks until about 4600 rpm, 3rd spins until 3k when it catches. Its almost useless. The stock tune was more fun because the vehicle caught and pushed once you got past 1st gear. So you high Tq guys... what do yall do to make that kind of power usable to any degree?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'd hate to think theres nothing i can do and just dump the tune =/... and i mean for every day spirited driving, I know i can put slicks but that is not practical and dangerous for street driving

·
Registered
2,190 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you gotten a RMM yet?
Have you gotten better tires yet?
Have you tried not using the throttle as an on/off switch?
#1- In front of me as I write this (Cobb). #2 - No running eagle ones summers that came with car. #3- no, i learned that QUICK! (most dynos on this tune are hitting 235-240 Whp with about 315-320 wtq ON THIS TUNE.. Im running GOOD 93.) Even in 2nd gear about 25 mph a 50 % throttle input...SSPPIINNN...its almost useless. So tires will help. What do you higher tuned guys run? what suspensions mod?

·
Registered
462 Posts
I am untuned so I cannot comment on tuned cars, but I can say that stock, on the Pirelli P-Zeros I have no issue keeping the wheels from spinning. It sounds like you are mashing on the go pedal, try a roll on (2 Mississippi) in second, I'll bet you get much less wheel spin. Its not about how much torque you have, but how quickly you apply it.

Weight shifts to the back on acceleration, so the act of accelerating unloads our go wheels. Just tap it in happy, tap tap tap-a-ruu.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Definitely RMM. But from what I've read the best mod by far is the Quife LSD, recommended before you do anything else.
Other than the RMM, you can also to the 2 other mounts (Turbo Tech has good ones).

·
Registered
738 Posts
Too much power for fwd.....Neon SRT guys found that out many years ago. Car sucks from a dig......that's all there is too it. Those Pirelli r-compound tires may help marginally but at $320 a pop?
Meh.....for the $ though and with an E tune, pretty damn good from a 3rd gear roll.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Stiffer springs will help keep the front end down especially with stiffer rear springs. Some tuners provide launch control options in your tune. Practice launching 3/4 pedal around 2k rpms. Upgrade the uhp tires to max or extreme summer performance tires.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Seems like an adjustment for the loose nut behind the wheel. OP thread is similar to what I read on here from members talking about how they always start off in 2nd cause 1st just spins wheels. Maybe Im old and/or not a digital driver, but I seem to get traction in 1st gear just fine.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
...and make sure your struts aren't worn.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Just reiterating what has already been said. RMM, Tires (I run 245s on my car), and ease the throttle. I can usually manage the wheel spin in my Stage 3 ST just fine. Also make sure you are running the COBB Traction Control, that helps quite a bit.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
The stock F1s are fine if you can modulate throttle correctly (as about 6 others have said) you have to control the spin with your right foot, so take some weight off of it and practice it a little. The better tires will certainly allow you to add a little more to that weight on your right foot, but you'll spin even with warm racing slicks if you just bury the pedal and dump it. It's a hard car to launch, eating your tires off doing it incorrectly will make it harder and harder.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I'm running just a 93-octane Stratified tune and got the Stratified TC with it. I am not having that much trouble. Some spin in first but then the TC kicks in, and just a bit in second and the TC keeps it from getting bad. I have an eFocus RMM. Tried the Boomba RMM and a turbotech UMM at different configs but the NVH drove me nuts. I am also running Michelin AS3 tires which have a little less acceleration traction than the F1's or super sports.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I recommend a better accelerator pedal application module.

Reactions: WALLtech
1 - 20 of 33 Posts