Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I'd create a thread that's the opposite of the dislike thread because, after all, we did purchase the car to drive and have some fun in it.

1. I can put a LOT of stuff in this thing .. on a trip to Lowe's I got a 3 cubic foot bag of peat moss and 10 1.5 cubic foot bags of lawn soil in it, and still had a bunch of room.
2. It gets 30+ mpg if I do my part and keep my foot out of it.
3. If I don't keep my foot out of it, it rewards me with a lot of smiles from how the car handles and accelerates.
4. It's a great commuter car as well as a great road trip car. The seats are comfortable, it can haul a lot of luggage and stuff, and it's the first vehicle I've owned in the last 30 years that didn't hurt my back after 12+ hours in it.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
3,957 Posts
1.The fun-factor

2.The recaros actually ease pressure off my lower back and feel good for my 35 mile commute

3.The fun-factor

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,847 Posts
It keeps me busy... 😁

·
Registered
641 Posts
The maintainability of this car. As an example, not having to use a variety of extensions, swivel joints and sockets to change spark plugs like I did with my Subie.
The aftermarket is great (for now) for this car. Got a shortcoming in the car you want addressed? there's a part for that.
The engine responds well to tunes and mods.
The Recaros are super comfy and I'm a bigger guy. It's like I get a hug from the car every time I jump in the seat.
The smile on my face when I punch the throttle.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
How many 155 mph cars were available new at the ST1 price?
Storage capacity for traveling to autox events: 4 tires, floor jack, folding bicycle, cooler, 2 bins, toolkit, cordless inflator, cordless impact wrench, luggage for 2 people and still have room for the passenger.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
How many 155 mph cars were available new at the ST1 price?
Storage capacity for traveling to autox events: 4 tires, floor jack, folding bicycle, cooler, 2 bins, toolkit, cordless inflator, cordless impact wrench, luggage for 2 people and still have room for the passenger.
I was going to post something similar. It's not perfect- but for the money (when new)- it's a difficult package to beat.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was going to post something similar. It's not perfect- but for the money (when new)- it's a difficult package to beat.
And for a year or so between late 2018 and late 2019 you could sometimes get a really good deal on a used one. I paid 17,300 before taxes for my 2018 st1 in May of 2019 when it had around 7k on the clock.

Reactions: gemery

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
Omg, where to start. My LOVE list with this car DWARFS my annoying little things list.

I guess I'll do top 5

Fun factor for the price:
(I'm often surprised how cheap these were brand new from the factory)

Gas mileage when I'm being nice:
As mentioned above, I can get 30+ mlg when I'm being nice.

The WTF factor... (Normal person:
Bright yellow car with stripes, pretty! Says ford focus, meh...WTF is that whistle and who let a turkey loose. How is it faster than my luxury car that I paid 80k$ for?? ☹ )

How much room is in such a small car:

Literally can fit a 70" TV, a whole ass washing machine in the box, a full set of wheels and tires. Camping gear for a week for 4 large guys and 4 large guys.

Ease of maintenance and reliability:
Basic fluid changes, brake pads.
Only thing I've had break in 89k miles is my turbo wastegate actuator shaft is worn. That's an easy ish fix.

I'll throw in a +1 on that last point, ease of mods. Every mod I've done to this car has been relatively easy with the exception of some downpipe bolts being seized in.

I can think of so many more things but I think this is my top 5.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
3,957 Posts
[/QUOTE]

WTF is that whistle and who let a turkey loose.
All i imagined was an actual turkey sound every time you shift, and that would be pretty funny.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Theres like 3 or 4 threads of pros or cons already, just sayin'

This forum is 9 years old after all. Lol
No need to be a party pooper. Some of us haven't been around for 9 years on the forums. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Theguynamedguy

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No need to be a party pooper. Some of us haven't been around for 9 years on the forums. ;)
Just figured with the "this is what I hate" thread getting so much attention we should have a thread near the top of the pile that says the opposite. I did a quick search and nothing came up with the terms I used, so I figured I'd start one.

·
Registered
2015 Focus ST
134 Posts
Its pretty comfortable for being an economy based car. although the recaros aren't the best around the 8-9 hour mark of driving.
The interior feels halfway nice. Probably the nicest I've had but that isn't hard to do.
I bought it christmas 2019 with 25-26k miles, and it has 58k now and all I've had to do was oil changes and tires. brakes are next for suuuurrreeee.
It's not fast at all, its just peppy which keeps me out of trouble.
If I try I can get 30-32mpg on trips and still speed.
Shifter feel is really nice, but I can only compare it to the F35 transmissions I had in my SS balts
Hill start assist has me spoiled too.
It looks good for modern economy car.

I'll add tho... I HATE how undersized the stock turbo is. Even GM put a proper size turbo on a cobalt. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reactions: TurboGT
1 - 20 of 43 Posts