Ford Focus ST Forum banner
33781 - 33800 of 33863 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,731 Posts
It’s always felt tight when removing and installing the cap. Maybe the neck of the reservoir is deformed. Might be worth replacing both the reservoir and cap.
They are all tight and take some effort to remove. I put a very small amount of silicon grease on the o ring last time I had it out when I did my turbo swap.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Replaced the battery and figured that I’d top off the coolant while I was in there. Well…. the coolant reservoir cap broke! I tried to get the stuck part out with some needle nose pliers jaws turning against the ribs, but the ribs just snapped off. The stuck part hasn’t budged a bit. Anyone had this wonderful experience before?

Just saw a post like this on the RS forum recently, what a dumb design.

·
Registered
2013 Focus ST; Tangerine Scream
15 Posts
I was just trying to pry around the circumference with a couple of screwdrivers. It’ll give a bit but return to where it was.

I did find a video where they basically dissected what was left in the neck and rigged up a puller to get the outer ring with the o-ring out. Apparently it is about 4-5 pieces.
This happened earlier this year on our 2017 Focus SEL. I used needle nosed pliers to get the part to at least turn a bit, the used screwdrivers prying between the tank and the stuck piece. Eventually worked it's way out. Tight fit. The aftermarket replacement not nearly as tight but no problems.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
It’s always felt tight when removing and installing the cap. Maybe the neck of the reservoir is deformed. Might be worth replacing both the reservoir and cap.
Yeah, mine is the same way. Have you tried drilling a hole into the stuck part?

Edit: The screw should work. A pair of screws set some distance apart would give you something to lever against.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I tried wiggling it out with pliers and ultimately just succeeded in gutting it like I saw in the YouTube video. That left me with some slots around the outside that I could use to pry on.

They broke….

I tried grabbing the edges with needle nose pliers and working it out, but had visions of punching myself in the face if something slipped.

It’s in there tight! It hasn’t budged one bit from its happy home. Seriously, not one mm.

Ultimately said screw it and ordered a new tank and cap from Rock Auto for $44. Unless FedEx hoses me, I should have it on Monday.

I will definitely lube the gasket on the new one with some silicone grease as suggested above.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Believe it or not, it’s out for delivery today.

Whether or not it actually arrives at my house today is another question.
Well, ho-lee crap - FedEx just dropped off a package according to my cameras. Not sure why he stuck it in the storm door, though. It don’t fit…

·
Registered
2017 ST atp 2867, cp-e fmic ,invidia hi-flow downpipe, awe track , steeda Cai. Tuned by edge
217 Posts
Final tune from Edge Autosport on my BT install. My gosh, this is not the same car I started with!!! Frankly, not sure I'd want any more power than this. Working with Alan was great!
What turbo I am atp 2867 tuned by Alan as well

33781 - 33800 of 33863 Posts