Ford Focus ST Forum banner
30441 - 30460 of 30753 Posts

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Took my car out for the longest drive in it I've done in awhile and watched it hit 20k. When I got where I was going bout 100 miles away I test drove a new full size Bronco. If it wasn't a mule I would have traded in the st for it.

·
Registered
979 Posts
That's a beast set up @turboMo ! Get the Dyno done yet? Looks very nice 👍

I got around to check the plugs and do a compression test while everyone else was napping during the afternoon (yesterday). Getting too much build up on the plugs: NFK Ruthenium's held gap @ .027" fine, but adjusted to .026" with the Monster Tuned Adapt X now installed.
Compression was 158, 160, 158, & 155 (cyl 1-4 respectively). Doesn't seem horrible. Tester I used:

Almost exactly 2,000 miles on the plugs... Not great.

All looked about the same.

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST 2
10 Posts

I got around to check the plugs and do a compression test while everyone else was napping during the afternoon (yesterday). Getting too much build up on the plugs: NFK Ruthenium's held gap @ .027" fine, but adjusted to .026" with the Monster Tuned Adapt X now installed.
Compression was 158, 160, 158, & 155 (cyl 1-4 respectively). Doesn't seem horrible. Tester I used:
View attachment 394605

View attachment 394606
Thank you 🙏🏽 I have not dyno tested it yet but I’m very curious about my power figures. It’d be good content for the YouTube too!
Unless you’re experiencing engine issues that build up doesn’t look too concerning to me tbh. I think it’s just a normal characteristic of these filthy engines.

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, Turbosmart BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings,PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
1,621 Posts

View attachment 394605

View attachment 394606
I have that exact tester, think branded different. Hasn't changed in 30 years, just the paper insert in the package 👍🙂

I hope my compression is that good when I get around to testing it next time I change plugs.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Just beat the piss out of it and feed it Amsoil, LOL.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Killed some tires this weekend.
You're only to the wear bars, so those aren't dead yet. Flip them on the rims and you'll get more life out of them.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Also three years old and heat cycled out.
LOL. Yeah, 3-yr old RE-71Rs are going to have dead grip compared to fresh tires. I just replaced my 2-yr old 140-run RE-71Rs with a set of V730s.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
1,443 Posts
Last night I switched from the stock boost solenoid location for BPV actuation to a MAP tap. I'm supposed to get the 2.25" T-pipe with the Tial mount that'll go into the stock's soft section of pipe tomorrow or Wednesday, and I didn't want to introduce more than 1 potential boost leak location at a time if I could help it. Once that shows up I'll cut the soft pipe, get the T mount in there, hook up the Tial BOV and vacuum line to it, install the BPV block off plate, and see what happens. :)

ETA:. Got a louder horn for the car that needs to be wired up, so I think I'll be taking the bumper off to get that accomplished. This Saturday or Sunday after church will be a busy time on the car, I think.

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
Spent a couple of hours yesterday afternoon installing some 80-mil KilMat sound deadener in the spare tire well/hatch area, as well as the sheet metal under the back seat. Hopefully this will deaden my exhaust noise a bit. As I get older, it gets louder for some reason. A bit of an asphalt-smell, but hopefully it will dissipate after a couple of days.

·
Administrator
12,710 Posts
Spent a couple of hours yesterday afternoon installing some 80-mil KilMat sound deadener in the spare tire well/hatch area, as well as the sheet metal under the back seat. Hopefully this will deaden my exhaust noise a bit. As I get older, it gets louder for some reason. A bit of an asphalt-smell, but hopefully it will dissipate after a couple of days.
Took the edge off it, for me. I did whole trunk, under rear seats, and up the rear wheel wells.

Reactions: Coolpool

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
That's what I'm hoping for. If it's still too much for my old ears, I might have to replace the Magnaflow CBE this Winter, maybe with a Mountune setup. But it's worth a try for $60 on the 'zon.

Reactions: Duece McCracken

·
Registered
709 Posts
That's what I'm hoping for. If it's still too much for my old ears, I might have to replace the Magnaflow CBE this Winter, maybe with a Mountune setup. But it's worth a try for $60 on the 'zon.
Knocked 6 Db off my interior noise at 110 kph when I did mine. Mind you I haven't done the sheet metal under the rear seat yet so it may knock it down a titch more. It definitely helps.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
1,443 Posts
Installed a WAY louder horn than the stock one, and that was a total pain in the butt. Couldn't mount it where the stock one was located because it was just too big, so moved it over a bit and put a bolt through the plastic to hold it on. Fender washers to spread out the load lock washer on each end, and a nylon lock nut on the end just in case.

Forgot to take a pic of the top of the bolt after I had to take a bit of it off with a cut-off wheel... It was contacting the headlight a smidge when I tried to reinstall it.

ETA: Had to take the bumper back off last night to adjust the height of the horn. The bottom of the horn's exit was hitting against a wire on the inside of the bumper, so in order to keep it from rubbing through it I drilled another hole in the mounting bracket about an inch higher (center to center with the old hole). Since it's higher up, it's now not rubbing at all on the wire. However, it does still BARELY contact the inside of the bumper, but I think it'll be fine. At least it can't move around.

I also added some loctite to the mounting bolt on the other side of the horn where the bracket connects to it. Finally cleaned up the wiring a bit with some zip ties and utilized some of the "holds" on that tank behind it that are made for tubing/wires, too.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Installed a WAY louder horn than the stock one, and that was a total pain in the butt. Couldn't mount it where the stock one was located because it was just too big, so moved it over a bit and put a bolt through the plastic to hold it on. Fender washers to spread out the load lock washer on each end, and a nylon lock nut on the end just in case.

Forgot to take a pic of the top of the bolt after I had to take a bit of it off with a cut-off wheel... It was contacting the headlight a smidge when I tried to reinstall it.
Yeah, stock horns are a joke! Would you mind linking what you installed? That looks pretty powerful 😅
I actually had a couple speakers and a microcontroller in mind to just talk **** from a pre-recorded message, really loud, LOL. That's on the back burner along with an LED message board for the rear side windows, lol.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
1,443 Posts
Yeah, stock horns are a joke! Would you mind linking what you installed? That looks pretty powerful 😅
I actually had a couple speakers and a microcontroller in mind to just talk **** from a pre-recorded message, really loud, LOL. That's on the back burner along with an LED message board for the rear side windows, lol.
Sure... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082YD8SKB?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

It's loud enough that when I tested it in the garage I did NOT want to do it again. Sounds kind of like one of those air horns I'd use while out boating. It will definitely get more attention than the stock horn.

Reactions: Smokin' Joe
30441 - 30460 of 30753 Posts