Ford Focus ST Forum banner

29901 - 29920 of 30114 Posts

·
Registered
2017 MM ST3
473 Posts
I fitted some auto opening tailgate struts, from Emerald Struts today, easy job with great results, if anyone is interested, have a look at their website, they will do international shipping too. View attachment 391350
those look nice. are they just stronger than the factory ones? add it to the list of sh!t I want lol.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
those look nice. are they just stronger than the factory ones? add it to the list of sh!t I want lol.
There was another company making struts like this (German sounding?) and i believe the idea is the small spring is what helps get the hatch going up enough to where the struts are able to do the rest. So you pop the hatch with your remote, it has enough pressure to get the hatch up all the way. Downside is it might take a bit more force to close but thats something I'm not too worried about.

Im going to order these, the struts on my '13 have been a little soft for a while now. These will be convenient for the curbside grocery deliveries (just pop the hatch when they are near the car vs leaving it open or them fumbling with how to open it) or when i know i will have my hands full going out to the car. FYI your card company/bank may have a foreign conversion rate, for me Chase is 3% and PayPal is 2.5%. I'm using my wife's capital one that has 0%...save yourself a couple bucks (beer money for me!)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Had it appraised for trade in on a pretty blue car.
20210427_191438.jpg

Drove said pretty blue car.
Drift mode is fun, the rest is gross.
Slow AF. Got gapped by a camaro on the test drive, looked like a 6 cyl but had some mods possibly. Definitely had an exhaust.
St pulls much harder.
Returned to dealership, they offered 5k for my 16' with 80k miles, I probably could sell it privately for at least 10k. They want 35k for the RS and won't budge.
Told them they were smoking crack, nicely.
Who tf if gonna pay 25k more for the same car with AWD that doesn't pull as hard?
I'll just go buy a beater subie for that kinda money. Lol

Oh, and the coolant was low, headgasket had not had a recall and it was missing HARD the entire test drive. Steam from the exaust on an 85° day.....Hmmmmmm. Maybe I'll buy it for cheap when it lets go. Haha

·
Registered
2,527 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have been waffling on this mod for some time now...that huge chunk of metal is gross. Pretty straight forward job, something not too terrible to do on jackstands?

Car is gonna be better than ever after this (and of course the lovely pop and drop bits you are adding)
Super simple. Gonna take longer to clean up the oil and pull the pan. Super simple on jackstands. Plenty of room.

Rest of the goodies go in Saturday.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
434 Posts
Reactions: Smokin' Joe

·
Administrator
11,817 Posts
I have wondered about mod.
I chicken out everytime I read about it.
Lol, i pulled mine at like 30k. Screw those things. They really are like 19lbs.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Had it appraised for trade in on a pretty blue car.
View attachment 391390
Drove said pretty blue car.
Drift mode is fun, the rest is gross.
Yeah, I actually did a 5 day 'drive & test' with a shadow black '17 RS before I traded my '14 ST for an '18 ST. It had 7K miles for $33K, but my Wife literally HATED it for some reasons... Devil vibes go to female emotions. Don't be swayed! Still, it requited an immediate $4k investment in electronically controlled coils. My bad, most women are always effin' wrong.... (about cars at least)

Reactions: Skykri

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Turbosmart BPV, PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM, JBR SS Arm, 245/40R18
1,156 Posts
I did the same! Well worth it IMO.
So, have to ask... If the helper springs pop the hatch open, did you get the BCM update so the hatch won't open going down the road?

·
Registered
548 Posts
So, have to ask... If the helper springs pop the hatch open, did you get the BCM update so the hatch won't open going down the road?
No mods required. It's just a straight strut swap. I made a quick vid as a demo here;
TBH, I've never actually tried opening the hatch by pushing the button in the cabin or the remote while moving. Might be worth a quick test I suppose unless someone else has done it already.

·
Registered
2017 Focus ST3
355 Posts
No mods required. It's just a straight strut swap. I made a quick vid as a demo here;
TBH, I've never actually tried opening the hatch by pushing the button in the cabin or the remote while moving. Might be worth a quick test I suppose unless someone else has done it already.
I've hit the button on the dash before by accident going down the road, didn't do anything.

29901 - 29920 of 30114 Posts