Ford Focus ST Forum banner

29881 - 29900 of 29947 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
You can get OAR to learn very quickly by finding a gradual up hill (not steep) staring at 2500 rpm in 5th gear gradually accelerate to 4000 rpm. 2 or 3 pulls like this should get it up to -1.0. And make sure water temp is above 170*; it won't learn below that temp.
I tried some 4th gear half throttle pulls, but I bet I exceeded 4500 rpm (looking back at instructions, cap was 4500). Maybe I can get away with some light 5th gear pulls on the way home.

·
Super Moderator
9,233 Posts
I tried some 4th gear half throttle pulls, but I bet I exceeded 4500 rpm (looking back at instructions, cap was 4500). Maybe I can get away with some light 5th gear pulls on the way home.
You need to put a load on the engine; 5th gear accelerating slowly from 2500 to 4000 on a slight incline did it every time for me. I was helping develop the tune and went through 15 or 20 revisions and had to get OAR to -1.0 every time in order to take logs. Had to relearn sometimes 2 or 3 times a day.

·
Registered
191 Posts
ST center caps installed- look OK except that they are thicker than stock so the grey plastic shows - may have to remove them and paint that area black…..
Yeah, mine have that tiny gray bit exposed, but I don't go to car shows so I doubt it gets much notice, lol.
Looks nice with those Brembos!!
I have the same valve caps too... But they have turned more copperish color where it used to be black. Speaking of paint jobs 😏

Reactions: StanE

·
Super Moderator
9,233 Posts
I'm sorry you don't understand such an obvious joke.
I understand...it's grounded to the ground (like a Camry).

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts
If you're monitoring Ign Corr, put it in 5th gear around 2500 rpms, I think that's about 50mph, then just enough throttle that you see continued positive ignition corrections and see how long you can sustain that. The OAR will start to go negative if it sees sustained positive ign corr over time at partial throttle. Once I figured this out, I got to -1 after just 3-4 gradual pulls.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Playing engine rebuilder this weekend. #1 cylinder went. View attachment 391223

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Those look sexy....too bad you can't see them after install.
What kind of rebuild are you doing? (IE staying mostly stock) Is it staying 2.0L or is it going to a 2.3L? Cams, BT, etc etc etc......I love spending other peoples money.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Finally got my summer tires remounted. Now it feels like a Camry:

That is damn funny....grounded to the ground.... :LOL:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Those look sexy....too bad you can't see them after install.
What kind of rebuild are you doing? (IE staying mostly stock) Is it staying 2.0L or is it going to a 2.3L? Cams, BT, etc etc etc......I love spending other peoples money.
It was already FBO, 2867 on a sidewinder setup, and 4 port meth. Lost cylinder 1, so just doing a pop and drop kit. Nothing crazy, no stroker kit. Push around 450 and call it good.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
551 Posts
You need to put a load on the engine; 5th gear accelerating slowly from 2500 to 4000 on a slight incline did it every time for me. I was helping develop the tune and went through 15 or 20 revisions and had to get OAR to -1.0 every time in order to take logs. Had to relearn sometimes 2 or 3 times a day.
@%1;
@%1;

Thanks! Y’all hit the nail on the head. Got on the highway and with a slow pull uphill in 5th OAR started dropping. -0.97 in 3 attempts and one more for -1.

Couple of full throttle blasts afterwards to celebrate!

29881 - 29900 of 29947 Posts