Ford Focus ST Forum banner

29861 - 29880 of 29947 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Focus ST3
340 Posts
Thanks! I found the cobb manual last night and read through some of it; found the section on shift lights and other setup for the gauge screen. I want to try the 4 gauge running afr and boost on a larger, bar-style gauge, maybe changing to it after car warms up (I like watching oil temp during warm up)--I've always stayed out of >1 second WOT pulls, or completely out of WOT until the gauge on dash reads > 1/4, but having a real number is easier to interpret.

Also pretty sure that I read the LC feature (and likely FFS) require one of the 'Performance' tunes -- aka Stage 1 or greater, and not the Eco or Stage0/Stock. (Not that I need to be using LC on my All seasons..but really just want to hear what the car sounds like.. >< I had a guy revving at me at a light the other night and wanted to rev back. haha I know, dumb..) So I'll be trying 87 oct Stage 1 after I change plugs. I run 91, but I'd rather be very conservative with Cobb's OTS tunes from all I've read on OTS maps in the past..I hope to have a custom tune soon anyway. I'll be monitoring Ign. Correction Cyl. 1 as well as OAR too.

Question for anyone running the Cobb A-pillar mount: should it fit close/tight to the a pillar, or do you have a gap? I have the one end hooked over the top, and the other sitting just against the body weather strip, I just installed this new weather strip and didn't want to mangle it, but should it go over or under the strip some?? I'll try to do a bit more digging and find pics/videos, but figured I'd ask quick.
Mine fits tight. I didn't even have to use the double sided tape with it.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Had to do a 3.5 hr round trip run to pick up zoning valves for the house in floor heat. The only place that has stock was a plumbing distributor and it was cash only. Otherwise it's a five month waiting list. So, a morning trip, sunny day, near empty twisty back roads and great tunes cranked on Spotify. It was glorious.
Also, installed Emerald Struts on the hatch so it opens remotely now. I made a quick vid that I'll post up soonish.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mine fits tight. I didn't even have to use the double sided tape with it.
Thanks for the pics. Mine isn't loose, and is solid, but does have a gap between the bracket and pillar. Ill try to slip it under the weather strip some to get it gapless.

TBH, I got my AP and the mount used on ebay, it had the 2 sided tape attached (used of course, but still tacky enough for the situation).

More work done this morning. Plug replacement complete, likely had stock plugs (from factory) with ~76,350 mi. I'll check the gap later out of curiosity.

Checked compression; cold engine (sat over night), but ambient temps around 75-80*F. (I should have warmed up the engine, but only remembered by the time I had the coil packs removed.. doh.) Also, I'm at ~5,000 feet. It was a 1-man op, so I had to crank, jump out of car, and try to get a pic real quick before the pressure bled off some. Consistent across all 4 cylinders in the 130-132 range. I think I recall seeing an Edge Motorsports video seeing ~134ish at similar elevation on a warm engine, so seems about right.

Also, upon reinstalling the intake tube I noticed the mangled rubber, likely had been that way long before I purchased the car.. Formed it back and with a bit of lube it went back on fine and straight now.

Stage 1 OTS getting flashed next, then off to pick up new t-bolt clamps for my Depo IC install. Oddly the instructions (and I've read others mention) indicate clamps are supplied, but I did not receive clamps. Not a big deal, got a good deal after a discount from Napa. I tried to reach out to Depo, but their website was down all yesterday when I tried...looks like its up again now.

IMG_20210501_111653.jpg IMG_20210501_113238.jpg IMG_20210501_120418.jpg

Reactions: Smokin' Joe

·
Registered
2017 ST cp-e fmic ,invidia hi-flow downpipe, awe track exhaust , steeda Cai. Monster adapt x tune
119 Posts
AP Installed. Found it odd that it recognized my car as a 2016.. My cars sticker indicates 8/2015, does that make it a "2016 model year"? It was sold as and VIN check reads as "2015".
Stage0 flashed.
View attachment 391124

I wasn't able to get Launch control to work with tonights test drive. Maybe it requires Stage 1??
However, I definitely had the 'max rpm' throttle cut working when I was playing around with the "Driving RPM" adjustment. Set it to 4500 RPM and it def worked.
I haven't figured out how to change my shift light RPM--I'd like to lower it to ~5600 for stock.
Oh, and OAR learn did not change at all, stuck at 0.0; including min/max.

Compression test and colder plugs tomorrow?

Monster Tune soon? -- Waiting for confirmation that I can run their tune on a stock IC, until I get the Depo installed in a few weeks. Then KAM reset and go mad? :)
I ran on a stock fmic for a month. It perfectly fine. Just to a KAM reset when you install the new fmic to restart the learning for the additional air

·
Registered
32 Posts
Flashed Stage 1 91 OTS map tonight.
Wow..woke.

I did a good drive with the Stage 1 87, and it may have been slightly better than stock--or at least gave the illusion of such with the throttle response change. Peak boost that I saw or logged was 18.5. It was 91-92 ambient with Charge temps in the 115-125 range.

But, Stage 1 91 is a big difference. Saw 21.5 peak boost once. It also was cooler in the evening, with lower Charge temps. Boost seems to come on much earlier. I'm about to crunch some data logs to see what Ignition correction looks like. But OAR started -.75 and was -1 after a few miles of cruising. Saw a few -.5 or -1 ign corrections on the monitor, but don't think they were from WOT pulls, just the random ones from shifting or at cruise seeds/rpms.

Even more stoked now for a more refined custom tune.

Reactions: Joe R red14st2

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Oil change. Spark plug gap check, tire rotation. Looking at that axle seal, can anyone tell me what it's actually called so I can look into replacing it? I cleaned it all off last oil change and it's definitely leaking
Just not sure what its actually called.
20210430_175502.jpg

20210430_175922.jpg

·
3,085 Posts
@Skykri depending who's catalog you're looking at, it's either going To be called a right output seal or right side axle seal.

Reactions: Skykri

·
Registered
422 Posts
My daughter washed it.....gotta love kids

·
3,085 Posts
I broke mine, well, clutch failed....not quite a modification but I did something to it.
As long as you did it while yelling "straya" out the window, then i can say it's justified.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I only do such things screaming either: "poweeaaaaaaaar" or "watch this"

·
Premium Member
1,195 Posts
My Cobb GESi downpipe finally installed. Install wasn't that bad at all, considering I did it on a dirt driveway on two sets of ramps. Getting at the connectors for the O2 sensors was probably the worst part of it. I'll flash to my Monster tune today to get the learning process started.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Technically was yesterday, but since I recently read (& saw) some aftermarket IC ducting; I decided to see what I could dick around with out of stuff lying around.

Nice 5'x5' sheet of black HDPE that was left over from making some indestructible wheel well liners on the old rally car seemed like a good choice =D I ran out of time to do the top, since I got juuuust a tad side-tracked and thought I could retro-fit the old skid plate too... Since the IC is so tall, I figured it might not even need it since there is air flow just above it from the grill. Not trying to set any records or make it vacuum sealed, lol.

Got close with the skid plate, but needs more flattening (7072 aluminum that's 1/8" thick is a real beast to work with!). Haven't found the perfect solution to mount the rear on the TB Performance torque gusset bar without drilling/tapping yet, but I'll sort that out later. Definitely lots of ways to avoid drilling (don't worry, I was only looking at the big round mounting 'cups' to use, not the bars :p).

I'll do some comparison datalogs today to see if charge air temps improve at all. Anyways, here's a few hours of creative dickin' 'round in the garage, lol.

Used velcro for the layout. Was planning to use 3M double sided tape (for rain deflectors type stuff) once it was all seated, but the stock radiator shroud wasn't on when I test fit so I ended up trimming to match that layout later (no pics). Standard plastic clips to secure it.

Oh, and I fixed that damn hole a rock broke in the fog light bezel thing on the passenger side... That was driving me nuts! =D

·
Registered
551 Posts
Installed plugs and Monster tune on Friday and went for a couple of learning drives. Then the car sat for the rest of the weekend. Only to -0.51 OAR right now on 93 octane. Going to try some data logs tonight or tomorrow night.

New cabin filter yesterday now that pollen season is (almost) over.

·
Super Moderator
9,233 Posts
Installed plugs and Monster tune on Friday and went for a couple of learning drives. Then the car sat for the rest of the weekend. Only to -0.51 OAR right now on 93 octane. Going to try some data logs tonight or tomorrow night.

New cabin filter yesterday now that pollen season is (almost) over.
You can get OAR to learn very quickly by finding a gradual up hill (not steep) staring at 2500 rpm in 5th gear gradually accelerate to 4000 rpm. 2 or 3 pulls like this should get it up to -1.0. And make sure water temp is above 170*; it won't learn below that temp.

·
Registered
2017 Focus ST3
340 Posts
Technically was yesterday, but since I recently read (& saw) some aftermarket IC ducting; I decided to see what I could dick around with out of stuff lying around.

Nice 5'x5' sheet of black HDPE that was left over from making some indestructible wheel well liners on the old rally car seemed like a good choice =D I ran out of time to do the top, since I got juuuust a tad side-tracked and thought I could retro-fit the old skid plate too... Since the IC is so tall, I figured it might not even need it since there is air flow just above it from the grill. Not trying to set any records or make it vacuum sealed, lol.

Got close with the skid plate, but needs more flattening (7072 aluminum that's 1/8" thick is a real beast to work with!). Haven't found the perfect solution to mount the rear on the TB Performance torque gusset bar without drilling/tapping yet, but I'll sort that out later. Definitely lots of ways to avoid drilling (don't worry, I was only looking at the big round mounting 'cups' to use, not the bars :p).

I'll do some comparison datalogs today to see if charge air temps improve at all. Anyways, here's a few hours of creative dickin' 'round in the garage, lol.

Used velcro for the layout. Was planning to use 3M double sided tape (for rain deflectors type stuff) once it was all seated, but the stock radiator shroud wasn't on when I test fit so I ended up trimming to match that layout later (no pics). Standard plastic clips to secure it.
View attachment 391195 View attachment 391196 View attachment 391197 View attachment 391199

Oh, and I fixed that damn hole a rock broke in the fog light bezel thing on the passenger side... That was driving me nuts! =D
I need to make a skid plate for mine. My bumper dragged in and out my garage, and now my RST cup kit does :mad:

·
Premium Member
1,195 Posts
Detailed interiors of both the ST and the Escape. They'll just need a quickie before we leave for Carlisle. Hopefully exteriors next weekend.

Reactions: Smokin' Joe
29861 - 29880 of 29947 Posts