Ford Focus ST Forum banner
26,801 - 26,820 of 36,123 Posts
Chased down some wiring/grounding issues... background story: After driving in heavy rain on the hw, the next time i started the car after work, it just fell on its face and threw codes. So obviously water was getting somewhere and shorting things out (I blame Ohio and all the brine/salt they use.) After the car would dry, it would be back to normal. First thing was to check the wire harness where the splice recall was done. The soldering jobs was decent but the heat shrink job and re-wrapping the harness not so much. So tidied that up, cleaned everything with MAF spray, rewrapped the harness with some high heat Tesa tape and then used some plastic split loom to cover everything. If water was making contact with the harness, it wont be any more.

Then I moved to the grounds under the air box, they werent looking great. So those got cleaned up and coated in dielectric and tightened the bolts real well. I went over and did everything i could see in dielectric. Good news is it was raining last night and i went for a HW cruise to get wet. Let the car sit over night outside in the rain and no issues this morning. It was still wet out this morning, so hoping when i head home tonight, no issues again. It did seem like i had fewer cold start misfires this morning, but that could just be in my head.

Then since i was in the neighbor hood already and had the air box out, i threw in solid shifter bushings. I went with the $30 DEF ones off amazon. Not sure why I didnt do them sooner. Really tightens up everything. I already had solid shifter base bushings, so there is pretty much zero play. I did the shifter cable reset too, I would suggest doing that at the same time.

It's a rats nest down there with my aux fuel and catch can hoses but knock on wood i dont have to look at them for a long time

I keep an eye on the computer down in the driver side wheel well also. The case there in doesn't seem to closer and seal very good. I wrapped zip ties around mine and then put a bag over it.
thanks for the tip, ill get the car jacked up this weekend and make sure its sealed up well. I threw three codes on start up when i went to leave work last night, so i need to dig deeper.
P007B Charged air temp range
P0301 cylinder 1 misfires
P0316 misfires at start up/first 1k cycles.

The two misfire codes are confusing, i had my access port on and had misfires up. I only had 7 misfires within the first 5min of turning the car on, none immediately they gradually appeared. I let the car idle for 10 min, shut the car off, cleared the codes and then drove around my parking lot until the oil was above 130. No issues with idle or excessive misfires (hit 15 on the counter over the next 10min of driving and then no additional ones after the next 15min.) Drove home without issue. I will double check my plug gaps while i am in the garage.

Looks like the P007B could be plug related, i will make sure i have the cold side plug is cleaned and seated properly too. Looks like that code is related to that sensor and i did not remember there was a plug there.
5 MAPT sensor

Did that 12whp mod everyone is talking about...

Nah!!! Just a sticker, LOVE IT.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Alloy wheel

Looked at the cone marks still on the car from last autox (October 2019), shrugged my shoulders, and merely waxed the rest of Pepper because I want to leave time this afternoon to fish for winter steelhead while my backyard stream is steelhead green. Maybe I'll take care of the cone marks tomorrow. Only 2 weeks until annual SCCA tech inspection!

Put kilometer 40.000 on the clock (rougly 25.000 miles)

Been a while since I've posted, so I've got some catch up to do!

• A Mountune filter, an RS airbox lid, and a symposer delete the misses got me for Christmas (on Christmas day)
  • About three weeks ago, I installed a catless downpipe
  • Most recently I ordered a Cobb AP pack from Mountune that included a new filter and a tune by Randy! Looking forward to get it in!

Completed recently:
1. Removed the COBB Shift Block, and installed the JBR.
2. Had to smog the car to change the registration from temporary Phoenix, to CA Registration, so before the smog, I had to reinstall the stock airbox cover. Now I have the RS Lid back in place.
3. B-Pillar back 23% window tint.
4. Dinoco rear glass decal Install(Gotta love Pixar).

Still to do:
1. Steeda Rear Sway Bar
2. Boomba Adjustable By-Pass Valve
3. Depo 3.5 Intercooler and Pipe Set

26,801 - 26,820 of 36,123 Posts