Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 race red. what color should I paint my calipers? please post some pictures if you have them.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Since this is a thread of opinions that you asked for, here's mine...painted calipers will always look just like plain, stock, painted calipers and nothing more. Nothing looks any better than just the stock calipers kept up and kept clean! There's another thread on here titled "what do you think is rice" or something to that effect....painted calipers, especially when you get outside any simple color (red, silver), look rice and cheap. Now, having said all that, I 100% support to each his own. No one has to be happy with your car but you, so pick what color YOU want, not which color yahoo's on here want.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
^ I like the black idea, might be biased cause red/black was my h.s. colors but I always thought they went well. Also if you are doing them custom might as well be different from the red ones that come with it. Silver would be nice too.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I honestly absolutely love the stock shine of the silver calipers on my OW 17. My vote is like others said, leave it stock. The paint on all the bracketry looks dumb imo, like that picture above with the "acid green" would look fine if all of those brake pad brackets and other sheet metal weren't showing, not to mention the deep deposits where brake dust can collect and can't be cleaned and is going to stand out as seen in that image. Aftermarket calipers, like brembo or wildwood, that are designed to hide the bracketry and come painted from the factory, now those look good. The answer also depends on what else you have going on with your car like wheel color, under hood accents etc,

Regardless, you do you, and I think gold would look great on it. I just did a quick google search for calipers on a red car and some gold ones came up that looked sweet

·
Registered
181 Posts
Painting the calipers can be a good way to give your car a little character and personality. Think of it like nail polish on a pretty woman's fingertips. Some people love colors that pop (red, blue, purple, green, orange, yellow), others want something subtle (black, silver, white), while others prefer nothing at all. Be sure to prep and clean them well before you get started. Chipping and peeling paint because of poor pre-work will look awful...

I used Ford Engine Blue (Duplicolor Engine Enamel with Ceramic) on my white ST:

I also used Burnt Copper Metallic (VHT Engine Paint) on my white Jetta a couple years ago:

And basic red caliper paint from Duplicolor on my silver Sportwagen a few years ago:

The high temp engine paints give you a few more color choices than most "Caliper Paint" and will be very durable. Mine have held up just fine with no issues, although I haven't done any track events with these cars.

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
I honestly absolutely love the stock shine of the silver calipers on my OW 17. My vote is like others said, leave it stock. The paint on all the bracketry looks dumb imo, like that picture above with the "acid green" would look fine if all of those brake pad brackets and other sheet metal weren't showing, not to mention the deep deposits where brake dust can collect and can't be cleaned and is going to stand out as seen in that image. Aftermarket calipers, like brembo or wildwood, that are designed to hide the bracketry and come painted from the factory, now those look good. The answer also depends on what else you have going on with your car like wheel color, under hood accents etc,

Regardless, you do you, and I think gold would look great on it. I just did a quick google search for calipers on a red car and some gold ones came up that looked sweet
I agree about paint on anything but the caliper; it's pretty easy to pop off the spring clip and mask the rest, or unbolt the caliper and remove everything. Makes for a cleaner look.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I did the Duplicolor red w/ ceramic. My car is Kona Blue though.
After Paint.JPG
After Paint 2.JPG

·
Registered
463 Posts
My front calipers are RUSTY somehow. I think this car wasn't cleaned much by the prior owner, and in many ways it shows.

Anyway, I'm going to wire brush the rust off the metal parts, scotch pad to clean up, then hit them with some cast iron coat. Should be slightly more gray than the factory aluminum without shine, but be easier to maintain than the raw aluminum.

Similar to this, no logos... Thought I could add a simple ST logo I suppose...

·
Registered
651 Posts
I'd stick with Red/Black/Silver. IMO any other color is going to clash with a Red car.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I don't see mention of caliper covers, so here goes. I was never fond of our calipers painted any color. First off they are just butt ugly to start with, and painting them is like putting lipstick on a pig; still butt ugly. Second; they still collect brake dust and grime. So not only are they butt ugly, they get dirty and stay dirty, and they are difficult to get clean because of all casting pits. So now you have a pig with lipstick that went back out and wallowed in the mud.
Solution; MGP caliper covers. They look nice, stay clean, and are available in different colors in case you don't like red. If you want something more subtle they come in flat black. They are powder coated so they stay clean naturally and are easy to hit with a brush when washing the car.
https://goo.gl/images/JjizYK

Reactions: Go Kart

·
Registered
463 Posts
I don't see mention of caliper covers, so here goes. I was never fond of our calipers painted any color. First off they are just butt ugly to start with, and painting them is like putting lipstick on a pig; still butt ugly. Second; they still collect brake dust and grime. So not only are they butt ugly, they get dirty and stay dirty, and they are difficult to get clean because of all casting pits. So now you have a pig with lipstick that went back out and wallowed in the mud.
Solution; MGP caliper covers. They look nice, stay clean, and are available in different colors in case you don't like red. If you want something more subtle they come in flat black. They are powder coated so they stay clean naturally and are easy to hit with a brush when washing the car.
https://goo.gl/images/JjizYK
And you look like a wanna-be BBK owner with a too cheap to do it right ricer kit. No thanks.

·
Registered
768 Posts
And you look like a wanna-be BBK owner with a too cheap to do it right ricer kit. No thanks.
This X10. The only thing more rice than green painted calipers are caliper covers. Bone stock calipers straight up left the f*** alone look better than either option. Save your money and effort for a big brake kit from someone.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
this times 10...

caliper covers just looks cheap, fake and like you're trying too hard, its really the same as bone stock base Civic that throws a fart can on and adds a 2' GT road racing wing on it. or when V6 mustang owners put cobra snakes on their cars. the exact motto of ricers world wide is all show and no go. sure you might fool somebody driving by as they look at it from twenty feet away, but as soon as you get anywhere near close to it, you're gonna see it for what it is.

unfortunately, if you want the looks of bad ass brakes, there is no shortcut. you've got to pay to play and get a real set of brakes. even painted OEM brakes look ten times better than a cheap set of covers.

my Lincoln has painted calipers and the ST has the red OEM calipers, both as very easy to clean, usually just normal power washing and a quick brushing while cleaning the wheels and they are back to looking good.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I don't know what a BBK is so I am not the least bit offended. Also, to each his own. These kind of remarks coming from people that think nothing of plastidipping their wheels and hood and putting fake carbon fiber on the interior bits. LOL

Reactions: jesse_sanders

·
Registered
463 Posts
I don't know what a BBK is so I am not the least bit offended. Also, to each his own. These kind of remarks coming from people that think nothing of plastidipping their wheels and hood and putting fake carbon fiber on the interior bits. LOL
Of which I have done none? BBK = Big Brake Kit

I've seen brake caliper covers on vehicles such as grandma's GRAND CHEROKEE and they look absolutely ridiculous.

I do my own work, usually as a learning process, thank you very much.

Both of these setups are relatively easy to maintain. Rag/gentle brush through the spokes and good to go. Much easier than the PITA wheels on the SE anyway.

Subtle Ford dark blue on my old SE

Race-ready Red on my '86 GT with 13" SN95 Cobra brakes.

Reactions: Dan00Hawk

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Ah, big brake kit. Thanks! And thanks for the opinions. I still like them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts